Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good Laptop Stand

Good Laptop Stand
macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2003, 04:39 PM

Looking for a good sleek laptop stand.

Any recommendations? For now it has to hold a Thinkpad, but hopefully a Powerbook G5 (one can dream right?). So something big enough to hold a 17 inch Powerbook. But strong enough to hold a brick, or small cinderblock

Mac accessories are just better, quality, and style. I don't want to use CD's, or something stupid as a stand. I want it to look sleek. I like my clean neat looking desk.

Anyone find a nice good laptop stand?

P.S.: Black would be nice too.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 04:44 PM

The iCurve is the best IMO.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2003, 05:13 PM

I picked up an iCurve with my new Ti 15". Keeps it nice and cool, the high fan only comes on when the system load is heavy. The only problem is that the stand isn't real rigid and the laptop bounces up and down a bit when the surface it is on is hit.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2003, 05:21 PM

the podium pad works pretty good and it cost 29.00 with a 10.00 rebate at compusa.

not that pretty but its black and stable.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2003, 05:30 PM

iCurve is wonderful if you use an external keyboard, which it is designed to be used with.
we don't have time to stop for gas

bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 07:15 PM

I use the podium pad. As was said before, it's not sleek and pretty, but it does the job. I have no complaints.

(And actually, from the pictures, I think the icurve, or whatever it's called, would put my laptop up too far. I'm pretty short and I'm quite fussy about how high up my keyboard is as I type!

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2003, 07:36 PM

I use the Roadtools Podium Coolpad and am very happy with it.

It sools down my machine and it comes in a white color.

By the way using the Coolpad with a negative tilt is very comfy when you have a lot to type. On top of all the fact that you can swing the Podium makes sharing your screen for any event easy.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2003, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I don't think I like the iCurve, as it appears to flimsy. My current laptop is a cinderblock (seriously named it cindy). It's a heavy beast.

I was thinking one of these"

(even shown with a thinkpad):
http://targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=PA238U

This one is also interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

But super expensive.

I like the Lapvantage dome as well... but to pricy for what it really is.

For those with the CoolPad...
How high can you elevate the display? I would like to bring my display up a good 5 inches or so.

Thanks for all the responses. really helpful.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2003, 11:45 AM

iCurve is easily the best!

Looks great, is very sturdy, and isn't too complicated. Its simply just a nice stand!

kalonji
Jul 20, 2003, 12:23 PM

i was thinking about getting the icurve because it looks a lot nicer compared with the other stands in the market, but i ended up buying a coolpad instead.

i didn't want to buy an external keyboard and like previous posters have already mentioned, the icurve is simply too high and seems a bit flimsy. i feel the coolpad is perfect because it allows different levels of adjustment and it sits firmly on my desk.

it doesnt have the aesthetics of the icurve but the coolpad doesn't look too bad with my tibook. i suggest getting the white over the black, it looks better IMO.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2003, 04:34 PM

Hey, I'm tired of this flimsy knock on the iCurve. When I first saw it I thought the same thing, I have my TiBook on it and it's not going anywhere. I know people putting 17's on them, and they work just fine. Looks good, works good, and a reasonable price. I think I'll buy another!
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2003, 05:25 PM

I've got the 17" on the iCurve. It's not only sturdy, but looks awesome (you do however, need to get an external keyboard). I'll try to post a pic later.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2003, 06:52 PM

I use the Podium CoolPad over an iCurve--I like to type on the TiBook w/o an external keyboard at times, which the iCurve can't support.

The iCurve might be more attractive, though the truth is I never see the CoolPad, as it is entirely underneath the TiBook, so it makes very little difference to me.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2003, 08:58 PM

The iCurve won't work. I have a 7lbs IBM thinkpad right now.... it's a brick. Believe me and my back Makes me appreciate Apple engineering.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2003, 09:27 PM

I like the Podium pad. Not only does it work on a desktop, but it's great for using the machine on my lap, it keeps my legs from feeling the heat of the machine. The iCurve can't do that. It's also portable, I often take it with me in my laptop bag.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules