Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ata 6

ata 6
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 01:59 PM

what is the difference between ata6 and ata 100/133
is one like for laptops 2.5 inch and ata100 is 3.5 inch. Im confused.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 02:22 PM

You mean ATA/66 ? if so, ATA/66, 100 and 133 are just the speeds of your bus. You don't really need higher than ATA/66 because even the fastest laptop drives don't saturate the 66 bus IIRC. ATA-66/100/133 exist for both 2,5 and 3,5" harddrives.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
You mean ATA/66 ? if so, ATA/66, 100 and 133 are just the speeds of your bus. You don't really need higher than ATA/66 because even the fastest laptop drives don't saturate the 66 bus IIRC. ATA-66/100/133 exist for both 2,5 and 3,5" harddrives.

I don't think i mean ata66 becuse i know ata 66/100/133 lol. I am confused becuase then y does laptops use ata5 and ata6 i know there isnt a ata 55. Does the powerBook use ata 100 on the specs sheet it said it did. Im thinking of getting the new Hitachi @ 7200 8mb cache but if ata100 is faster then i dont know. i may leave it the same. stalk. apples web site says ata 100 but i havent seen ata 100 for a 2.5 inch hd. http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr7k60.htm

nighttraitor
Jun 11, 2003, 03:02 PM

Anyone can look at the frontpage of Macnn to see the new firewire drive they wrote about. It says "A single bridge controller supports two drives with full ATA-6 speeds." I think thats yoyoman is referring to.

Originally posted by yoyoman:
I don't think i mean ata66 becuse i know ata 66/100/133 lol. I am confused becuase then y does laptops use ata5 and ata6 i know there isnt a ata 55. Does the powerBook use ata 100 on the specs sheet it said it did. Im thinking of getting the new Hitachi @ 7200 8mb cache but if ata100 is faster then i dont know. i may leave it the same. stalk. apples web site says ata 100 but i havent seen ata 100 for a 2.5 inch hd. http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr7k60.htm

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by nighttraitor:
Anyone can look at the frontpage of Macnn to see the new firewire drive they wrote about. It says "A single bridge controller supports two drives with full ATA-6 speeds." I think thats yoyoman is referring to.

sorta. Your right. but on apples web site the powerbook uses ata100 for the powerbook. Is that a 2.5 inch hd? If so then Iv never seen a 2.5 with ata100.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 11, 2003, 06:58 PM

ATA-1 through ATA-6 are the formal names for the currently ratified ATA standards.

ATA/33/66/100/133 are informal names for the various speeds of different ATA buses. (Often these are used when faster buses were installed on a drive or motherboard before the actual standard was ratified! Such is the case with ATA/133, which has not yet been ratified into ATA-7.)

ATA-6 (ATA/100) notebook drives exist, but the same truth applies to them as on desktops: no drive in existance is fast enough to singlehandedly saturate an ATA/66 bus, much less an ATA/100 or ATA/133 bus.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 11, 2003, 06:59 PM

All Apple PowerBooks (and iBooks) ever made use 2.5" drives, by the way. (The only battery-powered computer Apple ever made that used anything else was the Mac Portable in 1989, which used a standard desktop 3.5" drive.)

tooki

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
All Apple PowerBooks (and iBooks) ever made use 2.5" drives, by the way. (The only battery-powered computer Apple ever made that used anything else was the Mac Portable in 1989, which used a standard desktop 3.5" drive.)

tooki
If its a 2.5 how can it be ata 100. for the powerbook.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 11:51 PM

(The only battery-powered computer Apple ever made that used anything else was the Mac Portable in 1989, which used a standard desktop 3.5" drive.)
Pretty much a standard 3.5" drive, except the connector was different.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 09:46 AM

so the power book uses a 3.5 inch drive since its ata100.
or its a 2.5 inch drive.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
so the power book uses a 3.5 inch drive since its ata100.
or its a 2.5 inch drive.
Which powerbook are you referring to?
the 12"Albook and the 17"Albook come with ata 100, and the 15"Tibook comes with ata 66.

12" specs here

15" specs here

17' specs here

Furthermore I checked here , and found out that ata 5 = ata 66 and ata 6 = ata 100.

And yes all powerbooks beside the one tooki mentioned come with 2.5 drives

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 12:33 PM

yoyoman, the size of the harddrive is not tied to the speed of the ATA-bus

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:
Which powerbook are you referring to?
the 12"Albook and the 17"Albook come with ata 100, and the 15"Tibook comes with ata 66.

12" specs here

15" specs here

17' specs here

Furthermore I checked here , and found out that ata 5 = ata 66 and ata 6 = ata 100.

And yes all powerbooks beside the one tooki mentioned come with 2.5 drives

aloha

Thanks for clearing it up. all i wanted to know was that ata6=ata100 thanks a lot. I appriciate it. then what would ata133 be

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 12, 2003, 03:57 PM

Yoyoman, did you even read my post above? I answered what you needed to know in GREAT detail, including all the follow-up questions you posted.

look:

ATA-1 through ATA-6 are the formal names for the currently ratified ATA standards.

ATA/33/66/100/133 are informal names for the various speeds of different ATA buses. (Often these are used when faster buses were installed on a drive or motherboard before the actual standard was ratified! Such is the case with ATA/133, which has not yet been ratified into ATA-7.)

ATA-6 (ATA/100) notebook drives exist, but the same truth applies to them as on desktops: no drive in existance is fast enough to singlehandedly saturate an ATA/66 bus, much less an ATA/100 or ATA/133 bus.

tooki

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 04:57 PM

Yoyoman, did you even read my post above? I answered what you needed to know in GREAT detail, including all the follow-up questions you posted.

look:
I don't know if this would be the place to post this or not... but I guess since the original poster's question has been answered...

I had a dream about you the other night. Nothing special, but I dreamed you lived in San Diego. I woke up and checked MacNN only to find out you don't. But there you have it.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I don't know if this would be the place to post this or not... but I guess since the original poster's question has been answered...

I had a dream about you the other night. Nothing special, but I dreamed you lived in San Diego. I woke up and checked MacNN only to find out you don't. But there you have it.
I do live in sd y. Iv been to chico for yoyo compatation. The new hd from hitachi 7200 rpm is it out yet. http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr7k60.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules