Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How often do you switch themes

View Poll Results: Do you get your (gui)kit off regularly
Poll Options:
As often as possible - bring 'em on. 16 votes (26.23%)
Got one or two favs- switch back and forth. 38 votes (62.30%)
Aqua's just fine thanks. 7 votes (11.48%)
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll
How often do you switch themes
benign
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 11:35 AM

Do you switch regularly, occasionally or never?

A) I theme change as often as possible.

B) Only one or two favorites and switch back
and forth between them.

C) Use Apple's Aqua only.

Simple Empire...

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 12:13 PM

I love themes. The ones in my theme folder are for the most part there just for show, unfortunately. I have found that very few are useable for me on a daily basis. I pretty much stick with Max's Brushed theme and switch to Aluminum Alloy and regiaiii once in a while.

I love the dark themes, but find that they are so contrasty with finder windows and application windows though. Shinobi and Neos are great dark themes - especially since the font color fix came out with SS, and Xi-MX7 isn't bad either - but I just like the readability of the more neutral themes.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 12:47 PM

I usually try all the new themes when they are released but
always go back to my four favorites (milk, guipod, fatal and Xi-MX7 )
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 12:58 PM

Depends how good the theme is... the more I like it, the longer I use it. The only one I think I've gone back to after a while is Aluminum Alloy... I used Mac OS XP for quite a while, and I've been using Xi-MX7 since I got that first beta copy... What, Feb 7 I think...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 01:26 PM

I try almost every new theme that comes out, then ether stay on it for a good long time, if I like it, or go back to the favorites. NEOS is #1 right now.
click one

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2004, 02:07 PM

I usually to a few. Titanium7 is my favorite right now. Although I have been using Patcarla's Xi-MX7 for a day or two. I switch all the time, I think.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2004, 03:55 PM

70% of the time I leave it on SmoothStripes (glossy, round, blue). It makes Aqua 110% better. The rest of the time is split farily evenly between the other Max themes, Swiz themes, Izawa and a few others.

mac15
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 05:39 PM

I change themes every 1-2days, at the moment I can't leave Powermetal alone

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 08:21 PM

i switch too damn much... i sometimes switch daily... lol! i enjoy so many of them and hardly ever use aqua due to it's overly candy look within pro apps.... esp in the evening.
i find that i switch a lot in the morning to lighter theme and dark in the evening.

themes used:
aqua pro, aqua slate, brushed, digital device, dsx, good grey, guipod, milk, neos, power metal
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 10:13 PM

If I find a theme I like, I use it for a while usually, but I always end up back with Aqua. Every theme has flaws and I'm too lazy to change them to what I think they ought to be.

I'm currently using AquaPro, I'll probably be using it a while longer; even though it has its own problems most of them aren't major and can be ignored.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by bluevertical:
...aqua slate...
What is this "aqua slate" you speak of... where is it?

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 11:11 PM

It's a theme made by quandarry, he posted a pic of it in the Screenshots thread. I'd guess he probably got the theme backchannel since as far as I know it hasn't ever been made publically available like the rest of q's themes.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2004, 12:34 AM

I switch themes every few weeks or so. The one thing that I change on a daily basis would be the background color for the Finder. I can't seem to decide on a color and stick with it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 01:36 AM

I have been using the same theme (Milk) ever since I switched to Mac in Jag days. Good enough for me until Rhap Ivory comes out.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 02:07 AM

Switch back & forth between Brushed, Aluminum Alloy Toxic and Aqua. When you've been on a theme for awhile, Aqua can be a refreshing change.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 01:39 PM

Switch all the time from Aluminum, Smoothstripes, XP, but my favorite is ProPlastic.

tiredraven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 05:13 PM

I generally stick to one theme for a long time, until such time as I find something else I like more. I'll try other themes that I like the look of, but usually not for longer than a few minutes before switching back to whatever my default is at the time. I'm currently using Neos, before that it was Shinobi, and I think I was using SS tuxedo before that. I'm a big fan of dark themes, and have been since the days of Kaleidoscope (mmmm, Ink).

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 06:15 PM

I usually stick to either Aqua Extreme or FatalE, and occasionally Aluminum Alloy. Lately, however, I've been using Milk alot, especially the Chocolate variant.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:51 PM

I keep around 10 themes in my theme folder but most of them are there just to impress my PC friends . I used to use Kevin Macleod's Pro Plastic for a while, although it seems like hes stopped upgrading it. Now, however, I use Chocolate Milk. Changing themes again would be a lot of work for me as I have a lot of theme-specific extras and customizations on. For instance, Adium, MenuMeters, Safari, iChat, system icons, application icons, the works. Im too lazy to go and change all that stuff too .

[Edit: smilies ]

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Forum Links
Forum Rules