Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > XOSX (eX - O - S - Ten) theme

XOSX (eX - O - S - Ten) theme (Page 2)
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by cube3:
if MS had true designers on board, they might have done something like what dace is doing...
If history has proven anything, it's that Microsoft should NOT be doing UI design in-house They have dozens of outside interface guys they use (myself included), but they seem to keep the really high-profile stuff to themselves (which is why default skins and theme for MS products are so damned ugly). Xbox.com is a good example of neglected opportunity... I did a great mockup for them but they never used it But to be honest the way it is now is still 1000 times better than what it started out as (man was it freaking ugly)... it's just not very Xbox, they've really wandered off the map from the original identity and watered it down pretty bad in the process.

If you want a good example of how sad MS' in-house UI design is (in addition to the thousand-and-one more obvious examples), just look at the download progress indicator in Xbox Live... ick, how pathetic is that? Is it supposed to be futuristic? It looks like a Trivial Pursuit pie rendered with crayons.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
XBOX ROCKS!!!!

I do like the WindowsMedia player though for the most part
That was designed by my friend Dave Parise for The SkinsFactory... the guy who did TouchScreen and Spincycle for Audion.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
If you want a good example of how sad MS' in-house UI design is (in addition to the thousand-and-one more obvious examples), just look at the download progress indicator in Xbox Live... ick, how pathetic is that? Is it supposed to be futuristic? It looks like a Trivial Pursuit pie rendered with crayons.
Very true. The Xbox's dashboard is very cool though.
click one

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
And then in the other hand is www.nintendogamecube.com with a very nice and clean site, but then again the GameCube console design is much better too, and the games also are superior...anyway, i think i'm getting way off topic.
Nintendo has better online design for sure, and the gamecube itself is a much nicer looking unit than Xbox... but saying the games are superior is fanboy talk. I've been a huge Nintendo guy for years but I'm sad to say I just got rid of my Cube. This generation's games weren't up to par with even the 64's offerings for the most part. Metroid Prime was one of the best games I've ever played, Eternal Darkness was very cool, Pikmin was addictive, RogueSquadron is still the best StarWars dogfight game... BUT: Zelda was slightly disappointing (very repetitive compared to previous adventures), DinosaurPlanet would have been 1000 times better without the horrible StarFox characters slapped on it, and for the most part the good games have been too short, delayed too long and way too few and far between. Nintendo's controllers blew chunks this time out as well (too cheap-feeling, small/pointy/unconfortable, the cords are waaaaay too short). Memory units are a pain in the ass and no online play is a huge shortcoming - split-screen multiplayer just does not cut it in the 21st century.

Xbox has had some absolutely amazing games (certainly more great games all told than the Cube), has multiplayer online (and you have no idea how cool this is until you've spilled out on the couch on a Sunday night trashing 6 of your friends across the country), the hard-drive (and all that goes with it like downloadable content, vast storage of game files, ripped music for custom soundtracks), waaaay better controllers (nice heft, rubbery analogue sticks, long cords), better graphics, faster load times, better sound, etc etc.

Yeah it's made by Microsoft, but it's still the best console this generation by far. The Cube is better than the PS2 powerwise, but it's noticably weaker than the Xbox.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 09:11 PM

I've got all the console, solves my problem with having to prove my console is better than yours, and there's no limit to the games I can own. I've found my self to be an Xbox fanboy even though I've got all of them, even the GameBoy SP, Sega; Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis + 32X and CD (Sega fanboy).
click one

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 09:21 PM

I wish I had an xbox, and a pony...

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 09:26 PM

If history has proven anything, it's that Microsoft should NOT be doing UI design in-house They have dozens of outside interface guys they use (myself included), but they seem to keep the really high-profile stuff to themselves (which is why default skins and theme for MS products are so damned ugly). Xbox.com is a good example of neglected opportunity... I did a great mockup for them but they never used it But to be honest the way it is now is still 1000 times better than what it started out as (man was it freaking ugly)... it's just not very Xbox, they've really wandered off the map from the original identity and watered it down pretty bad in the process.

I cry daily when I see the green and blue xp interface, I got to the point that I changed it to classic because anything was better then that whole xp starter setup. Much of their UI highlights how important it is to keep your technies in the server room or basement and beat them close to death if they ever, ever touch photoshop...if one of them has a copy of paint shop pro on their machine, they deserve to be hung by the genies from the famous MS coke machine.

There are some people that make some really fantastic skins for MS products, you would think with all that Redmond Capital they invest in a really good asset, a decent designer. I marvel at their incompetence in this regard.

quandarry
Mar 8, 2004, 11:06 PM

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

quandarry: Cool, but too green as BBX and I were saying.I'm not a huge fan of bright green and it doesn't have the Xbox feel to it.
click one

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:47 PM

Wow quandarry, that looks almost like an exact copy of my theme. I made the theme mostly green because at that time ShapeShifter didn't exist and black themes weren't very usable.

But the mockup I submitted to Macthemes is a revised version of this theme and in that mockup I did use more black than green, since now black themes are more possible with SS. You'll have to wait until march 30 to see the mocup, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

PS How odd and mysterious a coincidence that someone dug this thread out of the thread graveyard

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 9, 2004, 06:01 AM

[snip]
Xbox has had some absolutely amazing games (certainly more great games all told than the Cube), has multiplayer online (and you have no idea how cool this is until you've spilled out on the couch on a Sunday night trashing 6 of your friends across the country), the hard-drive (and all that goes with it like downloadable content, vast storage of game files, ripped music for custom soundtracks), waaaay better controllers (nice heft, rubbery analogue sticks, long cords), better graphics, faster load times, better sound, etc etc.

Yeah it's made by Microsoft, but it's still the best console this generation by far. The Cube is better than the PS2 powerwise, but it's noticably weaker than the Xbox.
I have to agree with you. But the Xbox is really great if you install a modchip and a larger hd. I have an aladdin modchip and a 120 gb harddrvie in mine, and I can put games right on the harddrive and stream movies from my mac using Xbox Media Center, and it's just fantastic..! You can even get 5.1 sound from (divx) movies which is just wicked.
I have not yet tried online gaming, but we plan to buy the whole kit once halo 2 comes out..!
At first I did not like that the xbox was made by M$, but it was simply the best choice for me.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 07:16 AM

I love the idea of an Xbox theme (I'm an Xbox whore, go figure), but I did prefer the first set of widgets in the slash style personally... they may have been too large to pull off in Panther but reduced they'd be really cool. NS had a point though - when we developed the guidelines and identity for Xbox the idea was that the black should always dominate and green be the fire or power revealed sparingly. Unfortunately nobody follows guidelines - Xboxdom is swimming in way too much green... the green seems to have more impact when it's used sparingly. My 2�
Are the complete guidelines available for the public anywhere? It would be cool to attempt to make a mockup based on them.

Originally posted by bOOzo:
But the Xbox is really great if you install a modchip and a larger hd. I have an aladdin modchip and a 120 gb harddrvie in mine, and I can put games right on the harddrive and stream movies from my mac using Xbox Media Center, and it's just fantastic..! You can even get 5.1 sound from (divx) movies which is just wicked.
I'm with you. Xbox Media Center (Well Xbox Media Player at that time) was the reason I bought my Xbox in the first place. Being able to play games is just an added bonus.
( Last edited by Cerbero; Mar 9, 2004 at 07:23 AM. )

mac15
Senior User
Mar 9, 2004, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
PS How odd and mysterious a coincidence that someone dug this thread out of the thread graveyard
Came up on a random search for another old theme, thought I'd poke you with a stick to see whats happening with it

voo
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 08:58 AM

The green looks really heavy, almost having Matrix flashbacks with all that green. Perhaps grey would suit it better as the Windows version looks rather snazzy with the grey back which looks more soothing for everyday use.

http://skins4.wincustomize.com/TheSk...wb/wb-xbox.jpg

Seem's as if people go wild with the glass with these green themes

http://skins4.wincustomize.com/AquaJ...eXP_WB1024.jpg

If history has proven anything, it's that Microsoft should NOT be doing UI design in-house They have dozens of outside interface guys they use (myself included), but they seem to keep the really high-profile stuff to themselves (which is why default skins and theme for MS products are so damned ugly).
heh that is true, look how bad Longhorn looks for their UI recently, Slate is alright but its just as cheesy as Luna.
Shame about high-profile stuff, but from the sounds of that I'll bet its slick dark plastic similar to actual Xbox case with all the insets, if not almost like that sexy Xbox hero guy.

The new grey Xbox site would certainly turn out as a good UI, clean and sharp but style. Xbox black shell could certainly make a interesting UI but I guess it's just having a good eye for it's layout.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
And then in the other hand is www.nintendogamecube.com with a very nice and clean site, but then again the GameCube console design is much better too, and the games also are superior...anyway, i think i'm getting way off topic.
Yes, figure a GC theme, the semaphore would be the gamepad ports !!! so funny !!!

Anyone?

mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 04:04 PM

I like the idea of an Xbox theme - some of those Windows themes based off of Xbox look pretty slick - however I don't like seeing the XBOX or even XOSX tag everywhere - its ugly and detracting from the style. Other than that, just echoing what other people said, keep it mainly black and grey with green as the highlight.

Oh, and I'd love to see a PS2 theme, and if you have some time left over after that one, a GameCube one.

Keep up the good work.

optimus_prime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 05:47 PM

love the xbox, love the xbox theme so far hopefully youll see it thru. it would be cool to toggle the two colors from the mostly green with black to the mostly black with green. i even dig the x where the apple menu would be / but it be cool to choose that too.

hopefully youll get it finished love to try it out...

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 03:39 PM

Played around for a bit and came up with this:

The window widgets light up like that for active windows, the inactive states are just the grey buttons.
I realize the base window is similar to NeOS, but it's just an idea.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 03:44 PM

Whoa, sexy! Very different from what's been tried so far, but I like it! It's a bit too subtle for what the XBox really looks like, but this is very promising all the same.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 03:55 PM

Not a bad start. You'll need a more black color though if you want the Xbox look.
click one

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 04:20 PM

not much about that says XBox to me, but that's fine because I love it anyway and I'm not a huge fan of the XBox's look.
DigitalRamen sucks.

mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 05:22 PM

looks very nice - however if you rely too heavily on black, and not a mixture of silver and black, this will quickly become a dark theme...

I love dark themes but have yet to see one that's been implemented completely well - usually there's a lot of problems with visibility and contrast, so just make sure to be aware of that, but looking good...can't wait for this one to come out!

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
not much about that says XBox to me
Yeah, basically the only thing 'Xboxy' about it right now are the LED rings arond the widgets. I'm gonna play about with the ribbed elements on the Xbox design though and see if I can incorporate that. I'm also going to try a bit more silver (well, matte silver-painted plastic), for buttons or such.

optimus_prime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 07:24 PM

hope you keep at it. big fan of dark themes / that black with the green looks pretty dope. like the mcdonalds banner at the bottom "im lovin it".

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:

The window widgets light up like that for active windows, the inactive states are just the grey buttons.
I realize the base window is similar to NeOS, but it's just an idea.
NICE!

This looks much more like an actual xbox unit than the previous designs, and more usable IMHO. Having bright green as the base color just made my eyes bleed. This dark grey design is much better. Keep working on it. Make the lights around the widgets a bit brighter, and add more green LED lights for the other widgets. Perhaps some subtle "X" shapes, like on the top of the xbox itself.

Keep it up.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 07:03 AM

Looks cool, and you might not have the problems of XP themers ripping it off because you can hardly see any detail at all here on my XP box in work.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 08:30 AM

Hey, I like it. Very slick.
Cerbero you're really good with mockups.
I still remember when you came up with the powermetal one. That still is one of my favorite mockup
I really hope that you're going to particitpate to the macthemes contest..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 10:49 PM

Here is what I am submitting to the Macthemes.net theme mock-up contest:

What do you think?

Jaos
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 10:54 PM

All I can say is WOW

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 11:03 PM

Ahh stop ruining the fun

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

kingskel
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 11:07 PM

/- I would pay for that theme. I wish the finder sidebar and backgrounds were automatically changed though, as the white really clashes with dark themes. SS? Soon? Maybe? Please? In the meantime, Milk rocks my iMac and iBook. -/

<i>ks</i>

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Ahh stop ruining the fun
Sorry

But better I get some attention now before it goes unnoticed among all the other better theme mock-ups Even now my thread got hijacked by a half-done mockup that is none the less getting more attention than my complete mock-up.

mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 02:51 AM

yes - your thread got hijacked

hate to sound harsh, but most of the people showing enthusiasm in here were doing so because that first mockup you made looked GOOD as a theme, not because they are xbox lovers

the full mockup you submitted is very true to the xbox - if i liked bright alien green so bright it burns my eyeballs, i would love it - however, its just not something i could see myself wanting/using on a day to day basis

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 11:40 AM

listen, cerebro your theme is great it doesn't need to be xboxy it can be its own its just cooll i finaly have something to go with my matrix icons if u finish that.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
listen, cerebro your theme is great it doesn't need to be xboxy it can be its own its just cooll i finaly have something to go with my matrix icons if u finish that.
I'd love to see cerebro's theme being made.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
I'd love to see cerebro's theme being made.
Same here, I found the theme not being a xbox theme, just a very nice theme, that is, xbox does not look that cool!, finally you can give it a minimalist look mading variations just changing the color that surrounds the semaphore. That is, simple variation produces a great 'hey, look that guy, what a great idea it has applying color to the semaphore edges.

Go for it dude!, but remember, it is not necessarily a xbox theme, it is just your "Nice Dark Theme that Just Works"

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2004, 05:31 PM

Unfortunately I don't have time to make a theme right now. It's the last semester of the last year of school for me, so I have a lot going on related to that. Maybe in the summer or something
I'm glad to hear you guys like it though, thanks

macgeekjay
Apr 9, 2004, 07:50 PM

Unfortunately I don't have time to make a theme right now. It's the last semester of the last year of school for me, so I have a lot going on related to that. Maybe in the summer or something
I'm glad to hear you guys like it though, thanks
I know, I know.....

What if I helped start up a fund!? It's so simple and elegant. Screw the xBox this is one sweet theme! Add a simple, transparent menu and I'll start the fund with $25!!!

:-D

Please!?

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
Hey Kid Red, have U played Halo on the Xbox... ??

Try seeing things for what they are and not where they come from. Well.. youy loss not mine.
If you want Halo use EYLO. Personally this theme is a little too greenish for me.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

macgeekjay
Apr 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

I played around a bit with your mock-up. I'm not too interested in making an XBox theme... just a dark gray theme that's not too obtrusive.

I have no idea how to make themes, though.

:-P

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by macgeekjay:
I'm not too interested in making an XBox theme... just a dark gray theme that's not too obtrusive.
Then go start your own thread

macgeekjay
Apr 10, 2004, 09:11 PM

I did.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 12:16 PM

Hey cerbo, i know a guy who startedto work on an xbox themes he good with theme, if u send me an image of the mockup i can send it to him for a start, he made graptunes

Forum Links
Forum Rules