Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" Imac G5 issues...

17" Imac G5 issues...
Hmongolian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2009, 12:52 AM

Hey, going to be my first post on this site. I been wandering around reading other topics and such and never had an urge to post anything until now. My 17" Imac g5 has started acting all weird. First issue is, my wireless keyboard and mouse keeps losing connection with the system. When it gets a connection, the mouse moves in jagged motions and is very unresponsive, and with the keyboard, if I press a key, for example, I press "e" it does "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and goes on forever until I move the keyboard out of range. For my other issue, if I move the machine more than a few feet away from the wireless router, airport just loses it's connection and can't find my router anymore... Is there anyway I can fix this? I love my imac and would like some help..

reader50
Administrator
Nov 26, 2009, 01:31 AM

On the airport question, two possibilities come to mind.

1) antenna has come loose from the card. Difficult to check since they started building the cards in. Though your iMac will open easily if it doesn't have the iSight built in.
2) your airport channel is congested or has a lot of interference. Try changing your router to a different channel.

No ideas on the bluetooth problems -- though if you are close to a strong source of EM interference, it might mess up anything wireless.

P
Nov 26, 2009, 04:38 AM

1) could easily explain the Bluetooth issues as well, as I'm pretty sure that it is the same antenna assembly.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2009, 04:55 AM

ahh... thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try and open this baby up to check it. I'll let you know what I find.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2009, 05:37 AM

Even the last of the 17" iMac G5's had separate airport and bluetooth cards. I can't think of a good explanation that bridges the gap.

P
Nov 26, 2009, 08:39 AM

The CARDS were separate, but the antenna assembly was not.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2009, 05:08 PM

Depends on which 17". /shrug

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2009, 06:25 PM

Simple question first: Did you change the batteries for the keyboard and mouse? I always got those symptoms when the batteries were low.

As for wireless LAN, my iMac G5 always sucked. When I sold my iMac G5 I had to sell it with a wireless adapter because the built-in WiFi support was useless at any distance.

Is this a "new" iMac G5 for you? Cuz if it is, you may just be experiencing these common problems for the first time.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 02:26 AM

I had the Imac for quite some time now. It's just recently started acting like this. I did change out the batteries with new ones. I noticed that if I use the bluetooth keyboard and mouse real close to the imac, like right underneath it, it'll see and work fine.. but when I move it like 4 inches or so away, it drops off. I also opened the Imac up and tried to locate where everything was plugged in, but am at a total loss with the Imac interior devices and such.. I'm more used to identifying PC parts rather than trying to determine what part is what on a mac...

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2009, 02:42 AM

The Airport / Bluetooth card is mounted flat, right below the optical drive, beside the battery. You can see the two antenna wires going up from it until they duck under the motherboard edge. One continues up under the optical drive, the other sneaks up under the fan housing. The cables connect to the underside of the card. You'll probably need to unscrew it and lift it off the motherboard before you can check how well the cables are plugged in.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 03:19 AM

oh sweet. I did see those cards, there were 2 of them. I'll have to see if I have a alan wrench small enough to unscrew them. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I find.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2009, 03:39 AM

Torx screw driver.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 10:59 PM

Ok I opened it and removed it, I noticed that the wires for the gray card, just popped right off... like they were pulled off.. Well, I see the connection there, is that the Airport card? Also, is the black card next to it the bluetooth? Here's an image...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2009, 11:10 PM

The one you have labeled "bluetooth" is actually your modem. The card labeled "airport" is actually an AirPort/Bluetooth card combo.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 11:11 PM

ah... ok, good deal! Now I just gotta jimmy the 2 wires back on the card and I'll be good to go! Thanks for all the help and info guys!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

The iPhone needs a better camera. GPS tagging is cool though.

So, did the fix work? I wonder how it came loose.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 11:22 PM

I'm in the process of soldering the wires back on.. I believe it got loose somewhere in between my moving from one house to another... It seemed like the wires were pretty tight in there, and probably came loose over time... Hopefully this fix will work... Oh and yes the iphone needs a better camera...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 PM

You shouldn't have to solder, they are designed to just pop on.. But if you have to solder, I suppose it shouldn't hurt anything.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 11:49 PM

i have to solder because the wires have been pulled off of the connectors that pop on..

Anyhow, the wireless works great, as for the bluetooth... I believe I'm going to have to find a place to buy the airport/blutooth antenna wires so I can replace.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 30, 2009, 01:52 AM

The antenna part numbers are 922-6875 and 922-6874. You can find them via google product search.

I'd do more testing before buying though. I think airport and bluetooth share both antennas, so it's odd that airport works and bluetooth doesn't. Perhaps only one antenna wire is bad (or grounded). Try moving the router down to where the keyboard / mouse is, to see if that area is a dead zone.

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2009, 01:29 PM

thanks. I tried that, the wifi still connects, but the bluetooth only seems to work directly below the monitor and above the imac stand...

Hmongolian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2009, 11:39 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! I ordered those 2 antenna parts and installed them and now the g5 is working awesome compared to my solder job... lol..

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2009, 11:45 PM

Sweet.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 4, 2009, 01:27 AM

I love threads like this. The new hollywood writers are wrong - the happy ending DOES matter.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2009, 02:20 AM

Interesting thread. I've had similar issues with my G5 but haven't bothered trying to fix it after getting my MacBook Pro. I think this weekend I'll take a look at ordering new antennae or jimmying it. My G5 has always had a weak AirPort connection as well whenever I use it (normally hooked up via Ethernet), I'm curious to see if this will help at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules