Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > firewire HD wont mount

firewire HD wont mount
treebytron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 05:44 PM

I was ejecting my external firewire HD and it disappeared from the desktop so I figured it was disconnected and I turned it off. I got a message about "device removal" and how I could have damaged it, but I figured it was fine. Now when I turn on the hd it wont mount. I opened up disk utility and it sees the hd, but it's grayed out. I tried to mount it from there but it wont mount. The red light blinks on the drive, but nothing happens. I tried verifying it and repairing it, but disk utility found nothing wrong with the drive. What do I do?

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2005, 10:12 PM

Is there anything important on it? If not, give a reformat a try..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

treebytron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2005, 10:02 PM

there's a bunch of important stuff on it, I'm sure it would reformat alright if I asked it to.

gbarill
Jul 11, 2005, 09:54 AM

i'm assuming you've tried turning it on and off and on again and such...
my external FW drive does that sometimes, usually a couple tries gets it to work.. or else i go into disk utility and try repairing permissions and stuff, then retry it

treebytron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 11:48 AM

I wonder if erasing it and then recovering files from it would work. Because the only problem with the drive is the information that tells it how to mount or whatever. All the files should be intact. I didn't turn it off while anything was transfering. Hmmm but would it find all the files....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 12:04 PM

You should give some HD utilities a try. Diskworrior or so...

-t

khufuu
Jul 12, 2005, 01:05 AM

Have you tried keeping the drive connected and rebooting your machine?

I haven't worked with external devices like this but I'm wondering if doing this will re-mount it then. That's what I'd try next.

treebytron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 12:27 AM

yeah I tried turning it on and then restarting. I guess I could try shutting down the computer and then turning on the drive and then turning on the computer. I'm going to try disk warrior soon I think.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by treebytron
yeah I tried turning it on and then restarting. I guess I could try shutting down the computer and then turning on the drive and then turning on the computer. I'm going to try disk warrior soon I think.
Stop trying anything else and get DiskWarrior ASAP and rebuild the directory structure! This scenario happened to me numerous times, and DW resurrected my FW drives *every* time.

treebytron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the help. Disk Warrior worked like a charm. I didn't lose any files and my drive is back and working with no problems. Horray!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by treebytron
Thanks for all the help. Disk Warrior worked like a charm. I didn't lose any files and my drive is back and working with no problems. Horray!
You are welcome.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules