Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The most boring sport

View Poll Results: Which is the most boring sport?
Poll Options:
Football (aka soccer) 11 votes (18.64%)
American Football 8 votes (13.56%)
Rugby 0 votes (0%)
Basketball 3 votes (5.08%)
Hockey 1 votes (1.69%)
Baseball 14 votes (23.73%)
Snooker 2 votes (3.39%)
Bowls 0 votes (0%)
10 Pin Bowling 3 votes (5.08%)
Cricket 4 votes (6.78%)
Darts 4 votes (6.78%)
Other 9 votes (15.25%)
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll
The most boring sport (Page 2)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So the fact that it's something many competent athletes can't do proves it's a sport? By that measure, Bayesian mathematics is probably the world's ultimate sport.
Don't play stupid.

Originally Posted by my post
combination of mental and physical skill
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 10:08 AM

Of the sporting events i've actually attended... American Football is the most boring. Why ? Of the time spent at a match(college games) from start to finish, the game was usually in play for a fraction of time (ie 1 hour). While most Americans might disagree (probably because it isnt a 'high' scoring sport or maybe its just blind patriotism/group-think) soccer, to me is a heck of a lot more exciting.

An alternative to American Football (for those of you who are interested), that i personally find a LOT quicker, and a better test of stamina, skill and strength is Australian Rules Football.... it's faster, less armor, and it belongs to the same 'family' of sport.

2009 AFL commercial (probably not the best advert, but gives you a general idea of the sport).

Close second for most boring would be golf for me.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM. )

macroy
Mac Elite
May 31, 2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
You seem to be mistaken. Miniature golf is more of a sport than real golf. It has (more complicated) obstacles, distractions, and precision timing, whereas regular golf has polo shirts, cleats so you don't slip on your ass and visors for no reason.
That's like saying PIG/HORSE is more of a sport than basketball because you have to make behind the backboard shots, bounce shots and call net/backboard.

'Real' golf is hard enough without all of those "distractions". My guess is that you've probably never hit a golf ball on grass. I'd ask that you try it first. Most people won't even make contact with the ball. More of often than not, that first swing will either catch nothing, or make a huge divot behind the ball.

OreoCookie
May 31, 2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
An alternative to American Football (for those of you who are interested), that i personally find a LOT quicker, and a better test of stamina, skill and strength is Australian Rules Football.... it's faster, less armor, and it belongs to the same 'family' of sport.
Ditto. Rugby seems to me what American football should have been. Much, much more time of continuous play, better (and more interesting) action.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 02:21 AM

I haven't seen an entire rugby match before, but I have watched some Aussie Rules Football; my friends and I were absolutely hooked for as long as it was on TV.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 04:51 AM

I saw a rugby match that ended up being pretty boring - New Zealand 108-13 Portugal in Sept 2007.

But seeing the Haka live was most impressive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 05:18 AM

Why isn't "Running" on the list?

Seriously - Marathon: An exercise in exertion, both for the runner and for the spectator.

Forum Links
Forum Rules