Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to share DSL connection btw win98 & Jaguar

How to share DSL connection btw win98 & Jaguar
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2003, 02:33 PM

That is basically my question... I want to connect the PC w/ my G4... the PC has a DSL connection on it... what should I do?
Think Diferente!

Camelot
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by jeronimo:
That is basically my question... I want to connect the PC w/ my G4... the PC has a DSL connection on it... what should I do?
Define "PC has a DSL connection", please.

Do you mean that you have a DSL modem attached directly to the PC, presumably via USB?

Or does the DSL modem connect via ethernet to the PC?

If the first, and assuming you're running Windows, you should be able to turn on Internet Connection Sharing on the PC (depending on which Windows version you're running). This will let the Mac use the PC as a router to connect to the internet. The main drawback of this system is that the PC will need to be on all the time.

However, if the DSL modem connects via ethernet, the chances are that you can just connect a hub or switch between the DSL modem and the PC, and hang the Mac off the same switch. both machines can then independently access the DSL line.
This requires that the DSL modem supports NAT and DHCP. If it doesn't, it might be worth considering replacing the modem with one that does. Running in this setup also provides a degree of security - something to consider if you're running a Windows machine on the net with it's proverbial ass hanging out in the wind.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
However, if the DSL modem connects via ethernet, the chances are that you can just connect a hub or switch between the DSL modem and the PC, and hang the Mac off the same switch. both machines can then independently access the DSL line.
This requires that the DSL modem supports NAT and DHCP. If it doesn't, it might be worth considering replacing the modem with one that does.
Actually, if you just put a router between the modem and computers, you'd be all set. This is what a router is for. It will handle the NAT and DHCP tasks. Routers are very cheap now. Even the wireless models can be had for less than 100 bucks.

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2003, 04:59 PM

Ok, the thing is, I want the Win98 machine to be the server if I have to use a "server"... if both machines could log at the same time independent from each other... that would be awsome...
Think Diferente!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 08:12 PM

Server? Serving what?
Get a router. Both machines will be indepenent and can be on line simultaneously.

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 10:15 AM

Which routers do you recommend? 4 cheap!!!
Think Diferente!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 01:07 PM

Here's a wireless 802.11b model for 49 bucks. It also has a 4 port wired hub. You may not need wireless, but for that price, why the hell not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules