Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Some hacks for iTunes

Some hacks for iTunes
clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 08:45 PM

After reading Izawa's artical on modding quicktime I spent some time playing with iTunes, here are my results so far:

the level indicators can be changed by playing with the hex arround offset 0037Fc20
line 00375c10 controls the background
line 00375c20 controls the actual levels colors

the background for the songs can be changed at offset 003D4C00
the vertical bars which sperate collumns are at 003C4F30

and finally a picture:

always remember to backup

--will

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 09:18 PM

Interesting..However I think the most wanted iTunes hacks are fixing the background problem and changing the highlight color (for songs in a playlist) from blue to something else.

solidfox
Apr 24, 2004, 09:26 PM

Now...if you show me that iTunes with an all white background...I'll be...yeah...I'll be happy...really happy...

clam2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 09:27 PM

ok, i've figured out the selection stuff
selected background: 003D4BE0
selected Text: 003b3010

(the selected text is for both the source pane, and the playlist pane, the selected background is just for the playlist pane)

--will

Edit:
oops, the bottom pixel of the selected background is seperate, and is at 003D4C10
( Last edited by clam2000; Apr 24, 2004 at 10:20 PM. )

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
Interesting..However I think the most wanted iTunes hacks are fixing the background problem and changing the highlight color (for songs in a playlist) from blue to something else.
Not for me!....

Having switched to Shinobi since it's update last week, and falling in love with Takashi's beautiful iTunes mod, I've been desperate for a hack that will let me change the levels background. Whilst reading the thread on Takashi's Quicktime/iTunes modding technique, I wondered whether the song list background could be changed also. Looks like my question has been answered.

However, I am having trouble doing the mod myself. I am a little unsure how to use HexEditor, and when I try to save it says "Cannot save this document" or something to that effect. Can someone post a basic tutorial on how to do this mod? Babelfish's garbled translation of Takashi's notes are hard to understand. Thanks in advance.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

clam2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 09:46 PM

the color offsets for the whitish bevel line arround all of the lists are
003d4bd0, 003d4bc0, and 003d4be0
(a total of 6 colors are defined i belive)

to make the changes
1) open the digital color meter, select rgb as 16bit hex value
2) figure out the hex that is there, and the hex that you want
3) make sure you have write permissions on the itunes binary
4) open in hex edit, and choose the menu "Find"->"Go To Address"
5) type in the addresses in this thread, somewhere on that line there will be a 12 character hex thing that looks reasonable
6) save
7) relaunch itunes

--will

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by clam2000:
ok, i've figured out the selection stuff
selected background: 003D4BE0
selected Text: 003b3010

(the selected text is for both the source pane, and the playlist pane, the selected background is just for the playlist pane)

--will
Awesome! That is something that really needs to be incorporated into Themepark/Shapeshifter. That'd be great for stuff like the Aluminum Alloy variations (although not for me, since I always use Cryogenic for consistency with things like that ).

PS-I love previewing posts because I now see you're discovering more and more things with your most recent post. Keep going! This stuff is all great. Even though like solidfox said, I think being able to have a completely white (or black, for my purposes) is something that needs a solution (not that I'm trying to pin that on you clam..but if you could...).

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2004, 10:21 PM

to make the changes
1) open the digital color meter, select rgb as 16bit hex value
2) figure out the hex that is there, and the hex that you want
3) make sure you have write permissions on the itunes binary
4) open in hex edit, and choose the menu "Find"->"Go To Address"
5) type in the addresses in this thread, somewhere on that line there will be a 12 character hex thing that looks reasonable
6) save
7) relaunch itunes

--will
Excellent! Thanks a lot. My iTunes looks great now. I was having trouble because I was using "Hex Editor" and not "HexEdit" by the way!
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2004, 10:51 PM

wow, nice work. looking forward to seeing this incorporated into ThemePark/ShapeShifter .
DigitalRamen sucks.

clam2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 11:15 PM

to see what i've changed download these diff's

unzip the folder, then open a terminal and type (or copy):
patch -e /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes ~/Desktop/Diffs/shinobi.diff
and to revert back
patch -e /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes ~/Desktop/Diffs/shinobi.diff

Note: backup your copy of itunes before doing this!
if your version is different this will fail and do bad things (probably make it unrunnable)

i'll try to make a black version next.

--will

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 02:09 AM

Sweet...

Wonder why this was not done earlier.

-Owl

JoE950
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 06:10 AM

that looks great, does opacity work as well

mac15
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 07:13 AM

if only such things were made easier in themepark oi Jason

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 25, 2004, 11:11 AM

Very nice! I hope Jason could implement this into TP/SS, and figure out a way to change the background and etched text.. That would be fantastic..
I think most people don't want to edit the app like this.

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 06:44 PM

This is very, very nice!

I'll definitely be attempting to put this into TP/SS.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2004, 02:05 AM

to see what i've changed download these diff's
I can't seem to get this to work.

I've changed most of it myself anyway. Does anybody know what addresses the backgrounds of the "Genre/Artist/Album browse things" and the "playlist list" are at?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 26, 2004, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
This is very, very nice!

I'll definitely be attempting to put this into TP/SS.
Yay!

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 10:14 AM

Diffs will likely not work. iTunes is now a Mach-O binary. And mach-o binaries require prebinding. Prebinding changes the offset of a lot of things in a file and may make diffs replace the wrong things.

This is also why check summing cannot be used to determine if a file has changed or not on OS X.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 11:23 AM

do all these hacks still work in 4.5?

-Owl

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 11:36 AM

It's taken you guys a while to figure that out. We've had it over at ResEx for about 2 years now (at least), although it's been a while since anyone submitted one, and I don't think we've ever had as good a final product as that one you showed up at the top there.

(For example, I made an iTunes theme with a purple background back in the days of version 2.0.4 for mac os 9... see http://www.resexcellence.com/itunes/...Tunes_01.shtml for what it looked like in case you care)

Unless they've made some drastic modification in the code, it should all work just fine in iTunes 4.5, but the colors will be in different places again.

Now if anyone can just find out how to change the background completely, so that you can make it truly pinstriped...

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 11:52 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, your right, this ain't new...

I wonder why it was over-looked.

-Owl

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 12:54 PM

I'm sure many of you know that itunes has both graphite and aqua resources right? and it picks which ones to use depending on the system setting.

Well, anyway, I'm not sure if this is new, but it turns out that you can add graphite versions of some elements apple didn't bother to put in... basically, for example, the buttons along the bottom of the itunes window don't use graphite (equalizer, shuffle, etc.), but you can add your own graphite versions that will! and they won't stay graphite when you change your computer to use aqua.

the trick is to add 2000 to the ID number of the graphite PICT resource For example, the aqua equalizer button is ID 429, and so if you make your own graphite, give it ID 2429. I only did a couple of them, like the source selection, and the equalizer button, but I'm pretty sure you can do lots more...

Also, one more thing, iTunes 4.5 has some PICT resources that are similar to the ones used in the source column of the itunes window, except that they are 128 by 128 (I think). Does anyone know what they're for?

rupertz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2004, 08:59 PM

Does anyone know if this still works in itunes 4.5?

thanks!

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2004, 10:10 PM

I'm pretty sure they moved all the hex addresses round. I was only doing this stuff last week and I can't remember! check out Takashi's site. His update seems to back up my recollection. You can still do this stuff but the addresses have changed. Takashi has listed them all here:

http://izappy.web.infoseek.co.jp/

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 08:17 AM

I only speak enough BabelFishish to get by, but I think Takashi says something about the backgrounds of the playlist and browse panes being modifiable via the Localized.rsrc. I had a good look round this file (in ThemePark obviously), but could not see the part he refers to: "Txtr 9004 List Header". Anybody had any luck with this?

Here's Takashi's link again http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...x.htm&lp=ja_en

Thanks.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
I only speak enough BabelFishish to get by, but I think Takashi says something about the backgrounds of the playlist and browse panes being modifiable via the Localized.rsrc. I had a good look round this file (in ThemePark obviously), but could not see the part he refers to: "Txtr 9004 List Header". Anybody had any luck with this?

Thanks.
I found it but I dont know how to change it so that I can apply it with ShapeShifter, I know it was mentioned on this forum already but I can�t find it at the moment :/

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
I found it but I dont know how to change it so that I can apply it with ShapeShifter, I know it was mentioned on this forum already but I can�t find it at the moment :/
This is not possible in the current SS, they seem to be working on it for future versions though.

-Owl

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 10:38 AM

I'm not worried about applying anything with SS. I've already hacked the s**t out of the Unix Exec anyway. I keep my modded versions of those in a folder inside iTunes with the original and just change them manually. I don't imagine I'll be tempted away from NEOS any time soon either, so I'm not bothered about ease of switching.

What I am bothered about is the consistency of my current GUI, which is currently being undermined by the stark white of the "Playlist" and "Browse" panes of iTunes. I just want to know where the little peice of code is that tells them to be this colour, and change it. MetalSnake - You said you found it. Care to share where?

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
MetalSnake - You said you found it. Care to share where?

Well you have to use a RedEdit like app, for example Resorcerer, open the Localized,rsrc file with that app then choose Txtr and then 9004 "List Header"

I checked some more of the resources, 9002 and 9003 are the Text Colour of Songs and Playlists (9002 for small and 9003 for large), but I wasn�t able to find what 13000, 600, 504 and 4000 are doing, didn�t check the others.

vizorg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 11:43 AM

hey ya all,
ive tried my luck at themepark and other theme creating programs but have had no luck. i was wondering if its possible for someone to send me the itunes.rsrc file of the above skin displayed. (if thats possible) im running itunes 4.5.

my email is:

[email protected]

any response would be great

spambot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 08:04 PM

still in itunes 4.2, a couple more and a couple elaborations of ones clam mentioned
[if it is in fact possible that offsets are changed by prebinding, reality check with the digital color meter that the hex your are about to change is actually what you think it is. while some of clam's offsets worked exactly for me, some did not. in particular my selected text color was 8 higher than clam's, and changing clam's offset made my itunes not launch.]

note: most of these hex require itunes be quit and restarted to take effect
3d4be8 selected row background
3c4f40 selected row column divider
3d4c10 selected row underline
3d4bf0 selected row background - inactive
3c4f48 selected row column divider - inactive
3d4c18 selected row underline - inactive
3d4bd8 left frame border (outer line)
3d4be0 right frame border (outer line)
3d4bd0 bottom frame border (outer line)
3d4bc0 frame border inner line (left/right/bottom)
3d4bc8 upper frame border (outer line)

i wasn't unable to find the upper frame border inner line. some of it changes color on its own. eg, the inner line for the browse frame turns my neos blue when i minimize and then remaximize the window. and then goes back to dark grey when i click.

note: these hex can be changed while itunes is running; the display updates on the fly
37fc10 ?? [orig d6d6d8d8fbfb]
37fc18 'cage' around multichannel analyzer display [d6d6d8d8bfbf]
37fc20 'live' display elements (bars) [161616161414]
37fc28 'floating' display element (recent max value for the channel) [161616161414]
37fc30 inactive elements [c4c4c8c8b0b0]
37fc38 background inside 'cage' [d6d6d6d6bfbf]
37fc40 ?? [d6d6d8d8bfbf]
clam, did fc10 and fc40 define for you the background of the 'lcd' outside the multichannel analyzer's cage? they don't seem to do anything for me, but are the only other instances of d6d6d8d8fbfb in itunes. did you have to log out?

3d4c20 etched text effect color [original e8e8 e8e8 e8e8] Note: this only changes the text drawn on the brushed metal windows, not the "Source", "Genre", etc. put another way, it only changes the text that does not 'grey out' when itunes becomes inactive. works for itunes main window and the eq.

whew. guess i won't be installing itunes 4.5 any time soon lol

rupertz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 08:10 PM

thanks for this info! So none of these work in iTunes 4.5?

clam2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 08:26 PM

The outside of my lcd cage-thingy was from my shapeshifer theme, not from any hacks

and yes, all of these are also in 4.5, but at different spots... you use the same process to find them, and my iTunes 4.5 looks pretty much the same as my 4.2 did.

--will

rupertz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 09:28 PM

OK, here is what I'm doing. Using Hexedit I'm opening up the iTunes resource file, iTunes>Content>MacOS>iTunes

I then try to search for the string people have entered above by using the find feature but get nothing. Should I search for 3d4be8? or something else? And what part of the code do I change?

thanks!

spambot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 09:45 PM

The outside of my lcd cage-thingy was from my shapeshifer theme, not from any hacks
--will
ok thanks
Originally posted by rupertz:
OK, here is what I'm doing. Using Hexedit I'm opening up the iTunes resource file, iTunes>Content>MacOS>iTunes
I then try to search for the string people have entered above by using the find feature but get nothing. Should I search for 3d4be8? or something else? And what part of the code do I change?
thanks!
what we have been posting here are hex offsets (aka 'addresses'. 'offset' essentially means distance from the beginning of the file). so in hexedit go Find>Go to Address..., then enter the string eg '3d4be8' as above, make sure the "hex" radio button is selected, and click go.
the Find>Find command is what you use to search for a hex string in the file. so for instance, to find these offsets, you open digital color meter, set it to 16bit rgb, point to itunes' lcd thingie, and read the values 'd6d6d8d8bfbf.' then in hexedit search for 'd6d6d8d8bfbf0000', and you will find the instances of that string, and can change the color by changing the hex there. you can also see the 'offset' in the file of where the string to change occurs.
hex of colors in apple progs it seems are always rrrrggggbbbb0000, and always start at an offset divisible by 8. and since it really is only 24 bit, not 48 bit, half of each rgb channel is just ignored.

Forum Links
Forum Rules