Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MB pro extremely slow after waking up

MB pro extremely slow after waking up
dosequis09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 09:31 AM

I did some quick research and did not find this topic discussed, but I am not positive. Anyway, sometimes when I wake my MB pro up by opening it the mouse seems very slow and at times unresponsive. I thought that was the only problem, but now I am noticing that the whole computer is slow. Switching between spaces (in leopard) and even typing this post was slow? Is this a common problem? Is it fixable? The only thing that seems to fix it is a restart.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 12:19 PM

What sort of third-party drivers or software do you have installed? This sounds like some errant process running in the background, which, over time, spools out of control.

Anything by Norton or Logitech?

dosequis09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 12:27 PM

All I have is adobe software (photoshop, illustrator, etc.), some widgets (I heard that iStat might be the problem so I deleted it and have not yet concluded that it was the cause), but nothing really runs in the background. And it has been happening almost since I got the computer back in December. I use firefox for internet then some shareware like appzapper and iSquint. Hope this helps.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 01:27 PM

Open up Activity Monitor and sort descending by the CPU column (so that the highest CPU numbers are at the top). Keep this up before a sleep, that way you can see the activity after it wakes up. You may be able to spot a process or two that jumps in CPU usage.

Make sure you have 'All Processes' selected from the toolbar, not just 'My Processes'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules