Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Say hello to iPhone 3GS

Say hello to iPhone 3GS (Page 2)
reidzor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The only way CDMA will happen is if they make a specific version for the Chinese market. Most of the rest of the planet is on GSM.

I *highly* doubt that they'd sell that Chinese version in the U.S., though:

First, to keep a single phone line in a single market. How would they differentiate the CDMA version? Do they really want different, completely incompatible but otherwise identical phones flying around the used market two years down the line?

Second, they have an exclusive distribution agreement with AT&T.
Blackberry does it. Just saying. Plus the distribution agreement has an end date, it has to. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by reidzor View Post
Blackberry does it. Just saying. Plus the distribution agreement has an end date, it has to. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
IIRC, the exclusive agreement was set for five years.

See you in 2012. I suspect that CDMA for the US market will be even less of a priority then than now.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2009, 03:02 AM

If the end of that agreement is set so that 4G arrives around the same time, this whole discussion is moot and there will never be a CDMA iPhone.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
there will never be a CDMA iPhone.
Apart from an CDMA iPhone for the largest cell phone market in the world?

mi_canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
June 2010 on Verizon as CDMA
keep dreaming.... besides CDMA dying a slow death... Verizon will never get the iPhone... their policies and philosophies (ie. controlling the UI, locking down phones tighter than Fort Knox) is complete polar opposite from Apple.... You're just going to have to switch to AT&T or jailbreak and use on T-Mo... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.2Ghz/200GB 7200rpm HD

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 02:56 AM

Has anybody managed to find a list of the countries/carriers that will support iPhone OS 3.0 tethering? Apple mentioned there will be several and that AT&T is not one of them, but what about the rest of the world? My carrier doesn't mention anything on their own web page and instead links to Apple' pages.

Any list out there?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 04:50 AM

T-Mobile Germany does not support tethering at this time.

Appears to indicate that they will at some point, though - probably when they've figured out how to gouge us for it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 03:14 PM

What about all the other 'official' iPhone carriers? Are only AT&T and T-Mobile Germany stalling?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2009, 06:36 AM

The fact that CDMA isn't dead in the US yet isn't giving me hope of seeing you adopt the metric system in my lifetime…

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2009, 12:20 PM

The iPhone 3G S loses against the Palm Pre in 2 of 3 speed tests with flaky 3G reception:

YouTube - Speed Test: Apple iPhone 3G S vs iPhone 3G vs Plam Pre

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2009, 08:16 PM

Dumb tests all around. Weird that the Palm takes almost 2 minutes to boot though. Yikes.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2009, 01:49 AM

If the end of that agreement is set so that 4G arrives around the same time, this whole discussion is moot and there will never be a CDMA iPhone.
The way the technology is getting built on we may see a "Say hello to iPhone 4G" thread this time next year...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2009, 07:49 AM

I went to the Apple Store on 5th Avenue this morning but there was a really big queue if you hadn't pre-ordered, so I went to the AT&T store around the corner from my office which had around 8 people.

Just after 7am they opened the doors to the three people who had pre-ordered and then a few minutes after them they let the rest of us come in and buy.

I bought the 32gb in white and am busy setting it up now. My phone number has not ported over yet, but I have it on wifi and have been playing with the video and compass.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2009, 08:40 AM

I was 4th in line at my local AT&T store, and it took less than 10 minutes to activate my phone and get me out the door. Very smooth. Now I need to sit down and play with the thing to learn its secrets...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2009, 08:55 AM

So this will be my first iPhone transfer since I have a launch day one.

I backed up my phone last night.

When I get the 3GS, I assume I activate it via iTunes, but once I do that and assign my phone number to it, will iTunes restore that data to the new phone?

mdc: Why would it take so long for the number to port?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2009, 09:42 AM

starman. Not sure why it took so long but I just turned it off and turned it back on. Once it turned back on it said it's activated and the phone works.

I haven't transfered any data over to it since I sync with my iMac at home. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
The way the technology is getting built on we may see a "Say hello to iPhone 4G" thread this time next year...
I was talking about the 4G network (LTE Advanced, etc.), not the next-gen. iPhone. If the next iPhone is launched a year from now it will still run on a 3G network. 4G networks won't be ready by then.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2009, 09:57 AM

The iPhone 3GS comes with Apple's new headphones with the volume up and down buttons on it.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009, 10:52 AM

I was talking about the 4G network (LTE Advanced, etc.), not the next-gen. iPhone. If the next iPhone is launched a year from now it will still run on a 3G network. 4G networks won't be ready by then.
On GSM is the US they wont.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
The iPhone 3GS comes with Apple's new headphones with the volume up and down buttons on it.
Everyone with the current 3G should wait till next year. This phone is a test rig for 2010. at&t requires at least another year to get it's act together. You wont have MMS till Sept if your lucky, and forget tethering for this year, or video chat until 2010. Despite the chip supporting HD. It's such a shame at&t is so lame, and so behind Europe on GSM.

3.0 on my 3G has given it very nice features. However, I'm not a gamer, so I may be in the minority.

I still think there is a possibility for a CDMA if the China deal is really done.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
On GSM is the US they wont.
4G networks don't "run on top of" GSM or CDMA. If you want, 4G/LTE Adv. or whatever other name they end up giving it will be the successor of networks like today's GSM or CDMA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules