Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread

Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread (Page 3)
wrambro
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2009, 09:40 PM

Same problem as others as far as opening multiple files.

Also, when I play DVDs in Front Row, the video is very choppy. Same DVD plays perfectly fine in DVD Player. Hoping this should be an easy fix...

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 4, 2009, 01:27 AM

I have lost ~25% of my photos - 5360 to be exact, in the updating to SL process. I did a clean install, and migrated everything from my time machine backup. And all seemed fine, until I opened iPhoto and saw that so much was missing. I don't know if this is a issue with the updating process or time machine, but loosing so many photos makes me really sad - mostly because I trusted a piece of software, and it seem as it have failed big time.

And the really odd thing is, that it seems to be all pictures taken in landscape format that are missing. From the events where I know pictures are missing, they all are in landscape - only portrait are left.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
I did a clean install, and migrated everything from my time machine backup.
Why didn't you just install snow leopard? Why the "clean" install?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2009, 06:00 AM

Next issue for me:

Printing is borked with a Samsung CLP-315 color laser printer. The software management system it used in 10.5 no longer works, and the driver defaults to a generic CLP-310 version.

The result is that all printing, from all applications and file types comes out at 1/20 size. Not great for me trying to print invoices for clients this morning!

P.S. A 3rd party issue, but my Orange.FR and SFR.FR 3G keys are now KPing my 3 machines here and have become paper weights, and also tons of my 3rd party menu bars apps such as Menumeters is no longer working on 2 of 3 machines. Weird.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
And the really odd thing is, that it seems to be all pictures taken in landscape format that are missing. From the events where I know pictures are missing, they all are in landscape - only portrait are left.
This sounds like only modified (in this case rotated) images are left. iPhoto doesn't see the originals.

Did you at some point use a program to "slim down" the iPhoto Library?

Maybe the originals are still there, but iPhoto doesn't see them. Control-click onto the iPhoto Library in Finder and see the originals folder. Are your images still there? If so, rebuilding the Library might help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

If not, are they still there if you do the same in the Time Machine backup?

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 4, 2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Why didn't you just install snow leopard? Why the "clean" install?
That was also my plan; but this was where all my problems started... When I was updating, it stalled at 9.4%, with a estimated time of 2 hours and 32 minutes left.. 45 minutes later, it was still at 9.4% still with 2:32 remaining, so I killed it. I guess it could not recover, so it did a fresh install...

Originally Posted by TETENAL
This sounds like only modified (in this case rotated) images are left. iPhoto doesn't see the originals.

Did you at some point use a program to "slim down" the iPhoto Library?

Maybe the originals are still there, but iPhoto doesn't see them. Control-click onto the iPhoto Library in Finder and see the originals folder. Are your images still there? If so, rebuilding the Library might help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

If not, are they still there if you do the same in the Time Machine backup?
I have never tried to slim down the library or anything else - I let iPhoto handle the folder the way it wanted to do it. The "Originals" folder exists in the iPhoto Library package, but it only contains empty folders… On my time machine disk, I fund a "xxx.inProgress" file, at 93Gb I thought this was were my photos could be. I could open that package and see the iPhoto library, but also here is the "Originals" folder empty; or rather, it only contains empty folders. And they all have the same time stamp; when I did the last update just 20 minutes before updating to 10.6. And I did try to rebuild etc. the iPhoto Library.

I guess I was hit by a series of problems; first the update process failed, forcing me to get a clean install. The second problem was, that the latest time machine backup didn't go as it should, so when migrating from the disk, some of the data was missing.

I have spent the last 3-4 hours trying to recover photos from various sources - luckily I have a old iPod that contains ~90% of my photos in original size, and for the rest, I must ask my friends to borrow back the disks I have burned for them during the last couple of months.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2009, 02:25 PM

You don't have to use the xxx.inProgress backup. You can look for your iPhoto pictures in the most recent complete backup. Most likely they are all inside there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2009, 09:55 PM

Handbrake 0.9.3 is broken.

Crashes on startup, deleting prefs and reinstalling doesn't help

-t

Cold Warrior
Sep 4, 2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Handbrake 0.9.3 is broken.

Crashes on startup, deleting prefs and reinstalling doesn't help

-t
I ran a quick check and it worked for me. Startup & conversion went fine.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I ran a quick check and it worked for me. Startup & conversion went fine.
Yeah, it worked for me for a couple of days. Then it stopped, and I couldn't get it resurrected. According to the Handbrake forums, it works for some, and not for others.

My gut feeling is that it conflicts with sth. else that makes it crash. But I don't understand the log to know what's going on.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 01:43 AM

It's some issue with the GUI. The CLI works.

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2009, 04:31 AM

Compile a current build. It's fun and easy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 06:19 AM

Mail.app insists on playing its sounds through the "main" audio interface, rather than the one I set to play system sounds.

Slightly "huh?", though not a big problem.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 06:21 AM

Duplex option is AWOL for my Canon pixma ip3000.

Printer works fine otherwise.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 03:22 AM

Flip4Mac goes into an infinite loop where it converts a wmv file, apparently finishes, then starts the cycle all over again, in an infinite loop. Then the fan goes crazy. Very, very annoying.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 03:25 AM

Is this the SL-compatible beta you're talking about or an incompatible previous release?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 03:33 AM

I didn't know there was a new version of flip4mac for SL. Where can I find it? I've got whatever version I was running under leopard right now.

edit: it's version 2.2.3.7

Also, can I install QT7 along with X? Or only one of them at once?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Also, can I install QT7 along with X? Or only one of them at once?
You can install and run both side by side. SL will even install QT7 for you if you try to play content that QTX can't play (QTVR for example).

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 03:46 AM

The icon for applications in my dock displays the last program installed, which is very annoying. Now, it's displaying the icons of the last two applications installed on top of one another.

Another glitch: the apple logo top left was 'blacked out' with the new 'outer space' wallpaper. When I switched to a new wallpaper the problem disappeared.

These are relatively minor issues, but still a pain.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2009, 03:50 AM

The icon for applications in my dock displays the last program installed, which is very annoying. Now, it's displaying the icons of the last two applications installed on top of one another.
Right click > Display as folder

(or is that gone in SL?)

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 04:01 AM

I see. When I installed SL, I didn't check off QT7, thinking that checking this box in the list of options would lead the installer to install 7 only, and not X. Nice to know you can have your cake and eat it too.

Do I simply go back to the install disc and re-check the QT7 option?

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You can install and run both side by side. SL will even install QT7 for you if you try to play content that QTX can't play (QTVR for example).

faceblip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2009, 04:07 AM

Do I simply go back to the install disc and re-check the QT7 option?
QuickTime Player 7 is a separate optional install for a reason. I doubt you even have to boot from the CD.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 04:20 AM

Also, the annoying white bars or lines on the borders of DVD films is back. Actually, they never left. They come and go: come with "good quality" deinterlacing then disappear with "optimal quality" deinterlacing.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 04:31 AM

Also, the battery meter no longer reads 100% despite being plugged into the outlet 24/7. Instead, it reads 97 or 98%. Who knows why.

moep
Senior User
Sep 6, 2009, 04:54 AM

Also, the battery meter no longer reads 100% despite being plugged into the outlet 24/7. Instead, it reads 97 or 98%. Who knows why.
You can probably fix this by calibrating your battery.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

OreoCookie
Sep 6, 2009, 04:57 AM

Yes, and it has nothing to do with the upgrade.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 05:34 AM

I didn't know there was a new version of flip4mac for SL. Where can I find it? I've got whatever version I was running under leopard right now.

edit: it's version 2.2.3.7
Telestream Flip4Mac WMV - Overview

at left.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2009, 05:45 AM

My Spotlight show some apps in Japanese!! Any ideas how to fix?
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Toyin
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2009, 07:44 AM

Right click and select "Sort by" Name
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
Right click and select "Sort by" Name
I don't see how that's supposed to help. Instead of the last installed app he'll then see the first (by name) app. If he wants the folder to appear as a folder he needs to make sure it's not displayed as a stack.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by faceblip View Post
QuickTime Player 7 is a separate optional install for a reason. I doubt you even have to boot from the CD.
you won't have to boot from the cd; it's in a folder (or installer) visible when you mount the dvd;
"extras" (or something like that). i installed QT7 last week (it gets put in "utilities" by default).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Toyin
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I don't see how that's supposed to help. Instead of the last installed app he'll then see the first (by name) app. If he wants the folder to appear as a folder he needs to make sure it's not displayed as a stack.
Sorry, I should have elaborated. Unless you're frequently adding applications that start with "A" the image should stay stable. Using the folder image is great if:

A) You like the look of the dull blue folders or
B) You only have one maybe two folders in the dock.

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that (s)he uses the dock with more then one folder. The best way (IMHO) to have distinctive icons for folders in the dock is to order them by name. Then all you have to do is place an icon in that folder that will always be at the top of the list (by putting a character or space before it's name) There are several really cool icons that are partially transparent so you can see parts of your folder contents behind them.

Back on topic. My Safari is back to being blazing. Not sure what did it, but the few things that I did included. 1) Resetting Safari 2) Trashing Safari preferences and caches. 3) Opening Safari in 32 bit, using it for a while, then re-opening it in 64bit.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
Sorry, I should have elaborated. Unless you're frequently adding applications that start with "A" the image should stay stable. Using the folder image is great if:

A) You like the look of the dull blue folders
You can add custom icons to a folder, you know.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the tips.

1. installing the flip4mac beta for SL not only allows me to open wmv files, it allows me to open them about 50x faster. Amazing.

edit: I see what the trick is. Flip4mac now opens up the video immediately. However, you can't watch the full video immediately. It opens right away, but it continues to convert the file after you've opened it. In the old version, you couldn't open the video at all, until flip4mac had converted the video file completely.

2. switching to 'folder' rather than stack does get rid of the weird images.

3. I'm recalibrating my battery right now.

That just leaves the strange white border lines in DVD player and the odd 'blacking out' of the apple in the upper left of the menu bar which has not appeared again since?

We are moving along nicely.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 02:56 PM

edit: I see what the trick is. Flip4mac now opens up the video immediately. However, you can't watch the full video immediately. It opens right away, but it continues to convert the file after you've opened it. In the old version, you couldn't open the video at all, until flip4mac had converted the video file completely. .
this is a difference in how QuickTime X handles files.

QT 7 opened everything as a movie object and had to parse the entire file.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You can add custom icons to a folder, you know.
lol. You would think using OSX since the public beta and even creating my own OSX theme I would suggest one of the simplest solutions. I happen to like the eye candy associated with using partially transparent folders, but you're right, easiest to just change the folder icon
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2009, 05:53 AM

Full Tilt Poker not working.
Appears to launch, but infinitely bounces in the dock.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
this is a difference in how QuickTime X handles files.

QT 7 opened everything as a movie object and had to parse the entire file.
No, it's not a difference in how QuickTime X handles files. QuickTime X doesn't support plug-ins therefore WMV-files are opened with QuickTime 7. And QuickTime 7 already supported scanning movies in the background while they were already open. Perian has always done this with Flash video files for example. The Flip4Mac guys just didn't implement this until now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2009, 12:06 PM

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2009, 12:21 PM

AFAIK Flip4mac always had the option "Play movies automatically" under the Player options. It's just on by default now.

I turn it off because I'd rather it parse the file for a few seconds then have it take forever decoding while it's playing so that I can't skip through the movie.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, it's not a difference in how QuickTime X handles files. QuickTime X doesn't support plug-ins therefore WMV-files are opened with QuickTime 7. And QuickTime 7 already supported scanning movies in the background while they were already open. Perian has always done this with Flash video files for example. The Flip4Mac guys just didn't implement this until now.
I don't have Quicktime 7 installed, both perian and flip4mac open Quicktime X.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2009, 01:10 PM

The QuickTime frameworks in SL contain both the new QT X frameworks and the old QT 7 frameworks on every install. The optional QT 7 install is just for the QT 7 player.

So, anything that is using a plugin is falling back to the old QT 7 frameworks since QT X doesn't have plugin support yet. John Siracusa's SL review covers this in depth.
Vandelay Industries

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2009, 03:05 PM

If you want the old behavior of Flip4mac files being completely playable and scrubbable once opened go to the Flip4mac preference pane and under the Player tab click Advanced. Add both QuickTime players to the list and click OK. From then on you'll see the old but quick importing window instead of the video immediately opening and taking forever to load.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2009, 08:48 PM

^^That little trick worked! Thanks.

Now, onto next issue. I tried opening a .docx word document. Word immediately began downloading a new open xml converter. After doing so, the document would not open. The error message said there was not enough memory.

After that, the fan began spinning up and looking at activitymonitor, openxml converter is taking up 98% of the CPU cycles.

I try force quitting both word and openxml converter. The fan is still running at high speed and activity monitor shows openxml still taking up all the cpu cycles.

I put the computer to sleep, but the fan resumes spinning after the computer wakes. I have to restart the computer.

What happened? How can I avoid this in the future?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2009, 09:04 PM

... use iWork?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2009, 01:33 AM

I was able to use openoffice to take a look at the docx in question. Docx is absolutely and completely pointless. Just another gambit to make older versions of office obsolete so you cough up another buck or two for their bloatware.

Otherwise, SL glides along, with slight bumps here and there...

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2009, 03:03 AM

When I do a spotlight search, I get two open xml's. An open xml converter in applications and a word open xml in shared applications in microsoft office 04. The icon for the latter is of the old style plug in.

Should I delete this older word open xml application?

I get an error message in the open xml converter saying that there are two plugins and that open xml converter doesn't know which one to choose.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
AFAIK Flip4mac always had the option "Play movies automatically" under the Player options. It's just on by default now.
It's true that Flip4Mac has always had that setting. However, there were several configurations under which it simply failed to work.

In my own personal experience it happened under Leopard after updating to Safari4. Whereas Flip4Mac used to respect my setting to not play automatically, once I had updated to Safari4 it failed to do so and played every darn WMV file upon opening it in a browser window. I check both QT and Flip4Mac settings several times, I made sure to unset and set my preference, but all to no avail. Flip4Mac would simply refuse not to play stuff automatically.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 10:48 AM

So far my only post-installation issue has been trying to explain to my partner what's new with SL. I finally got my copy mailed to me here in the DR yesterday and quickly proceeded to upgrade his 2 month old Mac mini. (Strangely enough, the upgrade took over 3 hours!!) Once his machine rebooted he sat down and was immediately unimpressed... LOL

I tried explaining all the wonderful goodies under-the-hood but his eyes quickly glazed over. It's true that from an interface perspective, there's little difference at all. He has commented that Mail seems a little Snappier™.

Oh... almost forgot.. I did have to unplug and plug back in his second monitor for it to be recognized (it's analog so that's probably why).

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2009, 11:06 AM

I did a format and install of SL and all works great except there's a pretty long (3-5 second) delay before opening file open/save dialogs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules