Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple hosts US sale on iTunes movie collections

Apple hosts US sale on iTunes movie collections
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 13, 2013, 09:30 AM

Apple is hosting a rare US sale on iTunes movie collections. In all 25 collections have been discounted, in both their SD and HD formats. The biggest deal may be the Harry Potter Complete Collection, which includes all eight movies but costs only $10. Normally the collection would cost over $125.

More highlights include the non-extended cut of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy -- also priced at $10, versus a standard $45 -- and the Coppola restoration of The Godfather Trilogy, which is only $20. Other collections on sale include ones like Back to the Future, The Matrix, Die Hard, and Austin Powers.

Apple will regularly put individual movies on sale, but tends not to do sales of its bundles. The company is presumably trying to draw more attention to the movie section of iTunes, which is significantly less popular than its music offerings.

twolf2919
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 11:00 AM

Well, that $10 deal on HP seems to have been a mistake - you can't get it for that price. Looking at the Apple site now - it's $59.95 now.

jeffnudi
Aug 13, 2013, 11:11 AM

It shows as $9.95, so I tried to purchase it, and got a message that it is not available for purchase because it is being modified. I guess that's so they can jack the price up to $59.95. Not a set of movies I would pay $59.95 for, but thought it might be worth $9.99. So...no sale. And a great way to "draw more attention to the movie section of iTunes" as the article states.

bitchinbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 11:30 AM

Yeah, what a pile of crap. I tried to buy it 4 times at 9.99 and got the same error. Now its $60.
APPLE SHOULD HONOR THE SALE AT 9.99!

bitchinbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 11:32 AM

Anyone know how we contact Apple to complain?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2013, 11:45 AM

Broot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 11:45 AM

I snagged it myself @ $9.99 - I confirmed the charge on my account with my bank...

bitchinbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 11:52 AM

Ok, I filed a complaint. Lets see what happens.

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 13, 2013, 11:54 AM

Definite mistake on their part. It still lists it at $9.99 for entire HD collection (11:50 AM EST) in iTunes Store but once you confirm you wish to Buy, it comes back with the message "Cannot complete...item is being modified at this time."

No matter how you cut it, Apple will show you that it's their prerogative to change pricing at any point as stated in iTunes Terms & Conditions.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 13, 2013, 11:56 AM

Shows $60 for me.

Ruh-roh...

cbinckley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 07:18 PM

LotR is also not $10 - currently it's $17.99. Someone goofed big time. I was all set to go buy HP and LotR from the iTunes store, but I'm not paying $78. Wonder what the regular prices for these collections are? Or are they only bundled for the "sale"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules