Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ibook G4 and Linksys router

ibook G4 and Linksys router
connieiz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 09:31 PM

This is my first post to MacNN about a computer problem. Please forgive my limited computer language/knowledge.

I'm having a problem with new computer I've purchased. I bought a Mac iBook G4 (OSX 10.4.7 operating system). I have been trying to configure my router, a Linksys WRT54G.

Currently, I have the router software loaded on to a Windows XP pc because Linksys Customer Service staff could not assist me load it on the ibook. I am using the Mac's wireless connection to connect to the internet, although it is not a secure connection. Linksys Customer Service staff are unable to assist me in configuring this router on the Mac.

Can someone please walk me through the process of configuring the Linksys router on my Mac? I want to make the connection a secure connection

Thanks,

Connieiz

ibook_steve
Aug 20, 2006, 12:31 AM

1. This should be in the networking forum.

2. I don't have a Linksys, but since when is software required to configure a router? Usually you just connect to the built-in web server of the router and configure everything. Checking Linksys's web site, I see that they have some sort of auto configuration software for XP, which is what I guess you are talking about. You don't need it. Just connect to the web server in the router (usually at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and configure all your settings.

You probably also have a manual for your router that might help.

Steve

ChasingApple
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 07:11 AM

Yep, happened to my friend that bought the same router for his new Macbook, drove us nuts til we did the best thing we could have, took it back and bought a D-Link router. The D-Link worked out of the box for all 3 Macs with ZERO config.

Take that Linksys POS back.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2006, 07:31 AM

Try to find the IP adress to configure the router.
Check the manual.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2006, 08:28 AM

FWIW, I've read that the WRT54G rev. 5 routers are real garbage. If you happen to have one of these, I would seriously consider ChasingApple's advice and return it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2006, 10:24 AM

This should indeed be in the Networking forum, but since you're new here, I'll give you some slack and just move it there.

There should be NO need for any "software" to configure ANY Linksys router. You plug your ethernet cable into it (in one of the LAN ports) and use your browser to open the configuration pages in it through IP 192.168.1.1. Once you get there, it's as simple as following the instructions in the manual. And for simple stuff like surfing, email and file sharing, even the much maligned (and justly so) WRT 54G hardware version 5 should work fine for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dialo
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
FWIW, I've read that the WRT54G rev. 5 routers are real garbage.
I've never heard anything about them being "real garbage." The only two significant differences I know of are smaller flash ram and the new installed OS.
Originally Posted by ChasingApple
Yep, happened to my friend that bought the same router for his new Macbook, drove us nuts til we did the best thing we could have, took it back and bought a D-Link router. The D-Link worked out of the box for all 3 Macs with ZERO config.
I really don't understand this post. On routers of both brands getting to the config settings is virtually identical: connect to the router through ethernet or wireless and point your browser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. And "ZERO config"? Who uses a router with "ZERO config" other than the kind of people who think IE is the best browser on earth?

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dialo
I've never heard anything about them being "real garbage." The only two significant differences I know of are smaller flash ram and the new installed OS.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0..._lousy_router/

dialo
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 12:17 PM

indeed, it looks like garbage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules