Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite Beer?

Favorite Beer? (Page 2)
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2002, 02:44 PM

*CULTURAL SLUR WARNING*
I have tried, really I have, but I truly dislike Froggy Beer.
*END CULTURAL SLUR*

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 02:48 PM

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 02:50 PM

LOL, San Miguel! How could I forget. Damn its been a long time since I've had some of that. When I used to live in the Philllipines that shit was like the Filipino version of Bud, EVERYONE drank that swill! So great.

re: Newcastle. For some odd reason I just can't get into it, I guess I'm just a little weird.

Now heres a funny little question for y'all:

What's the difference between a drunk an alchoholic and a lush?

Nick

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 02:56 PM

oooh, here's another for all the Guiness drinkers in the house:

Boilermaker/Irish Car Bomb, For or Against?

I'm a big fan of the car bomb, personally. Though it is quite hard to get it in bars around here cause supposedly the shot glass popped out someone's teeth once, but that's probably an urban myth. So, I settle for the boilermaker.

Nick

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
<STRONG>

I have not yet tried the new "Pub Draught" bottle, but really, it can only be better than the PD can, right? The REGULAR Guinness in a bottle- the stuff that, until the early '90s was all you could get in the states- well, THAT stuff is not even recognizable as Guinness. It has about as much carbonation as Coke, for crying out loud.</STRONG>
by PD can you mean the tall can (usually comes in a 4 pack) with that sphere thing (official name, "the smoothifier") inside? you dont like the can?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>

by PD can you mean the tall can (usually comes in a 4 pack) with that sphere thing (official name, "the smoothifier") inside? you dont like the can?</STRONG>
Oooo, nonono! LOVE the can! I love it! Real draught is better, but hell, when you can't get to the pub... From what I am to understand, those new bottles are supposed to be the same thing. Just in glass.
About those doodaads inside- ever see the warning on Boddingtons? "Warning- widget inside". REALLY. A widget. Huh.

agentz
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 06:11 PM

Never been a huge beer drinker....

Personally, tipple of choice these days would probably be vodka, of the black variety. Went through a phase where all I'd drink would be spiced rum (a la Morgans Spiced), then moved on to tequila (or sambuca, whichever was more plentiful), then finally settling on good ole vodka.

I had a bad experience with sambuca that sort of put me off....

A couple of Christmases ago at a works meal I'd had a couple of bottles of wine, then we moved on to our traditional tequila slammers. Then I had the bright idea of flaming sambucas all round. Had a couple without too much difficulty. Then it happened...

You know when your pissed time has a habit of going all stretchy, whats several minutes feels like a few seconds?

Well somoene walked past me on the way to the loos and I thought I only said hi to them, but apparantly I started gibbering away to them. The barman meantime had lit my next sambuca. I turned round to drink it and the barman told me to watch out as the glass would be hot. Did I care? Did I as hell like... I only thought the glass felt a little sticky at the time.

Had another couple of tequilas and some more wine then made my way home. Got back to the flat, said hiya to my then flatmate, went into my room, managed to hang my jacket up, went to close the window shutters, fell over, gave myself a carpet burn on my chin and woke up next morning in the exact same spot.

When I did wake up, I noticed a nice 2inch ring burned in the palm of my left hand. Went to the bathroom and found burns and blisters on my lips at either side of my mouth. God what a pillock I felt!

Never touched the stuff since
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 07:28 PM

Not the beer thread again...
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2002, 01:38 PM

Not the beer thread again...
'fraid so. looks like someone got another round in.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2002, 02:01 PM

(1) Re: Pub Bottles
I had some when they first came out and have three problems with them: (a) they taste like sh!t - was kinda chemical tasting and very strange; (b) the little cartridge on the inside is a tampoon - really pull one out; (c) I may be able to overcome "a" and "b" were it not for the fact that they are like 11.x ounces (not even a full 12).
PB v. PC?: IMO there is no comparison, can all the way.
(2) Re: Car Bombs
Learned to drink Guinness from a 1st gen. Irish/American friend (father owns a bar on LI) who has some issues with the name (kinda offensive) hence I never had one. Oh, also learned *never* to order a Black & Tan.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2002, 02:28 PM

Ok, I'll play:

My stand by is <STRONG>Sam Adams</STRONG>. If I'm feeling pretty cheap I get <STRONG>Shiner Bock</STRONG>.

Light colored beers:

I like <STRONG>Pilsner Urquel</STRONG> on tap. The bottle are hit or miss. Why they bottle such a fine beer in clear bottles is beyond me. There's a reason you need lime with corona.

Amber: Love <STRONG>Fat Tire</STRONG>. Also like <STRONG>Dos Equis</STRONG> (amber) if I'm doing the Mexican thing. I've also become a fan of <STRONG>Red Hook</STRONG> when I looking for something cheap.

Dark Beer: Very much like <STRONG>Negro Modelo</STRONG> (though it isn't a very dark beer by many standards...there's more to put it in the amber catagory than with dark beer).

Motor Oil: I've never really been able to drink Guiness. Its not that I don't like the taste, it's just too heavy. I like <STRONG>Chamey</STRONG> (sp?). Nothing can really compare to the Trappist Monks when it comes to making beer.

I'm kind of a hop head, but I like my beer balanced. It's difficult to get a dark beer balanced.

When I was in texas, I learned to drink Pearl in a can. If that ain't nasty, nothing is.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: boots ]

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:
<STRONG>Not the beer thread again...</STRONG>
in the last beer thread i discovered some new favorites!

cheers

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 08:08 PM

My favs. HoneyBrown when I have money (not very often). Usually just sitck to Coors Light. On a day when I'm really poor I'll go for Keystone Light.

Can't say I'm a fan of Fat Tire, I live 20 miles from the brewery, so it's really popular here. Some of New Belgums other beers are pretty good though.

Pilsner Urquel is great with brats and saurkraut (sp).

Had a Peter Strawberry Blonde? last night, and strawberry beer is definatly different.

Corona is the worst beer I've ever had. If you need to add a lime to make it drinkable, then it isn't worth drinking.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2002, 01:06 AM

Fat Tire Rules! I can't believe how popular it is considering its limited availability. Last time I was in Aspen I smuggled a six back in my suitcase. That lasted all of one sitting I just wish I could find it here.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by petoria:
<STRONG>My favs. HoneyBrown when I have money (not very often). </STRONG>
goddamn, honey brown when you have the money? down here its a whole buck more than the bud stuff (sometimes same price in the event of a sale)! damn I guess b'more DOES have cheap beer.

Nick

argod
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2002, 03:44 AM

Way better than Sam Adams. Sadly its not available on the left coast.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2002, 06:43 AM

man, i love this thread.

let me throw the hat for my old favs:

red stripe (coolest bottles... )

black forest (by saranack, which i can't spell)

pete's strawberry whatever... it's good.

of course we all love guiness, and i'd like to give anchor steam a nod...

now that i live in japan i drink chu-hi... it is no beer. but japanse beers, while generally crap, do mix well with sushi, which... makes a certain kind of sense, when you think about it...

ah beer.
poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
<STRONG>(1) Re: Pub Bottles
I had some when they first came out and have three problems with them: (a) they taste like sh!t - was kinda chemical tasting and very strange; (b) the little cartridge on the inside is a tampoon - really pull one out; (c) I may be able to overcome "a" and "b" were it not for the fact that they are like 11.x ounces (not even a full 12).
PB v. PC?: IMO there is no comparison, can all the way.
(2) Re: Car Bombs
Learned to drink Guinness from a 1st gen. Irish/American friend (father owns a bar on LI) who has some issues with the name (kinda offensive) hence I never had one. Oh, also learned *never* to order a Black & Tan.</STRONG>
well. my thing with the pub bottles is i cant imagine where the "pre drinking waterfall settling" is supposed to happen. it happens naturally when it comes out of the tap, and the smoothifier in the can is a proven method of creating the same effect. but in the bottle? and, tampon? ewww. ill stick with the can.

ive read on a website here that its not considered THAT bad to order a black and tan, then again, those guys are probably yanks anyway. m a d r a, get get your glowing irish head in here and settle this.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2002, 11:24 AM

Red Stripe: Full flavor and very nice.

Brooklyn Beer: Very skunky....made me want to puke.

Beer Goals 2002
I'm gonna make a effort to specifically try to get my grubby hands on Fat Tire, switch from Bud to Coors for my generic beer stash as well as the rest of the Australian beers listed.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2002, 12:35 PM

scaught:

Thanks for the link. Actually, it confirms the story I heard about the British Soldiers. However, the link omitted the part about how it came about. According my friend, the english soldiers did not like the 'heavyness' of Guinness and used to 'cut' it with something else. Hence it epitomizes the worst of the Irish/English struggles. However, I completely defer to m a d r a on this one. ( :NUDGE: wherever you are).

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2002, 01:10 PM

goddamn, honey brown when you have the money? down here its a whole buck more than the bud stuff (sometimes same price in the event of a sale)! damn I guess b'more DOES have cheap beer.

Nick
I'm a poor college student, so usually I go for quantity over quality. Honey brown isn't exactly expensive here, I just like it better than any of the more expensive brews.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2002, 01:18 PM

Harpoon IPA
Sam Adams
Smutty Nose
Buzzards Bay IPA
St. Paulie Girl
John Courage Ale

And.....theres nothing better than Bud Light when all you need is something in large quantaties to get you hammered.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 27, 2002, 01:31 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 12:48 PM. )

foamy
Senior User
Jan 27, 2002, 03:29 PM

Mac and Jack's African Amber

[email protected]
Senior User
Jan 28, 2002, 01:40 AM

Negra Modelo when i'm in mexico or having a burrito, hell yeah. if i'm on the swamp tour outside new orleans, a bud will do nicely (the only time i've found that to be true). In oregon, it's Dead Guy Ale, and at home, it's anderson valley's IPA Hop Ottin' ale.

but if it ain't brown, i generally ain't down.

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2002, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
<STRONG>
Beer Goals 2002
I'm gonna make a effort to specifically try to get my grubby hands on Fat Tire, switch from Bud to Coors for my generic beer stash as well as the rest of the Australian beers listed.</STRONG>
Fat tire used to be out of this world until they scaled up to sell outside of colorado. Not terrible now, though.

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2002, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Joshua:
<STRONG>

The Sam Adam's Winter Lager is excellent. Too bad it's seasonal.

If I had to pick a single beer to vote for, it'd probably be Guinness. Mmmm.</STRONG>
Better than Sam Adams anything else - better than Guinness -
Sam Adams Cream Stout

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by argod:
<STRONG>Way better than Sam Adams. Sadly its not available on the left coast.

</STRONG>
I am about to take exception, here... I take exception to this. The metallic taste that beats me about the head and neck with this Brooklyn business. I mean, do they brew it with copper shavings? I wanted to like it. Really. I tried. I failed. Sam. Clean. Just the right maltiness. Not heavy, but reasonably substantive. Best beer in America. The bottle says so.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2002, 10:44 AM

i'm with you max. just can't stand the brooklyn.

but i have to say, just in case i haven't made enough enemies yet, that i also don't like sams. i love the special brews, but the regular one? eh. it's... good, just not... well, personal taste. and honey brown... don't even get me started. please, can we refrain from calling that a quality beer?

eh. had to blow down a little in case we all got too carried away in this beer love fest.

pcat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>i'm with you max. just can't stand the brooklyn.

but i have to say, just in case i haven't made enough enemies yet, that i also don't like sams. i love the special brews, but the regular one? eh. it's... good, just not... well, personal taste.

pcat.</STRONG>
The regular sam adams is a bit on the bitter side (comparatively speaking). I happen to like it though. Anyone know what hops they use?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by boots:
<STRONG>

The regular sam adams is a bit on the bitter side (comparatively speaking). I happen to like it though. Anyone know what hops they use?</STRONG>
Ask, and ye shall recieve: http://www.samadams.com/beer/styles/boston_lager.html http://www.samadams.com/beer/styles/boston_ale.html

As for the bitterness... I feel like I am missing out on something. I don't know what the "condition" is called, but, due to a screw up at the genetics factory, I cannot taste bitter. I have no idea what that sensation is. I feel like I am missing out on something. I have had many folks try to explain it to me, but ultimately, it is like describing blue to someone who has never seen it.
I think I should form a support group. *snif*

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2002, 11:51 AM

<STRONG>
....I have had many folks try to explain it to me, but ultimately, it is like describing blue to someone who has never seen it.
I think I should form a support group. *snif*</STRONG>

I understand. I'm colorblind, so people are always trying to describe "pink" too me. They also like to play the "What color is" game as though they don't believe me.

Thanks for the links.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>i'm with you max. just can't stand the brooklyn.

but i have to say, just in case i haven't made enough enemies yet, that i also don't like sams. i love the special brews, but the regular one? eh. it's... good, just not... well, personal taste. and honey brown... don't even get me started. please, can we refrain from calling that a quality beer?

eh. had to blow down a little in case we all got too carried away in this beer love fest.

pcat.</STRONG>
WHA?!?! Why you little... little... blow down on the beer fest party poopcat!
Can you get Sam in Japan? I have heard that it does not travel well.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>
Smutty Nose
</STRONG>
lol! i love the caps of the bottles with the picture of the cute little baby seal that says "Make Mine a Smutty!" Hehehe...

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 11:54 AM

...due to a screw up at the genetics factory, I cannot taste bitter. I have no idea what that sensation is.
Go to Graduate School for four years +. That'll give ya a taste of bitter.

PS. Stop bustin' on my beloved Brooklyn Lager (try the Pilsner if you think the Lager is off).

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
<STRONG>

Go to Graduate School for four years +. That'll give ya a taste of bitter.

</STRONG>
OOOOP! Someone's a growlybear...

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 12:12 PM

Heh. Been harpin' about that one [GS] for years. Had a friend, tho', who was sick of my belly-aching, so he said:

"[self-help-book voice]T, you just gotta change that i in 'bitter' to an e, and get 'better.'[/self-help-book voice]"

Which got me to thinking. Being the good midwesterner that I am (e.g., "your dinner looks good, but it could be great with some cheese melted on it."), I sez to myself I sez "why not change that i to a u?"

mmmmm...butter.....

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Timo ]

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2002, 12:22 PM

HAHAhahAHhaHAhahhahhahahhaaaaaaaahahahahahHAHAHA!
*thud*
Owwww. I fell off the stool.
That's a keeper.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2002, 01:21 PM

Timo: Don't you think the Brooklyn IPA is the "closest" to Sam Adams (however, given a choice btwn the two I will always go with the IPA).

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2002, 10:58 AM

Love the IPA, but I find it has much more of a "bite" than Sam. For me, Sam Adams is more like a blend of the IPA and the Pennant Ale. Either are great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules