Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going from Cell Phone to Landline

Going from Cell Phone to Landline (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 04:12 AM

Wilhelm.tel is a local ISP/TV pipe that supplies building co-ops in and around Hamburg.

Fiber-optic terminal in the basement supplies guaranteed 100/10 per subscriber, landline, and 300 channels of shit on the tv to choose from.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 04:30 AM

So, you basically do live inside an exchange.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The "Do Not Call" registry has worked wonders on our hangups/telemarketing. Very rare now. And I don't think our phone does SMS...

Let's rescue the USPS and go back to writing letters. Or send servants around to deliver messages and wait for replies. Pony express!
Ours failed us big time, any company can buy the Do Not Call list for 50 bucks which is designed so they dont call you but they end up in the hands of Indian call centers which are untouchable by our laws causing more telemarketing then before for those that registered.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I have both.

1) I need a hardwired landline for my alarm system. Technically I could go wireless but it wouldn't actually save me money. Actually, if I went wireless, I'd do it as a backup.
2) Long distance is a lot cheaper with a land line (or internet-based "land" line), as opposed to my cell.

BTW, I run my VDSL2+ (25 down 7 up) through my land line too. My internet provider would actually charge me extra $ per month if it were a dry loop with no land line telephone, so it justifies having the land line even more.

P.S. I don't have Facebook or Twitter accounts, and I've turned off iMessaging. I just do texts and email, and both don't require immediate response, because nobody knows if I'm "online" or not.
I got unlimited US and Canada calling on my cell with the unlimited minutes. Long distance is not a issue for me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Ours failed us big time, any company can buy the Do Not Call list for 50 bucks which is designed so they dont call you but they end up in the hands of Indian call centers which are untouchable by our laws causing more telemarketing then before for those that registered.
The Do Not Call list works well for me.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2011, 07:40 PM

You don't even have to go back to land line, Google phone is free if you have internet.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2011, 10:40 PM

[I] use mainly my landline which I need for work. I've had a cell since late 1991, but have always used when on the road, never had it on at home. And strictly to talk to wife and some friends. It was off most of the time unless I chose to turn it on. Now I just got seduced by the 4S iPhone, and it is so tempting to use it as a 'real' 2nd phone, on all the time, Contacts giving me easy access to my info... Oh well, I never sought the simple life, and, there is always voicemail!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
You don't even have to go back to land line, Google phone is free if you have internet.
Do you mean Google Voice? Can it receive calls? Because I thought it forwarded them to a real phone line, which means it's not a replacement for a phone line.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Do you mean Google Voice? Can it receive calls? Because I thought it forwarded them to a real phone line, which means it's not a replacement for a phone line.
Skype with a Skype-In number?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 04:21 AM

would be stuck handing out a US number, skype cant provide Canadian numbers. Besides rather have a reliable phone if I was to not have a cell phone. That rules out all internet phones. After all if something is wrong with the internet im screwed.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2011, 09:26 AM

Besides rather have a reliable phone if I was to not have a cell phone. That rules out all internet phones. After all if something is wrong with the internet im screwed.
I carry around a cheap back-up cell phone for just that reason. However, I think it's just as possible that there could be something wrong with your cellular network. I don't find the cellular networks to be anymore reliable than the Internet. And, with the Internet you have many more points of redundancy: if the cellular network is down, you can easily find a WiFi hotspot; if Skype is down, you can switch to Google Voice; if anything other than your direct point of access to the Internet is down, the Internet can route traffic around that dead spot.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2011, 09:34 AM

Google Voice does forward calls to a "real phone line", but you can also receive and place calls using Voice without a "real phone line". If you have Voice set up, an option appears in Google Talk to "Call Phone". This uses your Voice number to dial-out to a landline through Talk. You can also receive calls from landlines to this number. The Talkatone app for iOS gives you an iPhone-like phone interface for the Google Voice/Google Talk combination. I use it almost exclusively for my voice calls.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 10:05 AM

I haven't been impressed with Skype at all. Very unreliable on cellular networks or hotel WiFi networks. Not even that great on wired internet access, because there are so many possible points of degradation I guess.

I haven't tried Google Voice yet, though.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2011, 10:15 AM

I much prefer Google Voice to Skype. I use it through gmail on my computer all the time for conference calls and such and have actually had people comment on the quality of my connection.

I really wish there was (and am starting to consider developing myself) an app that allowed you to do that outside of the browser though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 11:44 AM

Aren't there VOIP adaptors which work with Google Voice, or are you trying to do something else?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Aren't there VOIP adaptors which work with Google Voice, or are you trying to do something else?
It is possible to get your Google Voice number working with a SIP phone (soft or otherwise), but I've never found a really satisfactory solution for that. All I really want is a desktop VoIP app that lets me make and receive calls through my USB headset like I do in the gmail window, only without having to keep my browser window open to my gmail account and signed into Google Talk (I often use encrypted chats in Adium, and it's really annoying when they sometimes pop up as gibberish in my gmail window).

Google does provide an API and libraries for writing a client, so I'm thinking I may just do it myself.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 03:22 PM

I hang up on people who use VOIP to call me and I would never subject any one I care enough to talk to with VOIP. When it works its fine. When it fails which is often due to so many points of failure its horrible. You can't count on call quality with VOIP, to many variables not in your control .

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2011, 03:38 PM

I hang up on people who use VOIP to call me and I would never subject any one I care enough to talk to with VOIP. When it works its fine. When it fails which is often due to so many points of failure its horrible. You can't count on call quality with VOIP, to many variables not in your control .
So I assume you hang up on people who use iPhones to call you too, then?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
So I assume you hang up on people who use iPhones to call you too, then?
I don't talk to any one on US networks so no

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
It is possible to get your Google Voice number working with a SIP phone (soft or otherwise), but I've never found a really satisfactory solution for that. All I really want is a desktop VoIP app that lets me make and receive calls through my USB headset like I do in the gmail window, only without having to keep my browser window open to my gmail account and signed into Google Talk (I often use encrypted chats in Adium, and it's really annoying when they sometimes pop up as gibberish in my gmail window).

Google does provide an API and libraries for writing a client, so I'm thinking I may just do it myself.
Ahhh. I got ya.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 05:03 PM

Stockholm syndrome?
I'm more worried about Helsinki Syndrome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The two are the same thing....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
So is Hammond.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules