Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Rides of MacNN

The Rides of MacNN
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2011, 02:43 PM

The ongoing insurance thread had me thinking there should be a thread for people to show off their normal cars. One may already exist, but if it does it's quite old and the vB search engine sucks.

This is Oliver². He's a 1998 Ford Taurus SE. Cost me $1800 back in April with 163k on the odometer. In great shape for his age. And upon running the VIN report after buying it, I found that this little guy has lead quite a life; I'm the 7th owner, he's been repossessed, been to auction twice, been in an accident, and started out life as a fleet vehicle in Alaska!

His heart is a DOHC Duratec 30 engine, putting out 200hp (at some point in time) and plenty of torque. The Duratec 30 is actually something that Ford bought unfinished from Porsche and completed with the help of Cosworth, so Oliver makes some surprisingly Porsche-esque music above 4,000 RPM.

The lineage of his name is also a great one; carrying the memory of Oliver The First, my $800 '90 Toyota Camry that I owned for 7 months in Australia and used for my 1 month journey from Sydney to Perth. Inspiration for the name was Hammond of Top Gear's eminently reliable Opel Kadett seen in the Botswana Special.

And oddly enough, the Gen3 Taurus was never a car I had a particular like for cosmetically. But then, given my prior auto-industry readings, Tooki suggested I grab a copy of Car, and the rest is history...

( Last edited by Lateralus; Sep 29, 2011 at 03:00 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 02:47 PM

I assumed you meant like the spinny vomit teacup ride.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I assumed you meant like the spinny vomit teacup ride.
Yeah, i was thinking he meant amusement park too. Like having rides after members personality traits or something (i.e., "Dakar's Tunnel of insincere self-loathing").

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 03:04 PM

Wow, awesome - a serious contendor for The Most Hideously Ugly Ford In Recent Memory competition. Fierce stuff.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 03:05 PM

I claim the emo putt-putt train.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 03:07 PM

I never understood how that car's tail got approved. That is by far the worst back end on a production car I can ever recall.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I never understood how that car's tail got approved. That is by far the worst back end on a production car I can ever recall.
The rear windshield is the most awkward piece of the whole puzzle. The Sable got a squared-off one and it took most of the attention away from the widely panned sloping-trunk.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 03:10 PM

I've always thought the Taurus was when computer aided aerodynamic simulations started to overtake good sense.

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2011, 03:11 PM

Took these last year. Bumper and rust and horn have since been fixed, so this 1996 Subaru is still running with just 150k miles on it. I have learned to enjoy the sway of the shocks that need replacing.

Do I win for crappiest car? It's paid for!
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:45 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 03:15 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I've always thought the Taurus was when computer aided aerodynamic simulations started to overtake good sense.
Except no other car looked as ridiculous at the time.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
http://homepage.mac.com/aparentdesign/Pictures/subaruRot.jpg
I've one of those as well, but it's much smaller - plus being in Arizona has it stagnant. So I think I'll ignore it for a while longer.

I actually have a box of sanding pads, touch up paint/clear coat, puddy knives and body filler. But it's too damn hot for me to want o spend an entire day dealing with it right now.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 6, 2011, 03:27 PM

Current Daily Driver

2009 Subaru WRX

Actual pics (only ones on the computer at the moment)

Looking to move into a new car after Christmas time, still undecided.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2011, 03:34 PM

I'm excited to get home from work so I can post pics of my 1992 Camry. I just bought a slightly newer Honda so the Camry is actually for sale now.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource//images/details_234x234/TTC4b.jpg

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2011, 03:39 PM

Very similar to Lateralus:

2001 Mercury Sable.
Two previous owners were both well over the age of 50 and never drove it (currently has 45,000 miles after I did 13,000 in the past two years). Tows 1700lbs with a Class II hitch, can hold 10 ft. lengths of conduit completely within the cabin. Comfy for several people on long trips. Handles terribly. Acceleration is marginal. The Duratec 30 has never been and never will be fuel efficient. But I paid cash for it and it's 100% invisible to police cars.

Oh, and to make the time spent in it tolerable:

With some Infinity 6x8s it's not too bad, far better than the POS stuff that Ford thought was acceptable, and it's all wired through the stock stereo so everything appears factory.

1985 Honda V65 Sabre VF1100S. 1100cc, 120hp, 150ish mph, 11ish quarter mile, what-is-that-guy-compensating-for-he-must-have-tiny-genitals. Totally new suspension, engine is stock minus some slip-ons that probably cost a couple hp.

1983 Honda Nighthawk CB550SC. 550cc, 45ish mpg, 115ish mph, 12ish quarter mile, super fun around town. Short wheelbase makes for easy wheelies.

1984 Honda Ascot VT500FT. 500cc, 50ish mpg, 100ish mph, 13ish quarter mile. Wife's bike, super lightweight, not much oomph.

1984 and 1985 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC. The next big project. Fuel injection and boost. Totally illogical but completely awesome.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Current Daily Driver

2009 Subaru WRX
Any specific reason you're getting rid of it? I have a friend with the exact same car (in blue) and he's enjoying it so far. Winter tires make it a blast in the snow.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The Duratec 30 has never been and never will be fuel efficient.
You reckon? I get 28 hwy consistently and around 17 in the city. Last tank was 22.5 combined, 2/3 city. And that's pretty normal going by reports from people on the Taurus Club site.

I don't know that any non-hybrid V6 gets much better, even today. At least not in a similarly sized car.

Of course, I'm also running new plugs, wires, oil/air/fuel filters and ran a can of Seafoam through the tank a month or so ago.

But I paid cash for it and it's 100% invisible to police cars.
Ditto. Insurance had might as well be free for these things as well.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 03:48 PM

2000 GMC Sonoma SLS 4x4
4.3L V6
1300lbs max payload

I bought this puppy back in 05 with ~60k miles, paid 9500 bucks for it. I had my heart set on a Toyota Tacoma, for obvious reasons, but those damn trucks are so overpriced in the used vehicle market I gave up trying to find one for around 10 grand with less than 100k miles on it. For this model year my Sonoma had the highest payload available on any small truck, and to be honest that has come into play quite a bit, making a Tacoma's much smaller weight carrying a liability. Of course the gas mileage isn't great, I've averaged about 20MPG for the last 5 years, but that's to be expected due to the rather grunty large V6 under the hood.

Minor work was covered under warranty (aftermarket) and the most expensive thing so far has been an entire re-do of the brakes (rotors, pads, calipers, etc) for about 1400 dollars. The racks are built by yours truly, and are 1/8" tubular aluminum poles with galvanized connectors. The rear rack is set lower then the front so I can carry long stock without it bending and slapping my roof.

The 4x4 system has been a godsend in the winter, as little RWD trucks like this are easily the most dangerous vehicles to drive in adverse conditions.

I'm just creating 120k miles now, and the truck is in pretty damn good shape. The only thing starting to become a problem is the level of rot in the chassis at the rear end, I can see it failing inspection in another several years, at which time I hope to be able to buy a brand-new F150.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 6, 2011, 03:54 PM

Any specific reason you're getting rid of it? I have a friend with the exact same car (in blue) and he's enjoying it so far. Winter tires make it a blast in the snow.
I like the car, and for the two years I've had it its been a great driving car and winter driving is fantastic with a set of snow tires. It is a blast to drive and even though the interior is so-so it's been one of the best car's I've owned but its a little harsh. I can't really describe it any other way, I want to get into something slightly more refined (but still fun). I get pretty "bored" with a car after 2 years and need something different, not necessary better, just different. But this time with the Subaru has spoiled me, for the rest of my car buying career I think I will only buy a car with AWD.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 03:56 PM

Oh, and to make the time spent in it tolerable:

You bought camouflage for the dead hookers?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 04:00 PM

My pickup. I've since bought a matching camper shell for it. 133k miles and I only paid $2600:
( Last edited by olePigeon; Sep 6, 2011 at 04:11 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
You reckon? I get 28 hwy consistently and around 17 in the city. Last tank was 22.5 combined, 2/3 city. And that's pretty normal going by reports from people on the Taurus Club site.

I don't know that any non-hybrid V6 gets much better, even today. At least not in a similarly sized car.
The difference is that today's V6 sedans see 250+ hp, while the 4 cylinder versions that get low to mid-30s mpg offer similar performance to your Taurus. You'll see a 0-60 of about 8.7 seconds and a quarter mile in around 16.5 in your Taurus. The 2009 4-cyl Accord does 8.6/16.6. The 2010 Altima 2.5s does 7.3/15.5, and is rated at 32 mpg highway. I got an easy 33mpg mixed and I saw 39mpg over a couple tanks with tame highway usage.

My Sable has never seen better than 26mpg, even when it was owned by a grandpa that didn't know what the accelerator pedal did and purposely drove 5mph under the limit for better mileage.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You bought camouflage for the dead hookers?
It's not a Camaro...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 04:14 PM

Oliver! Gotta love that TG episode.

1974 E-Type

2008 Gallardo Spyder
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2011, 04:24 PM

2010 Infiniti G35X Coupe

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 04:26 PM

Most of you must have HUGE genitals.

I'm rolling in a 99 Mazda Protege. I've never cared much for cars. To me they are transportation. Whenever I drive my father's fancy-pants cars I just feel nervous.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 04:31 PM

I suddenly want someone to post an Aztek or some equally deplorable vehicle.

Thorzdad
Sep 6, 2011, 04:50 PM

My daily driver.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2011, 04:51 PM

I suddenly want someone to post an Aztek or some equally deplorable vehicle.
I have a friend from high school who now lives in the same apartment complex as me who has one and I don't have the heart to tell him his car is fugly and even my 1992 Camry is embarrassed to be in the same parking lot as it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 04:55 PM

Also accepting Pontiac Vibe, Plymouth PT Cruiser, Chrysler SSR, or Chevy HHR
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Sep 6, 2011 at 05:03 PM. )

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2011, 04:58 PM

The difference is that today's V6 sedans see 250+ hp, while the 4 cylinder versions that get low to mid-30s mpg offer similar performance to your Taurus. You'll see a 0-60 of about 8.7 seconds and a quarter mile in around 16.5 in your Taurus. The 2009 4-cyl Accord does 8.6/16.6. The 2010 Altima 2.5s does 7.3/15.5, and is rated at 32 mpg highway. I got an easy 33mpg mixed and I saw 39mpg over a couple tanks with tame highway usage.

My Sable has never seen better than 26mpg, even when it was owned by a grandpa that didn't know what the accelerator pedal did and purposely drove 5mph under the limit for better mileage.
All true, but a mid-90s 3 liter V6 pushing 201hp and 207lb-ft @ 27~mpg hwy when well maintained is better combination than many other engines of the era.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post

2010 Infiniti G35X Coupe
I always liked those, it's a 370Zed or grown-ups.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 05:10 PM

Chrysler SSR

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
All true, but a mid-90s 3 liter V6 pushing 201hp and 207lb-ft @ 27~mpg hwy when well maintained is better combination than many other engines of the era.
Yes, all of that power pumped through a terrible, antiquated 4 speed auto that's averse to any type of efficient power transmission or intelligent shifting.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2011, 05:14 PM

Agreed.

Just be happy we got the AX4N and not the AX4S, otherwise our cars would have been junked long before we bought them for so cheap.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 05:21 PM

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 06:36 PM

^ mind trip

-Q-
Sep 6, 2011, 06:43 PM

Current Q-mobile:

'03 G35. Found it at Carmax with only 30K miles last year. Near as I can tell, it was a military car driven when the previous owner was on leave from the Navy (all cities it was registered in had large naval bases) as it was pristine.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Except no other car looked as ridiculous at the time.
Oh, I don't know:

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm so going to pwn that after the bomb.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 07:17 PM

1987 Honda Prelude SI 2.0 Manual and 2012 Ford Focus SE Auto

Between my roommate and I, we have

Prelude, Focus, Sonoma, Cherokee, F250 and a S10 Blazer ....

The Blazer and Cherokee are pigs on gas. The F250 is propane converted and gets pretty good millage.

River Dance - YouTube

The F250 is being decked out for major off-roading right now. All summer we have been rebuilding it with a new suspension setup and a new cab. The Sonoma is setup for racing right now with a corvette engine in it.

Before the Jeep was raised, both it and the Lude on a forest Service road 35km in the back country.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 07:27 PM

Wow, Ford can really make some ugly hubcaps.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 07:44 PM

The ex clearly can't park for shit either.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2011, 09:07 PM

Best photo I can find on hand, not recent.

'04 special edition. Bought it in '06, paid it off years ago. Snow tires are a requirement.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 09:33 PM

Wow, Ford can really make some ugly hubcaps.
Has there ever been a hubcap that looks nice?

The Accord:

Don't have a good pic of the W124, every time I go somewhere pretty, it's generally down a dirt road, and I'm not taking it down there! The day I picked it up, but it had sitting outside for a few weeks and hadn't been washed yet:

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2011, 10:40 PM

Daily Driver: 2002 Honda Civic in black (not my picture)

Weekend Warrior
1994 Toyota Pickup, 4" lift 35" tires, Dual Transfer cases 3.7/4.7 ratios, Toyota Electric Differential lockers front and rear, winch...

Other play thing:
2000 Suzuki DRZ400E
Converted to street legal, full exhaust, suspension work

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2011, 11:38 PM

All I have is this old bike.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Best photo I can find on hand, not recent.

'04 special edition. Bought it in '06, paid it off years ago. Snow tires are a requirement.
My dad has the removable hard top version, same year, same color. It's a fun ride.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2011, 12:23 AM

2008 Volvo XC90
2007 Volvo S80

I’m contemplating new Volvo C70 or a late model 911 Carrera S.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2011, 12:39 AM

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportsback
(not my pics)

I love it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2011, 02:34 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules