Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Hate Adhesive Screen Protectors!

Hate Adhesive Screen Protectors!
selowitch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2010, 11:00 PM

Screen protectors that use adhesive to cover the iPad's screen drive me crazy. They are hard to align and to apply and bubbles are a problem. Are there any that are non-adhesive that still allow you to use the touchscreen?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2010, 02:00 AM

Why do you need one in the first place? The glass screen is actually the one location I'd expect not to get any real scratches at all.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Why do you need one in the first place? The glass screen is actually the one location I'd expect not to get any real scratches at all.
Well, it just seems like a matter of time until it acquires a significant scratch.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2010, 02:23 AM

Sure about that? The glass on my iPhone 3G is the one area on that iPhone there's not a scuff. Glass is quite a hard material.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2010, 02:42 AM

Sure about that? The glass on my iPhone 3G is the one area on that iPhone there's not a scuff. Glass is quite a hard material.
Well, I do have a three-year-old who uses the iPad a lot. No, I'm not sure. But why not give it a bit more protection, especially if I don't mind the effect it has on usability?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2010, 02:48 AM

Well because, as you already experienced, they're a PITA.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 9, 2010, 05:58 PM

I love them! It was the first thing I bought for my original iPhone and I've purchased a new one for each subsequent generation. Haven't gotten around to it yet for my iPad, but I keep meaning to order one. I like the anti-glare screen from Power Support.

-Q-
May 9, 2010, 07:22 PM

I can see them being more useful for reducing glare than protecting the screen, but not worth the trouble getting them on smoothly. Best success I had required me to wear gloves and use a ruler to smooth the screen protector down as I applied it. I gave up using them after that.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2010, 12:46 AM

My friend picked up a used iPhone 3G recently and yes, the screen can get scratched.
I have Invisible Shield on my iPhone. It does not use adhesive, you spray a light soapy water solution onto the screen, lay it down into position and then squeegee the bubble and water out and it stays in place. There is one for front, and one for back. In some large malls, they have a booth where you have them apply it on your iPhone while you wait. The plastic they use is one that is used to protect helicopter rotors, so its pretty tough. In the year and a half that I have had it on, it has never started to peel. If you want to take it off, it comes right off, but you cannot use it again once you do that.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 26, 2010, 06:15 AM

<snip>
( Last edited by Andy8; May 26, 2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: thanks Glenn)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2010, 06:45 AM

The glass on my iPhone 3G is the one area on that iPhone there's not a scuff. Glass is quite a hard material.
Indeed.

After carrying my iPhone 3G for almost 2 years in my pocket w/o any case or protection, I managed to get only one scratch, about 1/8" long. That's it.

-t

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 26, 2010, 09:55 AM

The glass screens on iProducts definitely scratch. I babied a naked iPhone 3G, never dropped it, had its own pocket without anything else inside--and it got a big scratch on the screen. The only thing I can think of is that is brushed up against a metal rivet in my jeans. iPads haven't been out for very long, so most people haven't scratched them yet--they will and they will cry.

To answer your question, you should check out the screen protectors from Powersupport. They do not use adhesive nor do you have apply any type of liquid to the screen. If you remove it there is not residue. The protectors don't degrade the touch sensitivity and you honestly can't tell they are on--they feel just like the glass surface. It's a bit of a challenge to get one on without getting dust caught between the protector and the real screen though. Worth the effort.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
The glass screens on iProducts definitely scratch. I babied a naked iPhone 3G, never dropped it, had its own pocket without anything else inside--and it got a big scratch on the screen. The only thing I can think of is that is brushed up against a metal rivet in my jeans..
Uhm, AFAIK, metal doesn't scratch glass.

-t

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 26, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Well, something in my normal day to day routine scratched the screen. Again, this phone was handled carefully and not dropped nor knowingly brought up against items that could scratch it. The screen is not indestructible as many seem to believe--and I don't keep diamonds in my pockets either. (That's the most funny claim I've heard made by the way--that aside from completely shattering the glass that only diamonds could scratch it.)

Do you believe that all those who report scratches on their iPhones, iPods and now iPads are imagining things or grossly abusing them?

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Good grief, of course metal will scratch glass. I'm a mechanical engineer, but it doesn't take an engineer to know that!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
Good grief, of course metal will scratch glass. I'm a mechanical engineer, but it doesn't take an engineer to know that!
Well, the only metal in my pockets is coins and keys.

I've had my iPhone G for 2 years w/o protection in my pockets, no scratches expect two tiny 1/8".

So I dunno what else these people subject their phones to.
I don't really care either.

-t

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
Ouch. You were fairly hard on them.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules