Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Color calibrators

Color calibrators
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 05:29 PM

I just had the screen on my MBP replaced and the new screen seems to have a bit of a pink hue to it and all the colors seem more cold. I've tried calibrating the monitor profile but cannot get it to look decent.

So I'm looking for some sort of device that will do this for me, or at least aid me in calibrating my screen (and hopefully it makes it easy, and if it were able to calibrate the MBP LCD to match an external LCD that would be awesome too). I've looked at the pantone huey, and from everything I can gather it isn't that good.

I'm not looking to spend much, are there any good solutions in the $100 or less range?

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
I just had the screen on my MBP replaced and the new screen seems to have a bit of a pink hue to it and all the colors seem more cold. I've tried calibrating the monitor profile but cannot get it to look decent.

So I'm looking for some sort of device that will do this for me, or at least aid me in calibrating my screen (and hopefully it makes it easy, and if it were able to calibrate the MBP LCD to match an external LCD that would be awesome too). I've looked at the pantone huey, and from everything I can gather it isn't that good.

I'm not looking to spend much, are there any good solutions in the $100 or less range?
If you're unhappy why not take it back for re-replacement ?

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
If you're unhappy why not take it back for re-replacement ?
Thought about it, and I may, however I would also like to have my MBP LCD calibrated to my external LCD, so I may as well buy a calibrator.

OreoCookie
Oct 26, 2008, 08:41 AM

I bought a Color Spyder 2 Express from amazon for $65. I have always underestimated what difference it makes. There is also the Huey, although there have been repeated reports that it should rather be called purple Huey.

No matter which tool you use, make sure to calibrate it correctly: let the screen warm up for at least half an hour. Calibrate it in a dark(ened) room.

Despite a feature list which says the contrary, you can calibrate several monitors with the Express model (well, one at a time). Another piece of advice: use ColorSync Utility to rename the profile -- this makes it easier to identify in the System Prefs and I always include a date to indicate when the screen was calibrated last.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2008, 11:39 AM

All the reviews on the spyder 2 express look great, and the price is really appealing. When it calibrates does it create a separate profile in colorsync? I would hope it doesn't alter the stock profiles.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 12:43 AM

Uncalibrated displays generally are too cold and too bluish/white, at least on the Mac platform. And they are too bright for image work if you run them at a higher setting.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 12:46 AM

The Eye One Display 2 costs 190$, the light version of the same 140$.

For dependable calibration I recommend the full version.

But you might check out if the Eye One Display 2 Light uses the same head as the full version (I doubt it).

OreoCookie
Oct 27, 2008, 05:51 AM

Yes, it will create a separate profile. Since this has a standard name, I recommend you use ColorSync Utility to change the description. This is particularly useful if you use two monitors simultaneously.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 30, 2008, 09:17 PM

Another vote against the Huey. It achieves about the accuracy that I get by using SuperCal, and doesn't really achieve any kind of matching between displays. If I were spending the money now, I'd do the $200 Eye One.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Another vote against the Huey. It achieves about the accuracy that I get by using SuperCal, and doesn't really achieve any kind of matching between displays. If I were spending the money now, I'd do the $200 Eye One.
Exactly. The Huey only sells the illusion of getting calibration for 80$, while the true price (when you really see a good performance) is at around 200$ for the i1d2.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2008, 11:20 PM

There's a rather new tool out called Color Munki by X-Rite.

Currently 350$ (when using a 100$ mail-in rebate). Does screen calibration and custom printer profiling. Has still some quirks, but largely works.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2008, 12:16 AM

The hardware is exactly the same on the i1d 2 and the LE (or is it LT?) models. The LE just has crippled software. Honestly, the LE should be fine for you. Neither of these are the best, but both do a fine job. The added features of the pro don't justify the price for most casual users. They will both make the exact same profiles on a given display at a standard gama of say 2.2 (which is what I recommend). And ultimately you can upgrade the LE to pro down the road if you really want to.
Keep in mind though, that you will not be able to "match" one display to another. That's simply not how these work at this price point on displays with no true hardware control (pretty much all of them out there with only few exceptions). The idea is to get them both as close to accurate as possible. And in doing so they should approach a "match". And as long as your rent doesn't depend on seeing the difference, you'll be perfectly happy with the approximation.
I may be able to find the LE for about 100 bucks, but not til tomorrow. I'll post if I can. I'll also link to a true killer profiler if you're interested. I'm not doing so now only cuz I'm on my iPhone.

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
The Eye One Display 2 costs 190$, the light version of the same 140$.

For dependable calibration I recommend the full version.

But you might check out if the Eye One Display 2 Light uses the same head as the full version (I doubt it).

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2008, 12:31 AM

Oh yeah, and forget the Huey. It's a joke. In some of the official dealer documentation when it was first announced, they listed some benefits of Huey to use to sell potential buyers. Among these was "body snaps together easily". This is funny because of course it ships fully assembled. I guess that lacking any meaningful attributes they reached some...

Forum Links
Forum Rules