Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Overclockign A Bondi 233

Overclockign A Bondi 233
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2002, 12:39 PM

I found a page that shows you how to overclock these macs. Has anyone ever done it. I was thinking of overclocking all the way to 300MHz. I would add a new bigger heat sink and a fan if I needed to.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2002, 12:48 PM

[Sarcasim]
I'd say go to 500 and use liquid nitrogen.
[/]

Um, never done it, but I've heard if you have a Copper G3, the likelihood of success is much greater than if you have a aluminum G3. I think you can use a little program by NewerTech to find out which you have.

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2002, 01:11 AM

About a larger heatsink qand fan...

When the chassi is in the iMac the fan sits right above the cpu as it is, and there isn't much clearance. So to add a larger heatsink and a new fan would require removal of the fan thats already in there and possibly some trimmin of the metal around the fan hole so the taller heatsink would slid into the case. Good idea though.

Weren't the coppers used in the 266/333 only?
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2002, 08:19 AM

I thought htere was n fn, from the factory?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2002, 10:14 AM

iMacs 233, 266, and 333 have fans.

iMac 350-700 g3 have no fan.

LCD iMacs 700 and 800 G4 have fans.

remove the mass storage chassis from the bottom of your iMac 233-333 and you can see the fan easily.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

BobK
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 01:11 PM

How about posting the link? WTF?

Disco Stu 131
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2002, 12:52 AM

Well i have a diff computer than u, a beige 233, but im assuming same processor and most of the same general specs (but yours is newer). Anyways, right now im running my 233 G3 at 300 mhz. I have had no stability problems, and i am using no additional cooling. It seems to be running fine, cant find a temp program that will work in X to see what the processor is running at, probably a little hot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules