Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > What to do with a dead iMac

What to do with a dead iMac
waffffffle
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 11:30 PM

OK so my relatives get my to come over to their house because their bondi iMac is dead and they want to salvage the data. So I immediately take the thing apart in order to remove the hard drive. I didn't bother to plug the thing in and try to get it to turn on. According to them pressing the power button would do absolutely nothing. They thought it was a dead power supply and I assumed the same. After removing the hard drive I removed the RAM thinking that they could use one of the DIMMs in their blueberry iBook but the iBook rejected both, which I thought was strange.

Anyway after the whole ordeal my cousins now have a dead iMac and nothing to do with it. I was wondering what I should do with the thing. I have not been keeping up with the talk on this forum about putting it into an ATX case so can someone explain that to me? Vmarks has invented some sort of adapter that makes this process easier? What exactly does it do? I've never built a PC before so I don't know too much about ATX cases. Do they include power supplies? Is this a difficult process?

I like the idea of putting this thing in an ATX case so I can use it as a web server. I know there's that iRack thing out there which looks very cool but its very expensive and I have no rack to put it in. I imagine that ATX cases are very cheap.

x user
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 12:31 AM

Welp, you could always just give it to me

ShaneHale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2002, 01:17 AM

I'm currently accepting donations. But seriously...

First figure out whats wrong with it. Once you figure out that, then figure out the cost to fix it. Sometimes in the investment is not worth the final product. But I have a feeling you'll come out on the positive side.

I know a lot of CRT's have been dying in iMacs lately, and planting the power supply and motherboard in an ATX case results in a great and cheap OSX ready mac. The motherboard has a video out on it that is still usable.

Oh well find the problem first.

Shane

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2002, 02:54 AM

If I was out of college (one measly year away) I'd pay for it as is. The motherboard could be valuable to someone with a 266 or 333 iMac (mezziane connector). That and I want to have an empty iMac case for a mod. But I have neither the time or money to do that now.

A suggestion you could try selling it on eBay. I seem to remember dead bondi's going for close to $200 (could be mistaken though, you might want to see what the going price is for sure first).

You could also do an ATX conversion. I think vmarks made an ATX power supply converter. And there is a company that makes a vga adapter for the iMac video out. In an ATX case you have room to add another drive, like an internal cd-rw or second hard drive. The early iMacs have two ATA busses, only master drives are bootable.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

nest18
May 2, 2002, 05:53 AM

An aquarium
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2002, 05:42 PM

Using an ATX case is pretty easy.

Using it with my adapter is even easier.

Can you use a screwdriver? power drill?

If so, you've got the proper skills needed.

Email me, I'll answer all your questions, and help you get started.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules