Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse finally getting ready!! Pics!

Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse finally getting ready!! Pics! (Page 2)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Too bad the right click doesn't work. It's still a one button mouse. And a poor one at that. Shame on you Apple.
??
Works OK for me.

porieux
Baninated
Jul 27, 2006, 07:56 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:48 AM. )

PeterKG
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrwilly123
I just got mine today. I noticed a very important detail that many might be missing: True 360 scrolling. The wired version advertised it, but it only scrolled horizontally and vertically. The new driver allows the scroll ball to scroll diagonally also, something the original couldn't do.

ODDLY enough, after I installed the driver which (I think) you can only get on the CD with the BT version, I plugged my old Mighty Mouse in, and I could use 360 scrolling on that (wired) version. So why doesn't Apple release this new driver for people still using the wired mouse? Seems weird.
Open the Bluetooth preferences in Keyboard and Mouse. You see a drop down with scrolling options, and 360 degrees is an option.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 10:37 PM

So it doesn't sound like you can cook nades.

Ah, well. I guess I'll have to get one and actually use it for work or somethin'…
'

Yeah it works once in a while, if you lift the left finger up first. I don't call that working.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
New Mighty Mouse software comes with the wireless Mighty Mouse:

Slight change to the mouse control panel (note new zoom options at the bottom):

The "Options" button next to the zoom control:

Works nicely; uses the same routines as the Universal Access zoom functions do, but very easy to operate. Nice feature!
I've just now noticed that since installing the new Mighty Mouse software, my MBP's trackpad's control preference pane now has the same Zoom control...

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
Open the Bluetooth preferences in Keyboard and Mouse. You see a drop down with scrolling options, and 360 degrees is an option.
First off, it's in the Mouse tab. But what I was saying was that this option is only available once you have installed the driver included only with the BT mouse. And yet it works with the wired version too.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2006, 02:19 AM

Yeah it works once in a while, if you lift the left finger up first. I don't call that working.
It works consistently if you lift the left finger up.

Some people are capable of this.

Others fail at the Mighty Mouse.

lubberwort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 01:29 PM

Just got my Mighty Mouse today, I'm very pleased with it. As a user of the old pro mouse, I had no problems switching. But since the laser is not visible to the naked eye, apple introduced a small led light right above the lasor sensor that is green when the mouse is on and has power. I just think the amazing this is that when the mouse is down on a surface, the green light doesn't light up, it only turns on when its picked up to look at it. Thats just one of the cool things on why I like apple products.

Cozmo85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 02:27 PM

How is the lag with the mouse? the old bluetooth mouse i tried had a lag.

Nuks
Jul 28, 2006, 03:07 PM

Hahah, I was thinking, **** I'm not going to like it, because of all this "lifting your left finger first" nonsense, but then I realized that I do it anyway!

lubberwort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 03:22 PM

I haven't experienced any lag at all, even after its been sitting without moving for awhile.

lesman
Jul 28, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
You're right about that. I wouldn't get married and put myself in a situation where I need permission to buy a $70 mouse.
Sounds like a personal attack to me. I think you need to stop commenting on people's personal lives and preferences. It'd do ya some good.
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2006, 02:03 AM

bad vibes dude. bummer

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2006, 05:22 AM

I had the same problem with my wireless Mighty Mouse:

With the right side set to secondary button and the left to primary button I was always getting primary clicks even when prodding the right side of the mouse without touching it anywhere else.

I was all about to throw the rattle from the pram and call Apple, when I tried turning the mouse off & on again. This fixed it. If this problem reoccurs over time I'll call Apple and ask for a replacement.

Overall I'm pleased with it - the tracking is excellent, there is no lag and it works on more surfaces without problems than the wired Mighty Mouse.

- mrwalker

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2006, 11:53 AM

This clicking thing seems to be a common issue. Are the 2 buttons touch sensitive? Even if they are, why doesnt it recognize taps? Even if you rest your palm on the mouse, you usually tap your finger when you need to click on something.. wierd!

mrwalker, please keep us updated on if the problem gets solved eventually or does it always need to be turned off and on..

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2006, 10:55 PM

I went to the apple store the other day and trield right clicking ... no work. What exactly does touch sensitive mean? Like I have to take all fingers off of the front of the mouse except the right button finger before clicking? Or can I right click with all of my fingers still on the mouse? The latter didn't work..

lesman
Jul 31, 2006, 11:37 PM

Well I'm not exactly sure how everyone else is doing it, but I've always used the Mighty Mouse like I would any other 2 button mouse....maybe you're trying too hard?
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
I went to the apple store the other day and trield right clicking ... no work. What exactly does touch sensitive mean? Like I have to take all fingers off of the front of the mouse except the right button finger before clicking? Or can I right click with all of my fingers still on the mouse? The latter didn't work..
Two things...

One is that, yes, you must lift your index finger off the left half of the mouse for the right click to register. Remember, there is only one "button" on the Mighty Mouse, but each left and right half have a sensor under the plastic shell that detects if your finger is present. A finger touching the left half will register as a default (left) click. This is by design. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I lift my index finger a couple of millimeters anyway when right clicking, so it works just fine for me. Others don't/can't do this.

Second is that its possible the software was set to act as a single button mouse, regardless of where you tapped it. This could be why you couldn't make it work. Yes, there are still some Mac users who like a single button mouse.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nuks
Hahah, I was thinking, **** I'm not going to like it, because of all this "lifting your left finger first" nonsense, but then I realized that I do it anyway!
Same here!

Seems that i hod the mouse with my thumb and little finger (and the one next to it), and i dont actually touch the buttons till i need to.

In anycase - the MM will just be for portable use - ill stick to the logitech while im at home.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 01:27 AM

Yeah, I also tend to lift my index finger when right-clicking, so it won't bother me. I think I'll pick up a wired MM instead, assuming I can find a way to get my hands on the new drivers included with the Bluetooth model. Anyone wanna host them somewhere? I checked, and VersionTracker, MacUpdate, and the official Apple site do not have them available for download. I'd love to get my hands on the 360º scrolling and zoom features...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by lesman
Well I'm not exactly sure how everyone else is doing it, but I've always used the Mighty Mouse like I would any other 2 button mouse....maybe you're trying too hard?
Same here. I hold it and use it like any other 2-button mouse - no problems with right clicking.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Personally, it doesn't bother me as I lift my index finger a couple of millimeters anyway when right clicking, so it works just fine for me. Others don't/can't do this.
Really? Doesn't everyone?

Try this experiment: place your hand face down on a flat surface, and *gently* press down using first your index finger, then your middle finger. Note what naturally occurs.

re: new zoom options in trackpad

Weird but neat. Seems like a preview of functionality to come across all laptops.

memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 07:01 PM

Take 15 seconds to retrain the muscle memory in your finger.

memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
In the Apple Store the Mighty Mice are not configured for right-clicking by default, which is probably why it didn't work. It has to be enabled first.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 01:44 AM

Hate to semi-resurrect this thread, but does anyone know if there's anywhere online where I can find the drivers for the BT mouse? I just recently bought the standard Mighty Mouse, definitely enjoy it, but would absolutely love to have zoom and 360º scrolling if possible. Thanks!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 09:28 AM

They are not publicly available. But I hope Apple will include them with the next revision of Tiger.

Chris

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 02:33 AM

The zoom is very spiffy, it really makes me wonder about resolution independence in Leopard... hmmmm. I'm on my second mouse because the right click on the first one was buggy (tested at the Apple Store and confirmed). Other than that inconvenience, I'm very happy to have found a normal size bluetooth mouse. All of the ones out there are huge top of the line Logitech/Microsofts or tiny laptop mice. Plus the 360 scroll is sexy. I can't wait to use this thing with my macbook pro, when it comes out.

RzinDubs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 03:56 AM

Does anyone use it for games? Is it good for that?
Its a Mac Attack

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RzinDubs
Does anyone use it for games? Is it good for that?
The Mighty Mouse (either wired or wireless) will work fine for games, provided you're not playing games that require multiple buttons to be depressed at the same time. As there is only one physical button on the Mighty Mouse, it won't do multiple simultaneous button presses.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 11:41 PM

They should make a clear one w/ the inside black like the old one, then i'd buy one

Forum Links
Forum Rules