Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport & Linksys

Airport & Linksys
jimcpherson
Sep 21, 2004, 10:15 PM

Here's my situation. I have DSL modem, a linksys wireless router, an eMac connected to the router via ethernet, and a PowerBook accessing the network using Airport Extreme. This works great. My problem is I have to run a gross phone wire up my stairs to the second floor (no phone jackts up there) and I want to make this phone wire go away. I installed an Airport card into my eMac then moved my DSL modem and linksys router near the phone jack downstairs (thus eliminating the horrendously long wire). Then I tried to access the network wirelessly through both eMac and Powerbook. Didn't work. Both show that they're receiving an airport signal, but nothing loads when I try and go online. I din't change any of the router's configuration settings, and when I type in the IP for the linksys config page it loads (I guess that means it is communicating with the router). I did create a new location on my eMac for my airport connection and entered my wirless password. Any ideas? I'm stuck. (Both computers running 10.3.5)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 01:38 AM

Then I tried to access the network wirelessly through both eMac and Powerbook. Didn't work. Both show that they're receiving an airport signal, but nothing loads when I try and go online. I din't change any of the router's configuration settings, and when I type in the IP for the linksys config page it loads (I guess that means it is communicating with the router). I did create a new location on my eMac for my airport connection and entered my wirless password. Any ideas? I'm stuck. (Both computers running 10.3.5)
Wow... Deja vu with my Friday night a couple of weeks ago. I was ready to throw my iMac through a window. Luckily, a cooler head ultimately prevailed.

For me it was that my MAC address didn't match the one listed in the Linksys configuration page. Make sure these two sets of numbers agree. And I'm a networking novice (putting it kindly), so I can't even tell you where I got my MAC address from, but I'm assuming it was somewhere in the Networking Preference Panel. I'd look for you, but I'm on a beige box @ work right now.

Sidenote... And no flames in case it says this on the box somewhere. I didn't see it. Linksys will not help you if you call their touted 24/7 phone support line. I was being helped by someone and we got cut off. When I called back, I couldn't get the same agent on the phone and the new one told me "we don't support 'Mac OS.'" Even after explaining I was being helped just 2 minutes ago and seemed close to a solution, he wouldn't relent. Ultimately, it was something the first guy muttered about a MAC address which led to my "discovering" that solution sort of on my own.

Good luck jimcpherson.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

jimcpherson  (op)
Sep 22, 2004, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and figure out the MAC address thing tonight. One thing I didn't mention. After I got the Airport card installed in my eMac, and before I moved my modem/router downstairs, I unplugged the ethernet cable from the router. A window popped up saying a new Airport network had been discovered and asked if I wanted to connect. I entered my password and connected. Everything worked as it should. The problem connecting only occured after unplugging modem and router and moving them in downstairs. Once evrything was plugged back in I couldn't get back onto the network via Airport. So I know it works. Something got screwed up after I moved everything downstairs.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 02:07 AM

The problem connecting only occured after unplugging modem and router and moving them in downstairs. Once evrything was plugged back in I couldn't get back onto the network...
My problem, solved by eliminating the MAC address discrepancy, also occurred after disconnecting things to move them. I look forward to hearing whether my solution works for you, as well.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules