Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Market Woes: What are you doing?

View Poll Results: What are you doing in the markets?
Poll Options:
Buying 12 votes (42.86%)
Selling 4 votes (14.29%)
Holding (waiting it out) 16 votes (57.14%)
Other 4 votes (14.29%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Market Woes: What are you doing?
Cold Warrior
Aug 16, 2007, 05:02 PM

With the global markets on a roller coaster, have you settled on a strategy to ride the currents? Selling at certain percentage drops, buying at them, holding -- or a mix?

Personally, when the S&P drops a lot, I'm putting in US$150-300 every few days that it slides. I have a mutual fund that tracks the S&P, so I'm trying to increase my holdings while decreasing my average basis. Obviously I'm taking the risk that the drops of late are short-term (3-12 month bear trend).

I've also opened a stock account to purchase TBD stocks.

I assess my overall investment risk as low, because my strategy is long-term investing (buying and holding for 30+ years).

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 05:07 PM

Sold some stocks at their peak times (e.g. AAPL at 147). For the rest - holding at the moment and buying tumbling stocks with low price/earnings ratio.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Aug 16, 2007, 05:17 PM

Good sell on the Apple. I've been holding since $20 years ago. I had intended to sell around its high in order to diversify more, but never got around to it. Now I'll keep holding until it gets to a satisfactory point.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 05:21 PM

Decided to hold onto what I currently have invested even through this down here.
Will probably buy at the end of the month when things are hitting their lows, and then hold for one to two year.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 05:22 PM

It is funny how this market is going. Thousands of years ago in the 1980s a daily swing of 2 or 3 percent was common. We have been accustomed to slow, steady increases for years and now a 300 point swing has everyone terrified even though as percentage it is quite small.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2007, 05:31 PM

I wait until things are at their worst and everyone is talking about how low the market is, and then I sell. Then I wait until things are going gangbusters and everyone is talking about how high stocks are, and that's when I buy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2007, 05:33 PM

Shifted my 401(k) holdings to bonds until it gets better. Right now, I'm still positive for the year.

This whole subprime thing will get much worse than it is now. I predict it's going to continue through at least mid of 2008 until it gets better. Be prepared for a major bear market in the next months.

-t

Cold Warrior  (op)
Aug 16, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I wait until things are at their worst and everyone is talking about how low the market is, and then I sell. Then I wait until things are going gangbusters and everyone is talking about how high stocks are, and that's when I buy.
Why?

Cold Warrior  (op)
Aug 16, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This whole subprime thing will get much worse than it is now. I predict it's going to continue through at least mid of 2008 until it gets better. Be prepared for a major bear market in the next months.

-t
I agree. It'll continue to get worse. Hell, one analyst was predicting a Countrywide bankruptcy if they didn't find some big cash/loan infusions. That'd be a big deal if it happens.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Why?
Isn't that the right way to do it?

Seriously, the way I time the market is by investing the exact same amount every month, on autopilot. When the market is low, that means I buy more shares, exactly when I should be, and when things are high, that means I'm buying less, exactly when I should be. When I get close to needing a lot of money (e.g., when I bought a house several years ago), I move it to a more conservative vehicle. Other people can experiment with the fancy stuff.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Aug 16, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Isn't that the right way to do it?

Seriously, the way I time the market is by investing the exact same amount every month, on autopilot. When the market is low, that means I buy more shares, exactly when I should be, and when things are high, that means I'm buying less, exactly when I should be. When I get close to needing a lot of money (e.g., when I bought a house several years ago), I move it to a more conservative vehicle. Other people can experiment with the fancy stuff.
He's saying he sells when it's low and buys high. That part threw me (unless I'm missing something). I also normally work my investing on autopilot -- dollar cost averaging.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2007, 06:13 PM

Holding and buying. I live off of dividends.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
He's saying he sells when it's low and buys high. That part threw me (unless I'm missing something). I also normally work my investing on autopilot -- dollar cost averaging.
That was me, and I wasn't being serious. I was (apparently unsuccessfully) mocking the typical amateur investor who jumps on bandwagons at the last moment, trying to time the market, but in doing so ends up with exactly the wrong strategy.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 06:59 PM

BRussell is exactly right, and he was being sarcastic. Now that the market starts working its way down, everyone talks about selling and getting out. That is exactly how to get murdered in the markets! You have to buy when everyone is sucking their thumb in terror, then sell as the market goes up. Everyone will think you're nuts, but that is how to make money. But it is totally counter-intuitive and no, I haven't perfected it either.
The perfect example is ten years ago when Wired magazine had the Pray cover for Apple. Apple was dead, everyone knew it: $3.32 a share. Last month, at $145 a share, AAPL could do no wrong, everyone wanted to buy...
( Last edited by Sherman Homan; Sep 20, 2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: kant tipe good)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 12:59 AM

Should I be concerned with a 401K mutual fund. I pay no attention

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Should I be concerned with a 401K mutual fund. I pay no attention
If you are not worried now, and you don't plan to retire in the next years, probably not.

I for myself decided to shift all my 401(k) holdings to bonds, beceause I expect more losses.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2007, 10:03 AM

Right now I'm just saving cash, and am considering precious metals and foreign currency.
I've done well with AAPL over 20+ years, and decided to abandon stocks & bonds for now.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Holding and buying. I live off of dividends.
Wise.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2007, 02:44 AM

I averaged down the long positions with the greatest potential. Other than that, I've been doing what I always do: day and swing trading long and short. I am staying away from options until I see how the new trading rules are establishing patterns to get an edge.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 06:56 AM

At the moment I'm checking out a bunch of smaller companies with tumbling shares. New in my portfolio
- Coleman Cable, Inc.; Symbol CCIX - 1000 shares
- Balda AG (iPhone screen supplier); German WKN: 521510 - 2000 shares

On the watch list:
- Telik, Inc.; Symbol TELK - already in play?
- Transmeta; Symbol TMTA - no trades atm, maybe delisted?

Regards,
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Sealobo
Aug 21, 2007, 07:23 AM

My stock portfolio consists of 75% chinese equities listed in Hong Kong. It's relatively risky, but highly rewarding so long i could stand the short-term fluctuation.

I am holding 10 stocks right now. Diversification is gold.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
My stock portfolio consists of 75% chinese equities listed in Hong Kong. It's relatively risky, but highly rewarding so long i could stand the short-term fluctuation.
Interesting. You have some names / stock examples? I'd like to get into the Asian market more, but I couldn't find the time so far to get informed thoroughly. Rising Chinese companies + HK exchange are a mighty argument.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2007, 08:58 AM

I sold most of my stocks in July.

Sealobo
Aug 22, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Interesting. You have some names / stock examples? I'd like to get into the Asian market more, but I couldn't find the time so far to get informed thoroughly. Rising Chinese companies + HK exchange are a mighty argument.

Regards
PB.
In no particular order...

Bank of Communications
China Life
PetroChina
Air China
China Mobile

Let me know if you're interested in engaging into a private investment contract...

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 12:55 AM

I picked up China Life from their IPO, fantastic gains.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 AM

Okay got a new one:

Beazer Homes (NYSE: BZH) - 1500 shares [bought this morning at 10.82 $]]

I was watching them tumble for the past six months, now i figure the house/mortgage crisis is reaching its end. At least the part regarding stock exchange "surprises"...

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 10:49 AM

In no particular order...

Bank of Communications
China Life
PetroChina
Air China
China Mobile

Let me know if you're interested in engaging into a private investment contract...
I'm interested in every win-win situation...
Thanks for the stocks, they're no bargains anymore, but I have them on my watchlist.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 11:06 AM

The only stocks that I own are in retirement accounts, and I'm only 25, so I'm just continuing to buy and hoping the markets keep on falling!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 07:12 AM

Another one in the shaken house financing market:

Northern Rock PLC (London: NRK.ISS; NASDAQ: NHRKF.NOO) - 1000 shares at 3,80 € yesterday.
Any Britons here also in the play?

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Sealobo
Sep 20, 2007, 10:18 AM

I'm interested in every win-win situation...
Thanks for the stocks, they're no bargains anymore, but I have them on my watchlist.

PB.
Just to show you the % differences since i showed the list...

STOCK closing price as of (22AUG) (20SEP) %Change

Bank of Communications (8.48) (9.00) +6.13%
China Life (32.4) (39.2) +20.99%
PetroChina (10.76) (12.38) +15.06%
Air China (6.64) (11.66) +75.60%
China Mobile (91.85) (112.7) +22.70%

The benchmark of the Hong Kong Stock market is the Hang Seng Index; in the relevant period it climbed from 22,347 points to 25,701 points (a 15.01% gain). My portfolio has outperformed the benchmark by substantial margin.

However, i have liquidated my entire portfolio just today because i think the market is generally overbought. I have moved all the capital into ONE single stock and it will do magic in precisely 5-8 months time. But i can't tell you what it is.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:08 PM

The benchmark of the Hong Kong Stock market is the Hang Seng Index; in the relevant period it climbed from 22,347 points to 25,701 points (a 15.01% gain). My portfolio has outperformed the benchmark by substantial margin.
"Not bad soldier, not bad at all." The jump Air China did is incredible, although not foreseeable. My better stocks did between +5 and +18%, but with my high risk shares pretty much in turmoil, my whole portfolio is at some -15%. I'm awaiting a nice bunch of dividends in the next weeks, though.

However, i have liquidated my entire portfolio just today because i think the market is generally overbought. I have moved all the capital into ONE single stock and it will do magic in precisely 5-8 months time. But i can't tell you what it is.
Huh? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole bunch of investors, what's moving a stock? After I got a new stock I always publish it on different investor boards, hoping to get more "flow" into those stocks. Or are you in a legal binding with the company?

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:32 PM

Since the Loonie is now at par... I am gonna burn some PLASTIC south of the border baby...

Canadian retailers better start adjusting some prices... or risk loosing some sales to the US.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Sealobo
Sep 21, 2007, 02:52 AM

Huh? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole bunch of investors, what's moving a stock? After I got a new stock I always publish it on different investor boards, hoping to get more "flow" into those stocks. Or are you in a legal binding with the company?

Regards
PB.
Some people (actually i doubt) might remember a thread started by me a while ago. I specifically recommended one stock and one stock only in Hong Kong and nobody really listened. I think the thread ended in flame.

Anyway, the stock price shot through the roof, like tripled.

This time the opportunity is even greater; 80% of the outstanding shares have, reportedly as required by local security authority, become institutional holdings in the last 12 months through new shares placement and market accumulation. The majority of the remaining 20% are largely accumulated by long term investors directly from the market (these are not reported because by regulation holding under 5% is not required to file for the general public).

This explains why the stock need no more help. As the portion of the outstanding shares being traded on board (versus those being "collected") become smaller and smaller (say less than 10%), the stock price is more efficient in adjusting to new info and its true value because less interferences (such as profit taking) are there to distort the price movement. The prep work of the imminent surge is done; when the [i]good news/i] become widely available to the general public, the large demand vs. the small portion of supply will drive the price up like nuts.

I can give you a hint. This firm is, with the blessing of the Chinese government, on verge to become a monopoly of a particular sector in China.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2007, 08:32 AM

Some people (actually i doubt) might remember a thread started by me a while ago. I specifically recommended one stock and one stock only in Hong Kong and nobody really listened. I think the thread ended in flame.

Anyway, the stock price shot through the roof, like tripled.
I know you gave financial advice on several occasions and some people treated you like dirt. So I'd guess you don't want them to have a free ride on your tail? Well, PM or better EM me, I am sure I have some inside info for you too.
My problem with informations about the Chinese markets is that typical German banks show only the whole Hang Seng and Shanghai A index values but no connection to their single stocks or sectors...

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Sealobo
Sep 22, 2007, 02:30 PM

I know you gave financial advice on several occasions and some people treated you like dirt. So I'd guess you don't want them to have a free ride on your tail? Well, PM or better EM me, I am sure I have some inside info for you too.
My problem with informations about the Chinese markets is that typical German banks show only the whole Hang Seng and Shanghai A index values but no connection to their single stocks or sectors...

Regards
PB.
Can you trade individual stocks listed in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange through your local broker?

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 02:05 AM

I would like to learn about stocks. Everything about the market. I'm so clueless when it comes to this. I guess that means there is reading ahead...damn.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Tiresias
Sep 23, 2007, 03:43 AM

That is not to be doubted.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
I would like to learn about stocks. Everything about the market. I'm so clueless when it comes to this. I guess that means there is reading ahead...damn.
If you wanna be edumacated and entertained, start watching Jim Cramer - Mad Money.

-t

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 06:35 AM

Can you trade individual stocks listed in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange through your local broker?
Yes, absolutely. The problem is the missing additional information (sector+competitors, quarterlies, performance, ratios...) that kept me from investing my money. I get every little information about German companies and still solid info about U.S. companies but nearly nothing about Chinese ones.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 23, 2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
It is funny how this market is going. Thousands of years ago in the 1980s a daily swing of 2 or 3 percent was common. We have been accustomed to slow, steady increases for years and now a 300 point swing has everyone terrified even though as percentage it is quite small.
People like drama. Drama sells news. News becomes drama queens to sell.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 23, 2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj View Post
Canadian retailers better start adjusting some prices... or risk loosing some sales to the US.
Shhhhh!

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2007, 07:05 AM

Okay, now free for all:

ACMH Absolute Capital Management Holding Ltd.
Symbol: A9B.FSE
ISIN: KYG006011079
WKN: A0JEGU

When their notorious investor Florian Homm quit, the stock plummeted -90%. But someone on the investor board had a line to a large scale investor who's close to the company. He gave us some info about the financial standing and the restructuring of their critical fonds. Well, I'm plus 34% now in just a few days.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2007, 10:05 AM

Yes, and you're also in for insider trading. Smart move, publishing this on teh intarwebs

-t

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, and you're also in for insider trading. Smart move, publishing this on teh intarwebs

-t
Bah. Information by dozens of wake people posted on a trader bulletin board, some hours before the lemming masses got their run on the stock... Everyone who followed the stock closely had the same info.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules