Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > compatible ac adapters for 5300

compatible ac adapters for 5300
Feb 3, 2001, 06:24 PM

Does anyone know if there are any AC Adapters that are compatible with a 5300 powerbook besides the one it ships with?

Thanks

Wolfe
Feb 4, 2001, 04:29 AM

no, as you may know this PowerBook has serious problems with the power connector on the back breaking off (bad plug design - put too much stress on the soldered logic board connector). Other than the 190, no other PowerBook of that era, or any other era for that matter, used the design (not even the 3400)

Wolfe

nickeltong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 04:40 PM

I've had the same problem. I have replaced two A/C adapters and one motherboard. Luckily when I replaced the motherboard, it was still under warrantee. Several companies made smaller A/C adapters but they are hard to find. The last one I bought was from a Apple Authroized Store. I got the original A/C adapter. Costs about $100.

If your problem is on the motherboard, you can fix it yourself. I Did.

Take the powerbook apart. You will need to buy a star shaped screwdriver. Remove parts until you expose the adapter plug. You will find the plug kind of loose to the touch.

Now you will need two things: Crazy Glue and a soldering Gun. Squeeze some glue under the power adapter plug to hold it forever in place. use a soldering Gun to reinforce the connectors holding the power adapter in place. When finished, make sure the connector are not crossed and is held firmly in place. Replace all parts. It would be prudent to get a new A/C adapter if the original plug is worn out or defective.

By the way, this will void any warranty you have. Chances are you have no warranty to void.

jo momma
Feb 20, 2001, 11:11 PM

you can send any 5300 back to apple on the extended warranty program if the ac plug breaks. Just call 1800SOSAPPL and listen to the message. They'll ship it to texas and fix it within a couple of day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules