Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] ShapeShifter 2.1, Mighty Mouse 1.2

[ANN] ShapeShifter 2.1, Mighty Mouse 1.2
slava
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 02:22 PM

There... Many thanks for your patience and feedback!

ShapeShifter 2.1

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/
http://www.unsanity.net/shapeshifter-21.dmg
  • Compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger".
  • Added a Spotlight metadata importer for guiKit files.
  • Added ability for themes to skin the sidebar in Tiger's Mail.app.
  • Added ability for themes to skin the Dock (Panther and newer only).
  • Pretty new installer.
  • Resolved issues with themes that use custom 'layo' resources.
  • Resolved an issue that made the title of the Apple Menu look odd in themes that use menubar transparency (Tiger only).
  • Added diagnostic logging to assist in troubleshooting installation issues.
  • Resolved an issue that could cause toolbar icons from imported icontainers not to be applied.
  • Resolved an issue that could cause Open/Save Panels to disappear.
  • Resolved an issue that would cause the ShapeShifter prefpane to crash on load if ShapeShifter's cached metadata file became corrupted.
  • Fixed highlighting in the ShapeShifter prefpane for disabled source list items.
  • Resolved grammatical issues with Dutch localization.

Mighty Mouse 1.2

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/mightymouse/
http://www.unsanity.net/mightymouse-12.dmg
  • Updated for Tiger compatibility.
  • Pretty new installer.
  • Mighty Mouse now restores the ability to open cursor sets via double-clicking every time the preference pane is launched.
  • Resolved an issue that would prevent ShapeShifter from applying cursors until at least one cursor had been tested inside of the Mighty Mouse preference pane.
  • Resolved an issue that could prevent cursors from being installed on non-English operating systems.
  • Added a "reset" option to the Mighty Mouse command line tool.
// slava@unsanity

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 02:27 PM

Thank you.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 02:40 PM

sweeeet! 2 things i've been waiting for. now i can install tiger...when i get it, which should be this month.

siMac
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:51 PM

Rock on.

Thanks muchly!

Edit: As expected it seems Apple have been playing silly buggers with the resources - ie. Finder toolbar buttons now use different (but not new) resources and the Safari tab resource has been changed. Still, these are only minor setbacks, and temporary ones at that since we'll be able to fix them with th next version of Themepark.

Thanks again for the hard work guys.
( Last edited by siMac; May 2, 2005 at 03:10 PM. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by slava
There... Many thanks for your patience and feedback!

ShapeShifter 2.1

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/
http://www.unsanity.net/shapeshifter-21.dmg
  • Compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger".
  • Added a Spotlight metadata importer for guiKit files.
  • Added ability for themes to skin the sidebar in Tiger's Mail.app.
  • Added ability for themes to skin the Dock (Panther and newer only).
  • Pretty new installer.
  • Resolved issues with themes that use custom 'layo' resources.
  • Resolved an issue that made the title of the Apple Menu look odd in themes that use menubar transparency (Tiger only).
  • Added diagnostic logging to assist in troubleshooting installation issues.
  • Resolved an issue that could cause toolbar icons from imported icontainers not to be applied.
  • Resolved an issue that could cause Open/Save Panels to disappear.
  • Resolved an issue that would cause the ShapeShifter prefpane to crash on load if ShapeShifter's cached metadata file became corrupted.
  • Fixed highlighting in the ShapeShifter prefpane for disabled source list items.
  • Resolved grammatical issues with Dutch localization.

Mighty Mouse 1.2

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/mightymouse/
http://www.unsanity.net/mightymouse-12.dmg
  • Updated for Tiger compatibility.
  • Pretty new installer.
  • Mighty Mouse now restores the ability to open cursor sets via double-clicking every time the preference pane is launched.
  • Resolved an issue that would prevent ShapeShifter from applying cursors until at least one cursor had been tested inside of the Mighty Mouse preference pane.
  • Resolved an issue that could prevent cursors from being installed on non-English operating systems.
  • Added a "reset" option to the Mighty Mouse command line tool.
cool.

Are there any themes from (10.3) that will work with 10.4?

thanks,

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 03:23 PM

This warms my heart in ways i can't describe.

solidfox
May 2, 2005, 05:39 PM

Wonderful! That's a really quick update!
Really smooth transition as well, almost perfect... can't be all perfect I guess... so why is this happening? (Look at the menubar)

(Click for fullsize screen)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 05:46 PM

I'm liking Tiger better already

smeger
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 05:54 PM

solidfox, you probably need to log out/in to make the Menu Extras server reload. Or check "Restart Menu Extras" in the ShapeShifter prefpane and reapply your theme.

ZX, most 10.3 themes will "just work" on 10.4. The only large change in Tiger themes is to the forward/back/path buttons in Finder's toolbar. They now use a standard widget instead of the customized widget they used to use. As a result, newer, cohesive themes will "just work" as I said, but older themes that didn't theme the standardized widget will use the Aqua widgets.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

solidfox
May 2, 2005, 06:56 PM

No, that's not it. Tried that one. It seems that instead of just drawing the transparent menubar icons on the menubar it draws them as well as a new "tile" of the menubar fill resource, which in my case is about 1018 px wide and begins as shown in the screenshot.

And even more weird; somehow a few pixels of the end / beginning of the fill resource are drawn at the beginning / end of the same... well, I realize it's an all new menubar for Tiger so I'm actually really surprised it works at all.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2005, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by smeger
ZX, most 10.3 themes will "just work" on 10.4. The only large change in Tiger themes is to the forward/back/path buttons in Finder's toolbar. They now use a standard widget instead of the customized widget they used to use. As a result, newer, cohesive themes will "just work" as I said, but older themes that didn't theme the standardized widget will use the Aqua widgets.
Smeger, first of all, congratulations on all Unsanity's Tiger updates - I hope you people don't grow mad. Thanks for making us GUI people happy

Now, what do you mean by "just work" ? Is it like "just work fine period", "just work but not look OK", "just work but desperately need theme update" ?
Perhaps I'd rephrase my question : probably there'll soon be a ThemePark update for Tiger. Will there be clear and straight forward instructions included on what and how to look for when updating themes for Tiger ?

smeger
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:29 AM

solidfox, I'll dig into it. I think I've got a copy of that crazy water theme kicking around somewhere.

Gerrit, by "just work", I mean "just work fine period". Of course, there are exceptions, but generally, everything is cool. I'll enumerate the exceptions, but please don't get a negative impression from them. I considered all of my test themes to be perfectly usable in Tiger. I believe that many themes don't need any updating at all for Tiger compatibility.

The largest issue in using a Panther theme in Tiger is that Apple changed the way the Finder forward/back/path buttons are drawn. In Panther, themers specified a custom image for each state of each of these buttons. In Tiger, the OS draws the button as a standard metal button and overlays the appropriate glyph on top. Most newer themes include customized resources for the standard metal button, so the final result generally is very close to whatever was there in Panther.

Customized Finder sidebar, list view, and column view backgrounds are temporarily disabled in Tiger. They'll be back in a later release - I disabled them because they're bitchy and I wanted to get this release out ASAP.

Address Book application skins are rather neutered at present. Again, they'll be back in a future build.

The biggest issue is seen when mousing over the results of a Spotlight menu extra search. The moused-over result is "sort of" themed and the result is ugly. Again, this is only seen while you're actually in the midst of doing a Spotlight search using the menu extra.

I'm sure there are other minor things here and there. Those are the biggest. And they're not particularly big.

I seem to remember you saying that you wanted to wait to upgrade to Tiger until you could theme it. I suggest you hang out a day or two more and look at people's Tiger screenshots and judge for yourself. I'd hate to accidentally talk you into doing something you aren't happy with.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Adolf W. Bush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 06:35 AM

Installation went as smooth as a woman covered in butter slipping into a wet-suit... painless. Very nice update. Little glitches are to be expected, I think, for pre-Tiger themes.

Looking forward to seeing what people do with this release.

Roll on Themepark.
I see Neocons...

Kate
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 07:49 AM

My custom theme works unaltered out of the box, as does SS2.1 . Well done Jason, you're da man.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2005, 09:48 AM

Smeger,
Your in depth explanation is highly appreciated, in fact I think I'm finally discovering what the word "glyph" stands for
Also thanks for your concern, I will end up Tiger'ing anyway. I am lurking screenshots, but haven't seen any Finder buttons yet�

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 10:58 AM

The themes don't know what to do with a unified look, so they just make it white. Kind of drives me crazy. This is basically the end of the world.

the other semi annoying but not end of the world issue on my iBook i was having..
When I first want to start ShapeShifter I go into APE Manager and enable it. After doing this I hop over to the ShapeShifter part on my System Preferences and it says "ShapeShifter cannot be used because Item is disabled". Now I know a quick reboot can fix this issue for me but in this particular case I was downloading a large file and could not reboot at that very second. As I startted opening more apps, they were themed with the theme I had been using before i turned off ShapeShifter (Although the menu bar on all of them was messed up so I was gonna have to reboot regardless). This isn't a huge issue as after there are themes that look right on tiger to me I'll probably not be turning Shape Shifter on and off but it was a weird bug.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 11:19 AM

When can we expect the Theme Park update that accompanies the SS update?

captphatsidy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 12:35 PM

solidfox, I'll dig into it. I think I've got a copy of that crazy water theme kicking around somewhere.
I really doubt that it's the water theme that is causing it. I am using Milk 3.0 and have the same problem; but the weird thing is, I have Milk 3.0 at work and at home with (I think) the same basic crap running in the background, but it only breaks the menubar at home. My work machine works fine...

huh...

Thanks,
Chris

hihowareyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 03:36 PM

mine broke the menu bar up too, i quit the extras and restarted them since the restart feature in ss doesn't seem to effect 3rd party menues.
that seems to have fixed my problem for the moment.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 03:41 PM

Hmm, does this mean Mizu is getting an update?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

solidfox
May 3, 2005, 05:53 PM

Thanks smeger, I appreciate it! If you can't find the theme, just PM me and I'll be happy to send it too you.

And Randman, yes, if this is not fixed I won't be able to bare having my computer constantly looking like that and I MIGHT just throw in another change or two while I'm at it. There's still no PB G5 from apple tho... Photoshop is still a pain.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:33 PM

"a woman covered in butter slipping into a wet-suit" -- great image!

"Hi I'm Ben", you saw the warning message about SS being deactivated because it was deactivated when System Prefs was initially launched. If you'd launched System Prefs, activated SS in the APE module, and then relaunched system prefs, all would have been groovy. The SS prefpane can't install a theme if the APE module isn't loaded into System Prefs.

Slayer-X, ThemePark update probably within 24 hours.

For those with menu extra issues, menu extras can be tricky. There are two kinds - the ones that you can control-drag use Apple's private unsupported API and are relaunched by ShapeShifter when the checkbox is checked. The rest use a public API, cannot be control-dragged, and are basically little mini-applications. ShapeShifter can't safely relaunch these because they might be doing something important at the time. You need to log out and back in again to get them relaunched properly.

Hmm, but it occurs to me that my Tiger development machine was very "stock". I don't think it had any of the "public" menu extras on it. And looking again at solidfox's shot, it's the non-Apple-supplied ones that are having the issue. Bug filed, will fix.

captphatsidy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 07:06 PM

Hmm, but it occurs to me that my Tiger development machine was very "stock". I don't think it had any of the "public" menu extras on it. And looking again at solidfox's shot, it's the non-Apple-supplied ones that are having the issue. Bug filed, will fix.
You know, I should have thought of this before I posted the last message: My APE isn't updating. I'm running thought the installer and having a successful install (so it seems), but I'll restart and open System Prefs and have v1.4

APE installed fine on my work machine and I have no menu problems there...

Solidfox, did APE upgrade for you?

Thanks,
Chris

Zimphire
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Slayer-X
When can we expect the Theme Park update that accompanies the SS update?
Yeah, this will be needed before more theme updates can show up.

And does anyone else have the SPECIAL version of SS?

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 08:24 PM

Thank you Mr. Smeger

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 09:15 PM

shapeshifter looks good here...my custom theme is working great so far (a few caveats).

but mighty mouse is not working after a restart...any suggestions?
(i tried re-applying cursors...)

edit: hmmm...got it after logging out-in...
( Last edited by fisherKing; May 3, 2005 at 09:21 PM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

denny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 10:22 PM

slowdown??

i've been using fruit menu, xsounds, windowshade, and shapeshifter since each was introduced... i never noticed a slowdown before but since installing tiger and then updating to the new versions of these i'm seeing a delay in app launch times and general interface slowness. opening a finder window results in the spinning beach ball and a 15-20 second delay before i see my home directory. menu dropdowns hesitate... maybe a half second or so... very noticeable. upon deactivation of the haxies all is well. apps launch in half the time and my finder is instantly responsive upon opening a new window.

anyone else experiencing such obvious slow downs?
( Last edited by denny; May 3, 2005 at 10:32 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 10:31 PM

no significant slowdowns here...
installed 10.4 this afternoon, then later...cleardock, instant hijack, shapeshifter, mightymouse.
lotta apes, but seems good!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 06:00 AM

How would one go about changing a current theme so that the theme doesnt try and change the unified title/toolbar look... i love that, and think it would look good in the theme im using. at the moment it just gets replaced and doesnt look too good.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

solidfox
May 4, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by captphatsidy

Solidfox, did APE upgrade for you?

Thanks,
Chris
I installed the APE upgrade before SS 2.1 and it worked fine.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 04:32 PM

my 10.3 theme was doing pretty well in 10.4...until i opened "reason"...
weird visual glitches! tried to add reason to the "exclude" list, but still happening...
??

oh well...

wititw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 05:13 PM

I got the same problem with Reason. Try adding it to "Master Exclude List" from Application Enchancer. It works for me.

Cheers...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by wititw
I got the same problem with Reason. Try adding it to "Master Exclude List" from Application Enchancer. It works for me.

Cheers...
thanx, will try that.
tuff one...want my theme, but, uh, need to work too...

Forum Links
Forum Rules