Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SS Studio Pro

SS Studio Pro (Page 9)
zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2003, 06:10 PM

4th for black text.

Z

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2003, 07:07 PM

Aye, the gray text was the only thing that caught me as a bit off. Black text would be easier to read, IMO. Beautiful theme, Swiz.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 10, 2003, 07:49 PM

Ok, sounds good to me, black text it is. I will post the update by 10pm EST with the other bug fixes also.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 07:55 PM

this is a GREAT theme, definitive.
still, made black translucent menus for myself (thanx mrtew and swiz)

i wanted to put in the black menu extras from max's brushed theme...how do i do that? (besides copying the folder to the sspro folder...)

thanx!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
this is a GREAT theme, definitive.
still, made black translucent menus for myself (thanx mrtew and swiz)

i wanted to put in the black menu extras from max's brushed theme...how do i do that? (besides copying the folder to the sspro folder...)

thanx!
... also open the themescript in textedit and add any lines that refer to changing the menu items.
Who'sDaMac?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
... also open the themescript in textedit and add any lines that refer to changing the menu items.

scary...not sure what i am doing (yet )

copied the black menu extras text from the brushed theme, pasted it into the maintheme text, logged out, back in, and...voila!

viva la forum!

(now i just have to remember all the customizations when swiz updates sspro tonite... )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2003, 12:58 AM

And with the black text, it's my new theme. Beautiful job, dude.

MetalArtist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 01:37 AM

i dont know if this is a problem with themese i general or with dragthing, but ive noticed most of the time, dragthing is never altered when i apply a theme. Its kinda frustrating to be wearing you cool ass theme, and have my vertical dragthing tabs be that bright aqua blue..

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 11, 2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by MetalArtist:
i dont know if this is a problem with themese i general or with dragthing, but ive noticed most of the time, dragthing is never altered when i apply a theme. Its kinda frustrating to be wearing you cool ass theme, and have my vertical dragthing tabs be that bright aqua blue..
Thats my bad, I'll be fixing that.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 10:42 AM

so has this been updated??
(scroll bar fix, etc)

no pressure (... )

just checking

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 10:57 AM

Well, he did change the text to black, so I guess he did change everything else. Sorry to presume if I am wrong.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 02:01 PM

The menus are indeed black, but it seems like the small scrollbar bug is still there...?

Aww, doesn't matter, since the only time I see that is in iChat, and I just stretched my Buddy list nice and big.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 02:16 PM

scrollbar bug is still there...

but a great theme, so...worth waiting for the fixes..

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 12, 2003, 08:48 PM

Yeah, Im not too sure about the scrollbar bug now. It is working as intended in Cocoa apps but in the Finder where it is most regularly noticeable it is not working so I will be still trying to squash it until I do get it squashed. you'll be the first to know .

wreks
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 12:45 PM

not sure if you noticed (or already fixed) this, if not:

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 08:40 PM

swiz - Are you considering adding in revised menu extras in Studio's final release? (It's easy enough to modify them by "stealing" them from another theme, but it would be nice if Studio Pro came with it )

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 15, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
swiz - Are you considering adding in revised menu extras in Studio's final release? (It's easy enough to modify them by "stealing" them from another theme, but it would be nice if Studio Pro came with it )
Yes I am, Im currently working on this simultaneously with the Safari skin and testing my new development template which has some nice bells and whistles.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 07:48 PM

i REALLY like this theme...but the scrollbar thing is killing me; i get it in column view windows, in toast, reason...

have to scroll, watch the scrollbar move back; sorta have to move in starts & stops, not productive...

hope u can figure this one out!

looks great everywhere else...

but time to go to another theme for now.

are others having this problem??

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2003, 07:06 PM

The swiz variation got a bit too dark I think... I like very dark, or very bright most of the time. I don't like the square buttons and scroll bars that much. It's very well crafted, but it all comes down to taste in the end. I'm stcking with TuXedo until the next big theme.
click one

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:05 AM

I think your variation is better than apples, and that's saying a lot, cause I really like Apples.

I love the scroll widgets, man. This is great stuff.

Most needed improvment in aqua is the whole scrolling system.

Thanks for the hours and hours of hard work.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:10 AM

swiz: SS Studio Pro Swiz Style. My current and favorite theme. Thanks again Kevin.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 12:37 AM

Hi swiz any updates to ss studio pro? Hows the skin for safari coming along?

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 22, 2003, 09:20 AM

The Safari skin is done, it has been for a few days, Ive just been too busy to package it up and post it. I will later today though I promise. Im gonna tackle the scrolling bug one more time too and see if I can fix it. Thanks for the positive responses everyone .

Sean2068
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 12:11 PM

So many great theme makers out there its a shame Apple is'nt providing proper support.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 01:12 AM

I will later today though I promise.
Any link yet? I'm dying to update my Safari Skin cause this blue Aqua is killin me.

Mac Guru

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 23, 2003, 03:56 PM

Sorry, its on there now. I was busy yet again yesterday.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 05:43 PM

Heh heh, now that you've put it up, Apple releases a new version of Safari, and non of us can use it until SafarIcon is updated. Oh well, the guy who makes SafarIcon is good at quickly updating it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 06:07 PM

Really nice swiz! I like it. I'll post a screen latter maybe.
click one

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 06:36 PM

or you can just drop the images into the application's resource folder and ignore the lack of safaricon updates..

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 06:56 PM

SafariIcon works fine, though it does give you one error message, but it seems to apply just fine.
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 23, 2003, 08:38 PM

Well what do you folks think of this?

I have a new version of Studio Pro which when applied will automatically make Safari "Studio Pro-ed" as well. The only catch is that you have to have Safari in your applications folder, not in any subfolders. Shall I post it?

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Well what do you folks think of this?

I have a new version of Studio Pro which when applied will automatically make Safari "Studio Pro-ed" as well. The only catch is that you have to have Safari in your applications folder, not in any subfolders. Shall I post it?
Sounds good. However, After using your Themepark tempelate the Auto fill buttons doesn't get applied right. May be it's just me.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 09:08 PM

Swiz, could you (pretty please) also make a green version for the progress bar? Also, just my opinion, but I think that both will need to be lightened up... it's just too dark, and doesn't look right against the text.

As always, fantastical job!

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 23, 2003, 09:53 PM

Fluid:
No, it will also do the autofill buttons.

Sage
I do plan to do this but right now I am housesitting. It will be done this week though.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 12:47 PM

No worries. I think you need a break from themeing anyway... you've worked really hard on all of this.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 10:00 PM

just d/l'd the latest version...
looks great. safari, everything.

but i still see the scrollbar thing, jumpy in finder (column view), toast, reason...

will run it for now, but to tell the truth, not sure how long i can handle quirky behavior (unless it's my own... )

oh well.

bugs suck (and are everywhere of course...)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jun 24, 2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
just d/l'd the latest version...
looks great. safari, everything.

but i still see the scrollbar thing, jumpy in finder (column view), toast, reason...

will run it for now, but to tell the truth, not sure how long i can handle quirky behavior (unless it's my own... )

oh well.

bugs suck (and are everywhere of course...)
I know, IM trying my hardest to get this scroll bug fixed as fast as possible. I emailed Max to give me a hand but his .mac account keeps returning the email saying he is over quota. So if you read this Max can you get get me back.?

Lyric OS 13.0
Jun 30, 2003, 08:18 PM

One of the tastiest themes out there... In any variation. Thanks swiz.

Lyric.

wreks
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2003, 01:36 PM

I've been playing with iChatav since it came out and also using SS Studio Pro Apple Style. The drawers in ichat are all screwy:

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 6, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by wreks:
I've been playing with iChatav since it came out and also using SS Studio Pro Apple Style. The drawers in ichat are all screwy:
That is caused because the Metal Gradient is filled with black, it should be the same as the Metal texture. Don't you read Themepark comments, Swiz?

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2003, 01:11 PM

Hey, I'd just like to express my appreciation for this theme. I've been using it for a pretty long time now.
I have to admit at first I didn't like it, but it's grown on me and now I think it's one of the best themes ever.
Thanks, and keep up the good work

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 10:03 AM

has anybody done any mods based on the ss studio pro? i've already gotten ichatAV and Safari SS-pro-ized.

also, what icon sets go well with it? I've tried LiquidityX's graphitized aqua icons, rade8's SnowE2 Graphite and Iconfactory's WOA_Folders combined with WOA CandyBar.
the last one works quite nicely though the set still contains too damn much aqua blue even if you use graphite folder icons...

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by unlinear:
has anybody done any mods based on the ss studio pro? i've already gotten ichatAV and Safari SS-pro-ized.
I've done a little tinkering... I changed the SSSP Safari skin a little bit (I didn't like the disabled buttons, and I remade the progress bar and Google bar).

I've changed the theme so that "Green" has the gray menus (a side benefit of this is that it sets M$ Word and iTunes to the "Graphite" settings, which looks much better with this theme, of course), and I'm using black menuextra replacements ... And I'm using the About box, login panel, and boot panel replacements made by... erm... I *think* digitaljames? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I've also changed the Finder buttons to match the Swiz version (they were based off of the Apple version, so looked a bit displaced).

My next step was to mod iChat, but I seriously lacked the initiative yesterday. I would also like to skin iTunes and Quicktime (at least to get the main window color and the widgets right), but that'll take a lot of time on my part because I've never done it before.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jul 9, 2003, 11:57 AM

Im glad to see that you guys are still using it and building around it. I'd love to do this stuff for you all but Im knee deep in work, wedding plans and studying. I'd love to see what you have come up with though. Please send them to me at swizcore at swizcore dot com.
If they look high quality I'll make them available through the site with credit to the author.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 12:45 PM

iChat takes a while to mod as all of it's resources aren't in one nice place... half of them are buried in the system folder.

Mac Guru

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 02:36 PM

Just out of curiousity, since some here have access to Apple DVD Studio Pro...

what do the play/rewind/stop etc controls look like in that app?

it might be nice to use those in any QT/iTunes mods.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 05:50 PM

hi sage id really love to see your ss mod if its ok with swiz, could ya post a pic.

i love this theme, and i cycle between this one and the panther theme.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 06:53 PM

Well, I'm going to tidy things up a bit and make full-on sets (so far, I've only been touching up the buttons that I use), so just give me a few days. Also, I messed up on one of the states of the Finder buttons, so I have to remake them.

[edit]: BTW, will someone be so kind as to modify the lower brushed metal borders for SSSP? The masking and what not isn't quite right, so there are white lines around the edges (I would do it, but I don't know the first thing about this masking stuff)

[edit2]: Swiz, you have email; unlinear, you have PM.
( Last edited by Sage; Jul 9, 2003 at 07:23 PM. )

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2003, 12:29 AM

ok, I'm inspired now.

I did a rough photoshop mockup of what iTuneSSPro would look like...

and i'm now looking for either

1) info on how to modify itunes... sure as h*ll hope its possible (i didnt take possible things into account since i dont know what the limits are)

or

2) a sucker.. er i mean.. collaborator who can work from a PSD into a iTunes theme..

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 12:44 AM

You know, this is just great... so many people working to make SS Studio Pro the ultimate theme. Kudos!

Anyway, a progress update from me:

I have all of the main Finder icons done-- The back/forward, path, and view buttons (unfortunately, I found out that OS X uses the inactive list view among the active icon and column view buttons when you do a search, so it looks bad, but there's nothing I can do to fix that). The buttons look pretty damn cool among the rest of the theme.

Now, I'm debating whether or not I should bother with the rest of the little Finder buttons... for example, the stop and refresh buttons that you see when doing a search. I'm definitely not doing them tonight, but maybe tomorrow...

Mac Guru, is your mod based off of iChat AV, or the regular iChat? (If it's off of AV, I might consider modifying the regular iChat, since that's what I use).

I was going to volunteer to make the iTunes stuff, but I just had a look through the resources, and it's overwhelming to say the least. Someone with more experience will need to have a bat at it. (Why can't Apple just use the stinkin' Extras resources?!)

Apart from that, I'm not sure what else there is to work on...? I would mod Entourage, but I'm not sure if anybody has found out where the junk is. Other than that, all of the apps that I use will pretty much be in perfect harmony with Studio Pro.

[edit]: Well, one more thing... If I recall correctly, don't the normal Aqua progress bars show up when booting the computer? If that's so (sorry I can't remember... it's been a long, long time since I've reboot ), then could someone fix that somehow?

Forum Links
Forum Rules