Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ford Sync - iOS 6 BT MAP Profile - How Too

Ford Sync - iOS 6 BT MAP Profile - How Too
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 04:23 PM

Ok so I have been seeing confusion all over the web today about if its working or not. If its working on anything other then the iPhone 4S and 5 or not and so on. Im here to clear it up. I had to wait until later in the day to do the update so like many I had been searching online about the Blue Tooth MAP which was in the beta.

To clear things up

YES - Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) works on 4 and I suspect on 3GS too.
YES - It made it to the final software
YES - it does work with Ford Sync 3.1 and up

I don't know if it works right with Ford My Touch, some one else will have to test that out.

Anyways if you update the phone and try to use it the Ford Sync will continue to say not supported.

You MUST Sync from the phone and then delete the Phone from Ford Sync

After you have done this re-link Sync to your iPhone and this time around the Ford Sync will see the BT MAP

Additionally in the phone if you go to details under Sync you will see a option "Show Notifications" with a slider on and off. By default its off. You need to turn that on.

If you don't delete Sync from the phone and the profile from the car first, that Show Notifications option will not be there.

I hope this helps.

This probably will apply to many of the Car systems from BMW, Honda, Fords My Touch system for those upgrading phones. Hope others test that out on the other cars to confirm it
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

mattskr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 06:46 PM

Ok I have a 2012 F150. I have tried what you described for about an hour without success. Here's what I have tried:

Deleted the phone from Sync. Deleted Sync from the phone. Clicked "Add" in Sync, find Sync on the phone, enter the password and they get paired. Sync recognizes that it has MAP support because I can click on Text Messaging and I don't see the usual "This feature is not supported" message.

However, I never see the "Show Notifications" option. If I send a message from Sync, it never gets received. Likewise, if I click "Download" on Sync it gives me an error message almost immediately: "Error Downloading".

What am I missing? I've tried both a 4 and 4S.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 07:03 PM

There is a additional option in sync, damn I should have video tapped this when I was dicking around with it. You have to turn on messages in sync, and then in advance you need to enable MAP. After that is when I checked my phone and saw the enable the Show Notifications in the phone under sync. I dont know if it showed up before or after i enabled MAP on the Ford side because I didnt look at the phone options first.

Photo here

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25WXqd9VYzFB

Your looking for Show Notifications on the phone.

I will add more photos from my car later when I take some.

fxn2fsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mattskr View Post
Ok I have a 2012 F150. I have tried what you described for about an hour without success. Here's what I have tried:
Deleted the phone from Sync. Deleted Sync from the phone. Clicked "Add" in Sync, find Sync on the phone, enter the password and they get paired. Sync recognizes that it has MAP support because I can click on Text Messaging and I don't see the usual "This feature is not supported" message.
However, I never see the "Show Notifications" option. If I send a message from Sync, it never gets received. Likewise, if I click "Download" on Sync it gives me an error message almost immediately: "Error Downloading".
What am I missing? I've tried both a 4 and 4S.
I have a 2012 F150 and get the same function as you do! I never see the sync messages in my SYNC Either as he shows in the photstream pic. I see the contact but no messages

fxn2fsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Ok so I have been seeing confusion all over the web today about if its working or not. If its working on anything other then the iPhone 4S and 5 or not and so on. Im here to clear it up. I had to wait until later in the day to do the update so like many I had been searching online about the Blue Tooth MAP which was in the beta.
To clear things up
YES - Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) works on 4 and I suspect on 3GS too.
YES - It made it to the final software
YES - it does work with Ford Sync 3.1 and up
I don't know if it works right with Ford My Touch, some one else will have to test that out.
Anyways if you update the phone and try to use it the Ford Sync will continue to say not supported.
You MUST Sync from the phone and then delete the Phone from Ford Sync
After you have done this re-link Sync to your iPhone and this time around the Ford Sync will see the BT MAP
Additionally in the phone if you go to details under Sync you will see a option "Show Notifications" with a slider on and off. By default its off. You need to turn that on.
If you don't delete Sync from the phone and the profile from the car first, that Show Notifications option will not be there.
I hope this helps.
This probably will apply to many of the Car systems from BMW, Honda, Fords My Touch system for those upgrading phones. Hope others test that out on the other cars to confirm it
What Vehicle is this for?
I have ver 4.1.4t on my ford sync F150 2012

mattskr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fxn2fsh View Post
What Vehicle is this for?
I have ver 4.1.4t on my ford sync F150 2012
I have a 2012 F150 with the Sync navigation system. I just spent another 30 minutes with this. I turned off "Text Message Notification" and "Map Profile" in the Sync settings, then turned it back on. No luck---same thing.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 08:02 PM

I made a video, im just editing it now and will upload it.

I have the 2012 Ford Focus, Sync 3.1 with out Navigation. If you have Navigation then you have the touch screen which is a totally different system. I have no idea on that one.

fxn2fsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattskr View Post
I have a 2012 F150 with the Sync navigation system. I just spent another 30 minutes with this. I turned off "Text Message Notification" and "Map Profile" in the Sync settings, then turned it back on. No luck---same thing.
I believe within the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone is where the 2 options he is referring to. I only show sync contacts no show on the show notifications on my iPhone 4. I bet yours is the same.

mattskr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by fxn2fsh View Post
I believe within the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone is where the 2 options he is referring to. I only show sync contacts no show on the show notifications on my iPhone 4. I bet yours is the same.
Right. I just got done talking to Sync support, who was knowledgable about the iOS6 update but told me "this is more of phone issue, sorry". Uh---when it works on one vehicle and not the other---it's not the phone. However, he did acknowledge that Apple and Ford are working on the issue but I won't hold my breath.

Athens, I think you should update the original post to include which vehicles and systems it works with and which ones it does not.

fxn2fsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2012, 08:34 PM

Man that sucks! Ford and apple working on the issue I can only hope we get an update on both Ford side and apple.
Kind of ticks me off that Ford hasnt updated their sync software for our trucks that have nav either.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 09:22 PM

Oh they are useless, I contacted them before I even got the update and was told it wont work.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 09:25 PM

Ok video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LcrYY9V7_w&feature=youtu.be

cloemans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 10:20 AM

Hi Atheens,

Thanks for sharing your experience and the make the video.

I have version 3.1 but with other sync (It's a Fiesta), the thing is that I don't have the "MAP profile" in the Sync Menu.
Question, these option was before you did the resync ? Or it appear after that ?

Thanks!

kcm3
Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 AM

This worked for me on my Fiesta once I turned on MAP and Text Message Notification. It reads the messages out loud, which is nice, but doesn't say or show you who the message is from... progress, I suppose.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cloemans View Post
Hi Atheens,
Thanks for sharing your experience and the make the video.
I have version 3.1 but with other sync (It's a Fiesta), the thing is that I don't have the "MAP profile" in the Sync Menu.
Question, these option was before you did the resync ? Or it appear after that ?
Thanks!
Not sure, I think the MAP was always there. But this is the Canadian version of the car too. Sync is slightly different between Canada, US and Europe as well (go ford)

I will be doing my moms car this weekend which is also a Fiesta. I will have a chance to check then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules