Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > rev A motherboard in a rev D iMac?

rev A motherboard in a rev D iMac?
petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2001, 09:41 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a rev A motherboard with the 333 MHz daughter card from a rev D to give the machine the use of a mezziane slot? Just something I have been wondering about. Also could you take a 333MHz daughter card and use it to upgrade the 2333 to 266 MHz's?
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2002, 01:51 AM

the 333 daughtercard upgrade to 233 and 266 machines works very well.

The motherboards are identical for rev. C, and D. Rev B is almost identical but adds infrared. Rev.A has infrared and the rage IIc video chip. the others are equipped with rage pro chips.

It is also possible to overclock the earlier cards to higher speeds.

There's a powerlogix upgrade card or a Sonnet Harmoni card coming if you want to take the easy road to 466 or 500 mhz..
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

petoria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 05:11 PM

I was planning on a Harmoni upgrade in a few months for my rev D, but I was thinking about swapping my motherboard for one with the mezziane slot. Not sure if I will do it, but just wanted to know if it is possible.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2002, 03:36 AM

yes it is possible....if you would have searched the boards you would have found your anwser....without needing to post a new thread on it.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

petoria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 08:13 PM

what did you search for? A search of "iMac motherboard" turns up a bunch of results, only this one being related to a motherboard with a mezziane slot being used in a rev d, or 333MHz daughter card being used in a rev a-c.

Forum Links
Forum Rules