Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Preview] LutetiumGUI

[Preview] LutetiumGUI
esXXI
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 09:04 PM

August introduced the Lutetium icon-series..

September delivered the first Volume..

Today unveils next step of the Suite; LutetiumGUI.

- - -

Well two months ago I announced I was working on the Lutetium icon-series.. Just under a month ago I released the first Volume of the said series. Now I'm previewing LutetiumGUI to complete the suite.

I started on implementing LuGUI about three weeks ago, and I've been steadily working on it every day (anyone who reads my blog will have heard heaps about it in fact). I'd guess it's about 50-60% complete, most of what's left are the small and mini states of elements, misc-elements and application skins (I intend the first release to have iChat, iTunes, Safari and QuickTime Player skins). I've given myself the time-limit of until the 1st of November, but I doubt it'll take that long.

I'll be posting an in-depth preview, with more shots, within a few days on my site.

Hope you all enjoy this teaser!

Addition: I'd just like to say I'd appreciate no "Oh, another metal theme," "Another colourless theme" or variations because LuGUI is meant to be a professional, easy-on-the eyes theme. Using a mac for work, for six or seven hours a day means that using bright red or blue themes gets annoying rather quickly. Also, posting "do this, instead of that" comments will get taken on board, but I'm very stubborn and you'll just get the reply 'Yeah, but I'm doing it this way.'

ADDITION: Beta spots are now closed. If you did not receive a reply to your PM or email yet then, I'm sorry, you were too late.. Although I'm already playing with 3/4 mock ups for my next theme, and you'll get early previews and the chance to be first in line to beta test one of them..

To see what LuGUI looks like, you can read the MacThemes Preview (just click this text).
( Last edited by esXXI; Oct 6, 2004 at 12:01 PM. )

ender2002
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 09:08 PM

tight, lika vergin

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 09:10 PM

I love that menubar..

Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 09:12 PM

It looks nice though the menu highlight being dark blue on black might be tough on some people's eyes.

I like the design and the dark menubar contrasting with the windows seems new.

I look forward to seeing the more in depth preview.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 09:21 PM

Really nice.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 09:31 PM

Very very nice. Should fit my powerbook well.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
tight, lika vergin
"looks very toit. Yesh, toit like a toiger. Yesh Yesh Yesh." -Goldmember

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
It looks nice though the menu highlight being dark blue on black might be tough on some people's eyes.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2004, 10:33 PM

Absolutely gorgeous.

The only thing I don't like is the selected menu item. I would prefer it to be gray/white. I don't like dark blues and I don't think it fits well with the rest of the theme.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

haley
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 10:46 PM

Looking very nice and classy.

I actually like the dark blue menu highlight... not too contrasting. Brilliant.

Only thing I'm not too sure about is the Apple menu icon. Just looks too fuzzy or something. I'm looking forward to this theme though! Nice work so far.

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 10:51 PM

Don't listen to these naysayers..The menubar and menus are perfect how they are.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2004, 11:08 PM

i love it AS-IS! awesome job!!! this is definitely a great pro theme. it will possibly be my favorite and most used. i've been waiting for a dark menu bar theme with 'usable' grey windows.
awesome job!
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 11:12 PM

Menubar looks gorgeous! I like the fuzzy apple.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

FB Eye
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 01:25 AM

Is the site down? Can't see the preview nor connect to vanillasoap.com

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 01:39 AM

I for one like the blue, but the selected box in the menubar (the bit around the word view) seems a bit unrefined compared to the rest of the theme. Maybe its just me but it seems a little pixelated... perhaps a limitation of tp/ss.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 02:09 AM

very nice. Only thing i'd change is the close/minimize/maximize buttons, use something more similar to the widgets (a solid widget like the finder window buttons with the close/minimize/maximize info in it that lights up on mouse-over?) but that's just me.

Dave

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 02:23 AM

Very NICE!

esXXI  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by deej5871:
I love that menubar..
Thanks.

Originally posted by Mike S.:

At least someone got that I was trying to make the menubar and windows contrast! All thought showing early-work with my mates they were a bit iffy about the menubar being black, until I showed them a snapshot..

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Absolutely gorgeous.

The only thing I don't like is the selected menu item. I would prefer it to be gray/white. I don't like dark blues and I don't think it fits well with the rest of the theme.
It's meant to tie in with the blue-colour that symbolizes the selected/clicked state of nearly all the UI elements (the only exception is the menubar selected state).

Originally posted by haley:
Looking very nice and classy.

I actually like the dark blue menu highlight... not too contrasting. Brilliant.

Only thing I'm not too sure about is the Apple menu icon. Just looks too fuzzy or something. I'm looking forward to this theme though! Nice work so far.

Thanks! You see lots and lots of menus every day, so I wanted them to be easy on the eye.

Don't listen to these naysayers..The menubar and menus are perfect how they are.
Here thank you, a few testers keep complaining about the fuzzy-Apple.. But most seem to enjoy that. I may darken the menubar text a little though..

Originally posted by bluevertical:
i love it AS-IS! awesome job!!! this is definitely a great pro theme. it will possibly be my favorite and most used. i've been waiting for a dark menu bar theme with 'usable' grey windows.
awesome job!
peace.
bv.
Here, thanks a lot. I'm glad you enjoy.

Originally posted by boy8cookie:
I for one like the blue, but the selected box in the menubar (the bit around the word view) seems a bit unrefined compared to the rest of the theme. Maybe its just me but it seems a little pixelated... perhaps a limitation of tp/ss.

It seems fine to me, I didn't get any complains from testers.. Must be you.

Originally posted by MorphOSX:
very nice. Only thing i'd change is the close/minimize/maximize buttons, use something more similar to the widgets (a solid widget like the finder window buttons with the close/minimize/maximize info in it that lights up on mouse-over?) but that's just me.

Dave
Those buttons are my babies! I can't change them, I think they work too much with the titlebars.. The glyphs do appear on roll-over, but I may need to slightly tweak them ('they're too small!').

Thanks for all the nice comments, if you want to beta-test it so far then PM with your AIM alias (I'd prefer to just give 3-5 people copies).

Seph
Sep 27, 2004, 02:50 AM

Looking great Sexxi

Where is my beta copy, biatch?

since i was beaten senseless by Ji Eun despite the fact that i am busy busy busy, ill get you those questions tomorrow

Join the A.B.S.T. S1 Print Request - Do It.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2004, 02:52 AM

That looks really great. I have a feeling this theme will get quite a bit of use from me. Love the menubar/menus too.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 06:47 AM

Wow! That looks great.

Zilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 07:13 AM

Wonderful theme es babeh, *nothing* needs to be altered, it's perfect the way it is, contrasting Finderbar n' all

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2004, 08:23 AM

Looks really good. The only suggestion I would have would be to skin the iApps (iCal and iPhoto for sure).
The thing that bugs me most about most themes is when I open up iCal to chck my calendar and those Aqua elements are still there.

ambush
Banned
Sep 27, 2004, 09:00 AM

<reversePsychology>DON'T RELEASE IT </reversePsychology>

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 10:26 AM

i think your site is down..

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 10:33 AM

next time this young man gives his opinion, every has to call him a "naysayer," okay?

well the site was down, now its up. it looks good, except for the fuzzy apple cause everything else is so crisp. the menubar selector looks good, but maybe for the best of both worlds a graphite variant of something "easier on the eyes."

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
Edited: You beat me to it.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 11:44 AM

The site worked for me, no other previews yet though. I like the looks of this theme. Can't wait!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 11:58 AM

wow! looks really nice

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2004, 02:47 PM

Make the menu highlight more visible and you are good to go!

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 03:43 PM

Looks nice.

chezpaul
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by boy8cookie:
I for one like the blue, but the selected box in the menubar (the bit around the word view) seems a bit unrefined compared to the rest of the theme.
I second that.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

esXXI  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Zilla:
Wonderful theme es babeh, *nothing* needs to be altered, it's perfect the way it is, contrasting Finderbar n' all
ZILLAAAAH!

Originally posted by Seph:
Looking great Sexxi

Where is my beta copy, biatch?

since i was beaten senseless by Ji Eun despite the fact that i am busy busy busy, ill get you those questions tomorrow
You get your beta when you give meh the questions.

Originally posted by servo:
Looks really good. The only suggestion I would have would be to skin the iApps (iCal and iPhoto for sure).
The thing that bugs me most about most themes is when I open up iCal to chck my calendar and those Aqua elements are still there.
That's why I didn't want to rush a release, I'll try and get as many apps skinned by the first release as possible.

It often goes down sporadically for short durations, never more than 5mins usually.. Can't be helped.. Unless someone's willing to offer me a job so I can pay for better hosting.

next time this young man gives his opinion, every has to call him a "naysayer," okay?

well the site was down, now its up. it looks good, except for the fuzzy apple cause everything else is so crisp. the menubar selector looks good, but maybe for the best of both worlds a graphite variant of something "easier on the eyes."
Sorry but.. I don't understand? A graphite variant of the blue elements? Originally they were all grey/white until I tried them with blue - everyone who say the change agreed it was much better. Adding anymore grey to it makes it all seem too grey.

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by esXXI:
Sorry but.. I don't understand? A graphite variant of the blue elements? Originally they were all grey/white until I tried them with blue - everyone who say the change agreed it was much better. Adding anymore grey to it makes it all seem too grey.
just because its the graphite variant doesn't mean it has to be grey. what i'm saying is just change the graphite variation of the menu selector to something not dark blue, but leave everything else the same as the blue variation so people who have a hard time of seeing the dark blue (cause thats all that looks hard-to-see i guess) can switch to the graphite variation and see something lighter, but all the other elements are the same.

crooner
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
"looks very toit. Yesh, toit like a toiger. Yesh Yesh Yesh." -Goldmember
How bowt a shmoke ana penkake?

As a metal-ish theme lover, I think it's great. Just do your thing and kick ass.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 07:05 PM

Think you took my post a little too seriously... So here:

just because its the graphite variant doesn't mean it has to be grey. what i'm saying is just change the graphite variation of the menu selector to something not dark blue, but leave everything else the same as the blue variation so people who have a hard time of seeing the dark blue (cause thats all that looks hard-to-see i guess) can switch to the graphite variation and see something lighter, but all the other elements are the same.
NAYSAYER!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2004, 12:03 AM

THAT IS WAY TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL! I love it! By far the best looking grey theme and you're just the one who can pull it off. I don't even need to see the rest!

esXXI  (op)
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 03:06 AM

Okay progress report, major stuff first.

Done:
� The Menubar text is now slightly darker, to avoid jaggies/brightness issues a few testers remarked upon.
� The Menus text is now about 30% lighter, and is much more usable. The "unavailable" item colour is the same to keep it readable, but obviously not available.

What's Next:
� There will be a tweaked variant that addresses a few things people have hit upon ("fuzzy" Apple-menu, hard to read titlebar-text, etc).
� I'm going to work my ass off today and try and get a heap of thinks done, this includes; Popup menus (I'm so lazy, I should of had those implemented and finished days ago), Round, Square and Bezel buttons, fix all the bugs so far, small states for as many things as I can be bothered to do today, heavy redoing of the progress bars. Once all those are done, I'll be sending to the testers to let them look for problems in that version (0.8.0).

Once that is done, I'll see about pile-driving through the remaining small/mini states for things over the next week; then begin work on the app skins for the initial release.

Thanks again for all the nice comments..

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by esXXI:
Thanks again for all the nice comments..
You deserve them!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 08:09 AM

esXXI: Thanks for updating us. Looking forward to its release.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 07:29 PM

wow, esXXI, nice work! looking forward to the bigger preview as well... and of course the final release

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 10:33 PM

I WANT! FINISH FINISH FINISH!!!... Please if course...

Holigen
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 10:52 PM

Nicely done so far. No complaints except for the window widgets (maybe make them more consistent with buttons if possible?) and the menus (higher contrast).

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Seph
Oct 1, 2004, 07:15 AM

THought you guys might like this read.

We have interviewed esXXI over at AquaXP.com check it out.

Join the A.B.S.T. S1 Print Request - Do It.

esXXI  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by mugget:
wow, esXXI, nice work! looking forward to the bigger preview as well... and of course the final release
Hehe Phill told/ordered me not to release any more "large" shots, I don't want to get hit for posting multiple previews. *eep*

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
I WANT! FINISH FINISH FINISH!!!... Please if course...
Patience! Today is another Work-On-LuGUI day.

Originally posted by Holigen:
Nicely done so far. No complaints except for the window widgets (maybe make them more consistent with buttons if possible?) and the menus (higher contrast).
The GUIkit comes with two flavours; Regular and CO2. The second is a higher contrast variant with a tweaked menubar, fonts, more apparent titlebar-buttons and such. Sidenote: The menu-fonts are already brighter, and look at lot nicer.

Originally posted by Seph:
THought you guys might like this read.

We have interviewed esXXI over at AquaXP.com check it out.
What a shameless plug!

---

Updates;
� Progress has been really slowed down by the progress bars (how ironic), they don't seem to be allowed to use the alpha channel in carbon apps, and it gets replaced as white in carbon apps. Anyway, I'm on the FOURTH revision of the progress bars, and these should be fine and still keep with the feel. Sorry about the delay.
� I finished a few other misc elements (such as list-headers)..
Current version is: 0.7.8 Revision 12

To anyone that emailed/contacted me to beta test I'll get back to you today, but I won't be shipping out any betas until 0.8.0.

Release date is still around Nov. 1st, as I'll want to cram as many app-skins as I can in.. Oh and I changed the first from the teaser-shot to the poster..
( Last edited by esXXI; Oct 5, 2004 at 05:30 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the update. Man, I'm REALLY looking forward to this baby!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 01:25 PM

Really superb looking. I'd be using the icon set right now, but it's a few icons short of a complete icontainer. I hope the set is finished soon'ish also.
click one

esXXI  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Really superb looking. I'd be using the icon set right now, but it's a few icons short of a complete icontainer. I hope the set is finished soon'ish also.
Hehe I'm redoing the set in a sleeker feel (the Polished Drives are to be used, so think similar). The reworked icon-set is named Lutetium Metem and I'm hoping to release a month after LuGUI's release.. It should be a complete set for OS X (although I'm probably going to get nagged by my Winnie-using friends for extra ones.. D'oh).

You can see a small look that was posted on the AquaXP interview;

silencedge
Oct 5, 2004, 05:36 PM

Hey mate, you're still as meticulous to details as you used to be.

I am sure this will turn out as well you want us to find it so. Keep it up!

esXXI  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 06:45 PM

Cheers Alex. I need to get on MSN more to chat.. =)

And a big sorry to my late PM replies.. I didn't know I had to actively check to see if I had PMs, so didn't notice them.. I'm typing replies right now..!

Forum Links
Forum Rules