Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > configuring internet using DHCP

configuring internet using DHCP
connieiz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 03:01 PM

I am at friend’s place and want to configure my ibook G4 so I can access her high speed DSL internet using DHCP (she does not have a router so WiFI is not an option). I understand in the TCP/IP tab, I click using DHCP. What else do I need to do, to be able to access the internet from this point?

Thanks,

Connieiz

ibook_steve
Sep 4, 2006, 03:10 PM

Though this has absolutely nothing to do specifically with iBooks, it depends on how the connection works. If there's no router and you are connecting directly to the DSL modem with an ethernet cable, you may need to configure PPPoE to log in to the DSL connection with a user name and password. If the modem handles this, then yes, all you would need to do would be set TCP/IP to DHCP.

Steve

connieiz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Though this has absolutely nothing to do specifically with iBooks, it depends on how the connection works. If there's no router and you are connecting directly to the DSL modem with an ethernet cable, you may need to configure PPPoE to log in to the DSL connection with a user name and password. If the modem handles this, then yes, all you would need to do would be set TCP/IP to DHCP.

Steve
Steve-

I am connecting directly using an ethernet cable. Do I need to use my friend's user name and pswd?
If I called the ISP could they tell me what I need to do? I'm really trying to avoid using PPoE.

Thanks for the info.

Connie

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 4, 2006, 04:42 PM

Steve's right that this belongs in the Networking forum, but as you're new, I'll move it for you instead of just closing it.

And he's also right that you'll need to set up PPPoE on your computer to get it to connect through the DSL modem (unless it's set up as a modem/router-that's a different story). Where are you in the world, what's the ISP, and what sort of DSL (there are a few flavors, but your friend may not know about them) is it?

Edited for fat-fingered spelling.
( Last edited by ghporter; Sep 5, 2006 at 08:00 AM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

connieiz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Steve's right that this belongs in the Networkinf forum, but as you're new, I'll move it for you instead of just closing it.

And he's also right that you'll need to set up PPPoE on your computer to get it to connect through the DSL modem (unless it's set up as a modem/router-that's a different story). Where are you in the world, what's the ISP, and what sort of DSL (there are a few flavors, but your friend may not know about them) is it?
Glenn-

Thanks for moving this post. I understand now why this needs to be in networking. I'll pay closer attention to where I make my posts in future.

I'm in Canada and the ISP is Sympatico (a division of Bell Canada). What do you mean by, what sort of DSL (my friend nor I know about them)?

I've read several of your posts; it seems like you understand this stuff well. Thanks for helping me out.

Connie

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2006, 08:06 AM

Connie, thanks for the vote of confidence. Fortunately, looking like I know what's going on has just taken paying attention to what others have said and applying it; my home network runs nicely because I learn from other people (and their mistakes!).

Since you're on Simpatico, you have standard DSL-what people outside North America call "ADSL" (Asymetrical DSL is where you have one speed for downloads and a different one for uploads). That also means you NEED PPPoE. That's not a big deal by any means, and it's not hard to set up. Further, if you just want this connection for a while, set it up as a new "Location" in the Networking Preferences pane, and when you no longer need it, just delete the location.

I hope that helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

connieiz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 04:47 PM

Glenn-

Since I need PPoE, I'll contact Sympatico and ask them to walk me through the set up. I will open it up as a New Location, good suggestion.

Thanks again,

Connie

Forum Links
Forum Rules