Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quad Power Macs are coming? (jpg partay)

Quad Power Macs are coming? (jpg partay) (Page 5)
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 05:12 PM

the pics is fake,
the count drop down says four, so there 4 cpus not more, and the main display shows four cpus, however there is a bar on the right to scroll down...hmm

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by P
No, it would be almost twice as expensive. Not quite, if you do it right, because you can share some stuff, but dual cores have one L2 cache for each core, and that's the majority of the chip area - especially if you add in the actual execution units.
Cost doesn't necessarily scale linearly with chip area. There's also R&D to take into account, as well as the fact that defective MPs can be sold as single core.

blackstar: you could have seen it for yourself any number of times (I have). It's not fake.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 11:54 AM

I suspect that the next rev will be single 2.0 dual 2.0 dual 2.5 and dual 3.0. for 1499, 1999, 2499, and 2999.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
I suspect that the next rev will be single 2.0 dual 2.0 dual 2.5 and dual 3.0. for 1499, 1999, 2499, and 2999.
I believe TS's prediction of 2.0, 2.3, and 2.7. My guess is the 2.7 will be $2799.

osxisfun
Apr 25, 2005, 07:35 PM

and that's all they wrote:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=53368

I'm off to powerbook land....

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 07:44 PM

and I'm sticking with my G4 DA. There is no way Apple will be able to convince savvy pro users to upgrade to G5's without architecture changes like PCI-E and dual-core. I guess they are coming in a new Pro line?
Idiot... Slow down

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 03:36 AM

The problem is, TS's speculations and also the AI forum thread indicating 2.0, 2.3 and 2.7 GHz would be a nice line-up if it were all dual 970MPs, but since it's probably dual FXs at best and no PCIe, it just sucks. There's going to be a lot of bitching in here in a few hours. I'm gonna get all comfortable in my hammock, get a couple of double quarter pounders and a case of beer. Let the party begin.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by blackstar
the pics is fake,
the count drop down says four, so there 4 cpus not more, and the main display shows four cpus, however there is a bar on the right to scroll down...hmm
Don't be so quick to call the kettle black.

www.talesmud.com/CHUD.jpg
www.talesmud.com/MONster.jpg
Aloha

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
The problem is, TS's speculations and also the AI forum thread indicating 2.0, 2.3 and 2.7 GHz would be a nice line-up if it were all dual 970MPs, but since it's probably dual FXs at best and no PCIe, it just sucks. There's going to be a lot of bitching in here in a few hours. I'm gonna get all comfortable in my hammock, get a couple of double quarter pounders and a case of beer. Let the party begin.

I had some McDonald's quarter pounders last night for dinner and I feel like crap now. Did anyone watch "Super Size Me"?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I had some McDonald's quarter pounders last night for dinner and I feel like crap now. Did anyone watch "Super Size Me"?
Yes and I haven't eaten there since.

Also, read Fast Food Nation... seriously, you will give up fast food.

BZ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I had some McDonald's quarter pounders last night for dinner and I feel like crap now.
Duh. No wonder. That's like wanting a Mercedes and then buying a Nissan. I mean, common, McD doesn't make burgers. They just sell something that might faintly resemble a burger.

Did anyone watch "Super Size Me"?
Yeah. I loved it. I had a double bacon cheese before I saw the movie and two double quarter pounders after, but no fries. Had a wrap instead. Great movie - especially those two 'make it bacon' dudes.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 10:13 AM

"Everytime I drive by McDonald's with my kids in the car I'll punch them in the face so they'll never want it."

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 08:03 AM

It's not really a hamburger. It's a "hamburger-like food confection" or the like.

I saw the movie and it blew me away. The bonus material was even more
illuminating when they had the guy that wrote "Fast Food Nation" do an
interview with the star of the movie and the stuff you hear will have you
looking at the golden arches curiously in the future. The bit where they
put McD's food in jars for weeks and months and let them decompose was
utterly terrifying. I love their french fries myself but after I saw that NOTHING
happens to them even after months of sitting there I seriously backed off on
the fast food.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2005, 10:54 PM

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2005, 12:49 PM

eWeek: IBM to Apple: Watt Me Worry?

"IBM's [Adkins] is being truthful in what [he's] saying," Doherty said. "As far as shipping chips, IBM's ahead. And clearly from what jobs said on stage, there's some turn in the [Intel] roadmap that puts them at par or ahead of IBM. But until that roadmap is made public by Apple or Intel, there's no substantiation" of what Jobs said.

Even despite the differences of opinion, IBM will continue to supply chips to Apple for some time. Apple has indicated it will release at least one more generation of Power Mac desktops based on IBM PowerPCs. The company is expected to utilize a dual-core version of the PowerPC 970, dubbed the 970MP, in those machines.

"We still have a number of products we're doing with them," Adkins, who declined to elaborate on the exact ones, said. Thus "this is not a transition that's going to occur over night."

Also:

"They had Freescale primarily for the low-end and mobile solutions, and they really had IBM focus more on PowerBook, xServe and iMac. That's where we collaborated deeply with Apple," Adkins said.

blackwind
Jun 30, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
eWeek: IBM to Apple: Watt Me Worry?

"IBM's [Adkins] is being truthful in what [he's] saying," Doherty said. "As far as shipping chips, IBM's ahead. And clearly from what jobs said on stage, there's some turn in the [Intel] roadmap that puts them at par or ahead of IBM. But until that roadmap is made public by Apple or Intel, there's no substantiation" of what Jobs said.

Even despite the differences of opinion, IBM will continue to supply chips to Apple for some time. Apple has indicated it will release at least one more generation of Power Mac desktops based on IBM PowerPCs. The company is expected to utilize a dual-core version of the PowerPC 970, dubbed the 970MP, in those machines.

"We still have a number of products we're doing with them," Adkins, who declined to elaborate on the exact ones, said. Thus "this is not a transition that's going to occur over night."

Also:

"They had Freescale primarily for the low-end and mobile solutions, and they really had IBM focus more on PowerBook, xServe and iMac. That's where we collaborated deeply with Apple," Adkins said.
Part of the article seems to be just IBM trying to restore confidence in its current and potential clients. Obviously, IBM could probably make a low-power PowerPC 970, but it probably took required too much investment from Apple.

As for the PowerPC 970MP, it will be interesting to see whether there is a major motherboard redesign for this processor (assuming it does come out in the Power Mac G5). According to the thermal diode document, IBM tested a 970MP on a standard Momemtum development board.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 02:51 PM

Which would seem to indicate that sometime in the future if IBM ever decided to license the
chips to processor accelerator upgrade manufacturers that us dual owners could concievably
purchase dual core chips for our dually boxen. Maybe. Someday.

blackwind
Jul 1, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Which would seem to indicate that sometime in the future if IBM ever decided to license the
chips to processor accelerator upgrade manufacturers that us dual owners could concievably
purchase dual core chips for our dually boxen. Maybe. Someday.
Unfortunately, the clock speed of an upgrade will likely be the same as existing machines due to the motherboard design, so you could possibly upgrade a dual 2-GHz 970FX to a dual-processor quad-core 2-GHz 970MP, which may not be a worthy investment. Unless your applications are extremely well-threaded (Lightwave 3D and Cinema 4D come to mind), there would likely be little benefit.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2005, 02:02 PM

blackwind
Jul 7, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
When the PowerPC 970 was announced in October 2002, Apple had shipping machines in 10 months. This means that a quad-core Power Mac G5 is likely next May, which would be a good time for a silent upgrade. (If Apple still wants to make a big deal, then it can wait until June when there would be more chips as well as WWDC. I doubt a WWDC appearance, though, due to Jobs' likely focus on the progress of the transition.)

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by blackwind
When the PowerPC 970 was announced in October 2002, Apple had shipping machines in 10 months. This means that a quad-core Power Mac G5 is likely next May, which would be a good time for a silent upgrade. (If Apple still wants to make a big deal, then it can wait until June when there would be more chips as well as WWDC. I doubt a WWDC appearance, though, due to Jobs' likely focus on the progress of the transition.)
Well, the G5 970FX 2.5 was announced in February 2004 IIRC, and Apple announced Power Macs with them in June, 4 months later. I would not be surprised to see 970MP Macs by the fall, or perhaps at MWSF in January 2006.

I agree that WWDC will be about other stuff though, like 10.5 Lion and the Intel transition.

zoetrope
Jul 7, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker

I agree that WWDC will be about other stuff though, like 10.5 Lion and the Intel transition.
Umm, I thought Mac OS X 10.5 was going to be called Leopard?
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
Correct.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope

You're right, but I think we can all agree that it should have been called Lion.

ImpulseResponse

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 07:41 PM

OSX 10.5 Feral Tabby, according to my source at Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules