Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New revision of PM G5- when?

New revision of PM G5- when?
otheronenorehto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 07:51 AM

I just wanted to get a general consensus from you guys. I am just asking for opinions. With IBM announcing new dual core chips I suspect that a new revision of the G5 is on the horizon...

I hope that revision comes with dual core, a new motherboard supporting PCI-e and maybe DDRII...

2 questions

Do you think that the dual core chips will come with PCI-E, DDRII?
Regardless of your answer to the above question when do you think the next revision of PM G5's will be?

*edited for spelling

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 11, 2005, 08:10 AM

i hope soon
that way price of the older ones will drop a little and ill be able to purchase one
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 08:54 AM

I think its hard to say. It would be nice to have a PM line update before Intel CPU's arrive. I think we will, I don't think Apple can afford to not update the PM line untill they ship Intel CPU's, because that would mean no PM updates until late 2007 or 2008.
If there is a new revision coming out, I personally think it would be around late 2005, first quarter 2006. Just me

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

phantomac
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 09:28 AM

Last Revision came out in late April. That's no more than two months ago. January might be a good bet for a new revision. Rev. C is pretty good though. If you need a machine, get one.

otheronenorehto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 11:38 AM

I was hoping since the last revision was only a speedbumb (and a small one) it would be sooner... But maybe I will jsut buy one now. Hopefully I wont get a bunk power supply

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jul 11, 2005, 11:52 AM

if it's got pci-e , i may end up getting one

my imac's kaput

Markarian421
Jul 11, 2005, 12:28 PM

IBM announced that the chips exist, but does anyone know if they announced anything about availability? These chips have been known to exist for a long long time, IBM just never directly and publicly admitted to it. Rumor has it that Apple has had prototypes for a long long time as well, but IBM has never been able to actually mass produce them. So unless IBM has specifically said anything about availability (I don't know, I'm asking, but I haven't heard anything) this doesn't seem like it changes much in terms of what/when to expect. It's just investor confidence damage control on IBM's part in the wake of being dumped by Apple.

A lot of people speculate Apple will try to get these in sometime next year as a last revision before the Intel chips. January is probably not a bad guess if they can get them that early, but it's a guess. I would be surprised to see them earlier, but no one should believe my guesses. (I would not be surprised to see them later!)
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

zoetrope
Jul 11, 2005, 11:44 PM

I would expect that a PM rev D w/ the dual core G5s to be announced at the Macworld in SF in January. And I would also expect for that to be the last revision for the PowerMacs until Apple has completed the switch to Intel. This of course is only a WAG, but I expect the PowerMac to be the last of the Mac lines, both portable and desktop, in switching to an Intel platform. Odd isn't it? The new G5s announced by IBM reach a maximum of 2.5GHz, so while I thought before that we might see the infamous 3GHz G5, now I'm beginning to seriously doubt it. I always stick to rev. C Macs, both notebooks and desktops, myself, and I've never been dissapointed. Gives Apple time to work out the kinks with the early adopters. I now own the rev C. PowerMac - Dual 2.7GHz - and plan on purchasing a rev C PM Intel. When it arrives in 2009 or so.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

cueball39
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 11:55 PM

Is it possible that Apple would consider selling PowerMacs with two dual core chips? Although these might not be 3.0 GHz, would anyone be tempted by having 4 processors on the job? Personally, I would snap up a 4-core unit if it were operating above 2.5 GHz and there was support for such multi-processing in core programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and other graphics intensive programs.

Markarian421
Jul 12, 2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by cueball39
Is it possible that Apple would consider selling PowerMacs with two dual core chips?
It seems like the only way up, so almost certainly. It's what a lot of people were expecting for the last revision -- I imagine not being able to do either 3GHz or dual dual cores might have been the last straw for Steve.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 02:45 AM

You know what I just realized. Either Intel will have to ship standard Pentiums that can do dual dual cores, or Xeons for the top of the line PMs going to be a requirement if we do see quad G5s

Master Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by phantomac
Last Revision came out in late April. That's no more than two months ago. January might be a good bet for a new revision. Rev. C is pretty good though. If you need a machine, get one.
most people dont consider 2.7 from 2.5 a revision

davidahn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 03:16 AM

I had my pennies saved up for the dual dual-core 2.5-3.0GHz PMG5 and was SEVERELY disappointed it was just a dual single-core 2.7. Yes, still plenty fast, but I didn't wait 2 years for just 35% better clock speed. Gordon Moore is probably laughing right now (only 1 1/2 years behind schedule). Since clock speed isn't going up, I want more processors. I'm not buying until they give me something good.

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 03:38 AM

Facts:

Tiger, a year ago? Panther even?? Was recompiled from 2 CPU support to 4 CPU suuport, OS level.
( could speculate Apple knew then )

MS X Box has 3.2 GHz 3 core CPU ( so will Sony, etc. )

We have official word that transition will START next year, and end by 2007 ( G5 is really fine, but compare dual processor, low power P II -err M, D whatever! To a G4 - 800Mhz bus?? In under 30 years???!! G5 is not a laptop cpu )

Quad G4 to Quad future well designed Intel chips

Oh, it takes 1 year ( at best, to 18 months realistic ) from a taped out chip, which you could use to test, to production ramp to shipping product...

The OS having support built-in makes it seem obvious this is what it says inside the OS - with 2 YEARS of G5 until transition - we'll be fast as anyone could hope....

IBM has been conservative, usually delivering on time, Motorola never even called months after ship dates....IBM arrived 9am

Shipping?? IBM uses these in "Blade" servers, is there a quad option yet, ship date???

We get quads, when? I'd think Apple makes them sign a Stevenote announcment clause?? So, if they announced it....it's already shipping....or they are being babies, and it's 2 months early??

I would have bet on that, before we switched to Intel.....which has me wondering what DID happen??

My 2 cents...
BUY AAPL STOCK! It will be going WAYYY UP!

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 03:39 AM

Wow, my sig says AAPL stock, Jan 2002
( I look so smart now! ;-)
BUY AAPL STOCK! It will be going WAYYY UP!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Master Ken
most people dont consider 2.7 from 2.5 a revision
When the athlon64s went from 2.6 to 2.8 it was considered a revision.
Aloha

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 04:32 PM

I own a dual 2.5 and have used dual 2.0s, dual 2.3s, and dual 2.7s. The difference between
these machines is there but it's not a "konk you over the head" like going from a single 400
mhz cpu to a dual 2.5+.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone would have problems doing any task on a dual 2.5 or
above. Seriously - unless you're trying to render 3d animation in real time or render Seti
at Home blocks in under a minute just what will it buy you? Word processing at 27 ghz?

davidahn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 09:42 PM

It's not that I need the 2 extra processors. But then, no one really NEEDS a Ferrari, a 1956 VW bug will get you from point A to point B. It's about sex appeal.

Besides, it's been 2 years since the first dual 2GHz, and rather than DOUBLE the speed per Moore's Law, we're up 35%. I can LIVE WITH dual dual-core 2.5's, but dual-core 3.0's would kick any PC's butt out there, dual-core or not. Isn't that what a true Macophile lives for?

David

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2005, 10:35 PM

If you don't need the power of dual processors, I'd get the single and spend the saved money on upgrades for your system.

otheronenorehto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 07:29 AM

I think VW beetles are sexy

I was just hoping that an upgrade would come before christmas. Maybe if it isn't there will probably be a significant price break right?

Markarian421
Jul 14, 2005, 08:25 PM

Apple often seems to like to wait to announce upgrades until just after Christmas. Better for clearing out old inventory I guess.

experimental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 03:52 AM

I see that the NEW labels are still attached to the PM line at the Apple store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules