Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problems with screen geometry

Problems with screen geometry
Simon Young
Sep 10, 2001, 09:52 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it may be software related. Anyway:

I have a 500Mhz Snow iMac with CD-RW and 512Mb RAM. The problem: whenever I set the screen geometry so that it's just right, after I shut the system down for a small period of time the settings are lost. When I start the iMac up again the next day, for instance, it will have stretched a little either vertically or horizontally, and rotated a little as well. It occurs on both Mac OS 9.1 and X, and on all different resolutions (although I always use 1024x768). Somebody suggested that it could be to do with the battery, although the date and time are always correct, so I'm not convinced. It seems to be software related, and I've tried deleting the Monitor Preferences folder in 9.1 (in case it was corrupted), but this didn't change things.

Sometimes (rarely) it seems to shift a little after changing resolution, or after exiting a game. This is not as drastic as after a shutdown, but it's still annoying. Shouldn't the screen stay exactly where I position it, unless I say so?

I hope someone can solve this riddle, as I really don't want to take my cool iMac back to the shop where I got it.

Si

larix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2001, 12:03 AM

I had a similar problem with an iMac DV 400 Mhz, OS 9.1. Not only after shutdown, but also while working the screen would shift to the left or the right. After updating the firmware the screen got really crazy.
Eventually the analog videobord was replaced -under warranty. Now I still have small shifts down, but I can live with that.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: larix ]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2001, 09:59 AM

I have this same thing happen with my 600 MHz Graphite iMac. It's just the CRT, nothing to worry about. The same thing happens with the 17" CRT with my PC at work. I think it has to do with the CRT "warming up", for lack of a better term.

That's why a CRT will always have a gap between the image and the edge of the screen by default. I always leave a bit of a gap now (not as big as the default). It will shrink a little bit as it warms up. If you have it set perfect, shut it down, then it's expanded beyond the edges the next morning, just leave it for a while. It will eventurally shrink back to the way you had it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules