Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > monitorless clone?

monitorless clone?
petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2002, 12:14 AM

I have a PowerCurve 601/120 (7200 clone). I would like to use it to backup files onto through my ethernet router. I got everyting working, but the machine wont start up without a monitor. I want to put the computer underneath my desk (plenty of room) and keep the monitor in a closet. Problem is that when I start up the clone without the monitor, the clone wont appear in the Network Broswer on my iMac. With the monitor, everything works perfect. Is there a way that I can get the clone to start up without having the monitor connected to it? I heven't tried disconnecting the monirot after I get the clone running because I don't want the clone to be on all the time. I want to be able to power it on and a minute or two later be able to connect to it from my iMac. The clone's running OS 7.6. Like I said it works exactly like I want it to with the monitor, just wont work without it.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

-Q-
Feb 6, 2002, 02:54 AM

Try connecting a DB-15 to VGA adaptor to the clone. That generally serves as enough "proof" to the Mac that a monitor is connected.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 07:43 PM

Here's a tip, go to a local computer outlet and say you bought a monitor and it didn't come with the adapter that it requires. I had a guy just hand me one after buying a Viewsonic that didn't have one.

You might just get lucky. The expensive ones cost 25-40 US dollars.

Putting this adapter on the machine will definitely set you up. I have done this on a webserver, that I can always access via telnet or SSH.

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules