Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP: Wish you had a smaller power adapter? Here's the answer to your problems.

MBP: Wish you had a smaller power adapter? Here's the answer to your problems.
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 12:20 AM

From MacWorld's Macbook 13 faq:

"Apple says you can use the more powerful, 85-watt power supply with a MacBook without any problems, and that in 80 percent to 90 percent of situations, you can use the MacBook’s power supply with the more-demanding MacBook Pro as well. If you’re really taxing the MacBook Pro’s processor with some heavy-duty work, the MacBook’s adapter will still be able to power the MacBook Pro—but it may not have any power left over to charge its battery."

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firs...kfaq/index.php

So, if your MBP adapter is too big, just get an MB adapter.

Really... more and more, everything I read about the MB and the MBP drives home the fact in my mind that the MB is a much more through-designed system than the MBP...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006, 02:50 AM

*comment self-censored*

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

skyman
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yakov
Really... more and more, everything I read about the MB and the MBP drives home the fact in my mind that the MB is a much more through-designed system than the MBP...
That's your opinion.

I think the MB keyboard sucks.

Apple needs a sub $1000 notebook.

Apple screwed over the 1.83GHz MBP owners when it bumped the low end speed to 2GHz so it would have a slight advantage over the MB.

I like the MBP much better than the MB.

I need a 15" screen.

These are my opinions.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 10:05 AM

^^that's because you're one of the victim...
seriously.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by skyman
Apple screwed over the 1.83GHz MBP owners when it bumped the low end speed to 2GHz so it would have a slight advantage over the MB.
Oh Bullshit.

We're on the Intel train now.

Expect incremental upgrades on the high end ever three to five months. The MacBook Pro will come with 2.16 and 2.33 GHz by September.

Nobody screwed anybody. Keep your penis envy under the bedspread.

uicandrew
Senior User
May 21, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
We're on the Intel train now.

Expect incremental upgrades on the high end ever three to five months. The MacBook Pro will come with 2.16 and 2.33 GHz by September.
i agree. the intel/amd chips have always (at least in the past couple years) progressed faster than the PPC. that's the beauty of competition. AMD and Intel have been pushing each other forward. AMD smoked/shocked intel with their Athlon 64 chip a while back, and intel has surprised amd with the core duo chips. AMD is firing back with the "athlon x2" and "turion x2"

the bad side to this is that i predict that mac resale values will not be as high as they used to be, especially in a year or so when the adobe apps go universal binary and "top of the line" customers no longer have reason to stay with PPC.

top of the line models won't stay top of the line for much longer. look at the ibook. the top speed stayed at 1.42 for close to 300 days. and look at the powerbook. it stayed at 1.67 for 1 full year (introduced in 1/2005)

enough said.

as for the original post, the same is said about using a 45W power adapter from a titanium powerbook on a newer aluminum powerbook which uses a 65W. it'll work, but not optimally.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 02:10 PM

Hey folks, I'm not saying "you suck if you have a Macbook Pro." Cool down. Just saying what it looks like Apple did, which is pushed the MBP out the doors while they tuned up the design on the MB. Even the boneheaded microphone-in-the-speaker thing, which is not a problem on the MB.

I hope that whatever computer you have does what you need it to do.

I know I'm not really a big fan of the Macbook's glossy screen and weird keyboard, which I'm kind of stuck with.

(By the way: The Macbook is sub-$1000, if you order from Amazon.)

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
Hey folks, I'm not saying "you suck if you have a Macbook Pro." Cool down. Just saying what it looks like Apple did, which is pushed the MBP out the doors while they tuned up the design on the MB. Even the boneheaded microphone-in-the-speaker thing, which is not a problem on the MB.
The mic placements on both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro are exactly in the same place that they were on their PowerPC conterparts. The latest iBooks and Powerbooks had them in the same places.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Keep your penis envy under the bedspread.
You know what they say.... you brought the subject up not me
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 07:31 AM

nonsense

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc
The mic placements on both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro are exactly in the same place that they were on their PowerPC conterparts. The latest iBooks and Powerbooks had them in the same places.

actually, the mic on the 12" powerbook is above the keyboard, on the left (parallel to the power button).

can't be in the speakers anyway, which are behind the keyboard, facing the bottom of the screen lid.

i should know, i use it for skype calls..!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
actually, the mic on the 12" powerbook is above the keyboard, on the left (parallel to the power button).

can't be in the speakers anyway, which are behind the keyboard, facing the bottom of the screen lid.

i should know, i use it for skype calls..!
I wasn't comparing the 15" MBP to the 12" PowerBook.

I was comparing the 15" MBP to the 15" PowerBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules