Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Opinions from veteran iBook users please

Opinions from veteran iBook users please
jixdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 03:44 PM

I am looking at purchasing my first Apple computer(s). I think I'd like to buy a 17" iMac for home and was considering either a pbook or iBook for on the go use. What I'd like to know is if the top end iBook with the recent speed bump to 900mhz can handle video editing at a decent pace with iMovie? I'm aware that I can't burn to DVD on the G3 900mhz 14", but I can edit when not at home and burn once I am. If this is uncapable at handling this task, I may consider purchasing the 12"pbook to accomplish this task. I will be doing other things with whatever portable I decide, but I think video editing would be the most strenous use out of it. Opinions, suggestions, comments please.

Thanks,

Jix

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 03:56 PM

While the iBook may be to the task, the 12" PowerBook is the machine you need IMHO. I've never used iMovie on my iBook, but iPhoto is slow. I'd imagine things like rendering transitions, exporting movies, etc., would be optimized for the G4 processor available in the 12" PowerBook.

Either way, you can't lose. Good luck.

webb3201
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 06:13 PM

I would recommend the Powerbook 12" and an Apple LCD (17") as a possible alternative. I think you save money with this option.

I love the iBook and iMac, but if you want to do DVD editing and buring, the G4 is a necessity. Having one computer as your home travel machine is nice especially when it is a Powerbook.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2003, 06:30 PM

I disagree. I think that the iBook is just fine for iMovie editing. If you were going to be using FCP or something like that, then I'd definitely say go with the PowerBook. I edit in iMovie quiet frequently on my 700, and I have no complaints in the speed area.

Also, I'd suggest getting the 12" iBook. The 14" doesn't actually give you any more screen real estate, it just makes everything look bigger (they both have a resolution of 1024x768).

That way with the money you save you could get some extra ram, something both of the computers will definitely need.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 07:29 PM

There was a thread here recently comparing the cost of the hi-end iBook vs. the 12" PB, and the difference was $200. This was before the speed bump, but if you are getting two mac's, what's $200 more?

arclight
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 08:24 PM

The 12" powerbook would be much better suited to the task. The ibook is a great all around, everyday laptop but video editing with it is painfully slow IMO. I never use imovie on my ibook 800 for that very reason, it's just too slow and frustrating.

If you were planning on getting the 14' ibook, the 12" Powerbook isn't all that much more money anyway. You will be MUCH, MUCH happier with the powerbook.
---------------------------------------

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by jixdog:
What I'd like to know is if the top end iBook with the recent speed bump to 900mhz can handle video editing at a decent pace with iMovie? I'm aware that I can't burn to DVD on the G3 900mhz 14", but I can edit when not at home and burn once I am. If this is uncapable at handling this task, I may consider purchasing the 12"pbook to accomplish this task.
I don't crave speed the way a lot of other users in these forums do, and my iBook 700 is perfectly fast enough for everything I do...

BUT, the few times I've had to use iMovie have been rather molasses-like compared to iMovie on a PowerBook. For the difference of around $200, I'd go with the 12" PowerBook instead for your tasks.

--Chris

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 04:32 AM

$1,800 + $1,500.00 = $3,300
17" iMac + 14" iBook =

OR

17" Powerbook -> $3,300
have you considered the 17" PB or is that not an option?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 07:10 AM

iMovie will run just fine on your iBook but it will be slower than on the G4, no doubt.

Why do you want to buy two computers though? I'd get the 12" PB aand buy myself a nice LCD screen for use at home. The PB video card supports resolutions higher than the native PB resolution so no problems there.

Anyway, best of luck with your decision.

jixdog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 06:32 PM

I originally wanted the 17" pbook, but decided against it for a few reasons. My wife is at home pretty much all day with our 2 month old and will be for quite some time. I'd like for her to have a chance at using a Mac as well. If I get either a 12"pbook with an external display or 17"pbook, I will end up having one of those with me at work everyday. If I go with a desktop and a portable, we each have a way to get some things done. I've pretty much ruled out the iBook idea after some more research, and will probably go with the 12"pbook. Looks like a pretty solid computer despite the problems posted in forums.

Thanks,

Jix

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
I would recommend the Powerbook 12" and an Apple LCD (17") as a possible alternative. I think you save money with this option.
No, that won't work at all. The 12" PowerBook only supports VGA-out, and you can't convert VGA to ADC (what the Apple LCDs use) unless you buy a very expensive adapter.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

webb3201
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 09:21 PM

whoops, thanks for that note.....I knew that but forgot. Glad I was not ordering online last night!
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
No, that won't work at all. The 12" PowerBook only supports VGA-out, and you can't convert VGA to ADC (what the Apple LCDs use) unless you buy a very expensive adapter.
True, but Apple isn't the only company that makes LCDs... lots of companies make them and many come with VGA connectors.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 10:56 PM

Yes, that's true. However, VGA LCDs aren't very good... a friend of mine has one and it's not much sharper than a good CRT. Much smaller, at least, but somewhat fuzzy. I think you can get a DVI LCD and a VGA-DVI adapter. I don't know how much those adapters cost but it's definitely less than a VGA-ADC adapter.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Yes, that's true. However, VGA LCDs aren't very good... a friend of mine has one and it's not much sharper than a good CRT. Much smaller, at least, but somewhat fuzzy. I think you can get a DVI LCD and a VGA-DVI adapter. I don't know how much those adapters cost but it's definitely less than a VGA-ADC adapter.
I realize this is ignoring the original intent of the thread but I have to reply to this.

True, you could get a vga to dvi adapter for cheaper than a vga-adc adapter... but what's the point when you can just get a vga lcd in the first place? Once you convert the DVI to VGA you are converting from Digital to Analog anyway. Furthermore, most lcds that have DVI support have VGA support built in anyway. I've used VGA lcds before (am using one right now) and they can be very good quality... obviously if you get a cheap one you run the risk of getting something that's crappy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules