Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problems with Appletalk/Ethernet on 9.2.2

Problems with Appletalk/Ethernet on 9.2.2
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 01:30 PM

I'm trying to help a friend solve a problem on her beige 233 G3 desktop, and it's driving me nuts.

She has the machine and a Brother multifunction fax/printer combo. We're trying to connect to the Brother via Ethernet, and for some reason I can not get the computer to see the Brother. When I go to the Appletalk control panel and try to switch from "Remote Only" to "Ethernet" I get an error message which says something like, "there was a problem using Ethernet. Please check your network port settings."

Thing is, I can't figure out what in the world this means. She's not hooked up to any network at all, and I have run through all the other options I can think of. I have chcked every possible control panel I can think of to no avail. Changing the TCP/IP settings to "Ethernet" does nothing. There were problems with weird crashes, so I nuked her drive and did a fresh install of 9.1, then a fresh upgrade to 9.2.2. I know the cable is good, because I have tested it on my machine.

Anyone have any ideas?

macboyca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 02:51 PM

Likely a driver issue. Make sure you have the driver in the extensions folder.
www.macboy.ca

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by macboyca:
Likely a driver issue. Make sure you have the driver in the extensions folder.
Driver for what? I did a clean install up to 9.2.2.

rytc
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Driver for what? I did a clean install up to 9.2.2.
The driver for the Brother perhaps? Have you downloaded and installed all the software for the printer?

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by rytc:
The driver for the Brother perhaps? Have you downloaded and installed all the software for the printer?
Yes.

The problem isn't the Brother. The machine will not let me select Ethernet for Appletalk � says there's a problem with the network ports, which makes no sense, cause I'm trying to set the network ports. . .

rytc
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Yes.

The problem isn't the Brother. The machine will not let me select Ethernet for Appletalk � says there's a problem with the network ports, which makes no sense, cause I'm trying to set the network ports. . .
Is Appletalk turned on or off in the Chooser? Perhaps turning it off selecting ethernet and then turning it back on will help. What port is currently selected in the Appletalk control panel?

rytc
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 08:43 PM

Also have you checked to see the ethernet card isn't shagged? This may explain why the system can't switch you over. I just checked and I'm able to switch between remote only and Ethernet using the Appletalk Control panel regardless of whether Appletalk is active or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules