Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse!

Mighty Mouse! (Page 4)
videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 10:18 AM

ordered mine yesterday around 10 est, and it is on the way now, 2 day shipping

CJM
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 10:39 AM

anyone know if any stores are carrying this yet? i want to get one today and the local apple store is sold out.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by OperaMan
First Apple makes a computer for under 500 dollars
Then they join forces with Intel
And now a two button mouse...

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?
Agreed. who would have thunk it. All this must have something to do with the alignement or misalignment of the planets.

Not that it's a bad thing. I think I'm going to get one for my PC here at work. Apple Makes a multi-button mouse, probably one if not the coolest on the market.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 11:10 AM

Here's a detailed Ars Technica review.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 11:44 AM

Ok, I was wrong about the speaker. It doesn't make a click sound for the primary and secondary buttons, but it makes a slight click sound for the force-sensitive buttons, and makes a scrolling sound for the scroll ball.

Yes, I unplugged the mouse and tested it. I just wish there was a way to turn up the volume since you can barely hear the speaker.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 03:49 PM

I am happy to see Apple is moving in the proper direction with Intel, low cost macs and 3 button mice.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 03:53 PM

All my Win-dork friends are still griping anyway.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2005, 04:06 PM

i'd love to see a bluetooth version of the mighty mouse
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 04:20 PM

Hope you'll forgive the cross-post from the Lounge topic, but here is my mini review:

Took it for a test drive today at the Apple Store.

"touch sensitive" is kind of a misnomer. Clicking it feels just like the "no" button Apple mouse. The whole unit "clicks" down. That is the same for the primary and secondary click. Very nice action, very tactile, very slick.

The scroll "nipple" is kinda strange. It has no tactile feedback and is very small. I'm used to a "clickety" scroll wheel and I have to say I missed having some feedback on the Mighty Mouse. And its small. Really small. It really feels like a tiny nipple on the mouse. The scroll anywhere action is smooth, but the ball is so small that it really feels strange rubbing it like mad to move around.

The side buttons are really a drawback, IMO. They are positioned awkwardly for my large hands so in order to place my fingers over the spots where you squeeze I actually had to shift my grip on the mouse. All hands differ so I admit this is just a personal thing. The spots you squeeze simply don't align with where my thumb and ring finger lay naturally when holding the mouse. Also, you actually have to squeeze to register a click. The buttons are physical so there is tactile feedback as they actually depress, but I just found the hand position and amount of force necessary totally awkward.

In short, its just not very ergonomic at all, at least not for my hands. Bottom line: I'll be sticking with my MS Intellimouse for now.

The features work as good/better than advertised. I would just strongly recommend playing with one before ordering because the ergonomics are really particular (as opposed to universal), IMO.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 04:40 PM

Now that I've had a chance to get used to it I'll elaborate on my mini review from yesterday. The software is interesting for the mouse. The default configuration is to completely forgo the right mouse button and have the third and forth buttons activate Exposé and Dashboard. In a sense it ships out of the box as a single button mouse. A quick few clicks and it was a four button mouse. The third button (nipple click) registers as a Cmd + click so it opens up links in new tabs in Safari and whatnot. You can disable one or bother scrolling axis and adjust the scroll speed in the software configuration.

Overall I find it to be pretty comfortable. I like the Apple Pro mice a lot so this one feels very similar. The scroll nipple does take a little getting used to because you can ham finger a typical scroll wheel. The ticking while scrolling is a welcome feature. I really hate scroll wheels with little or no feedback when you scroll. My old Logitech has a scroll action that felt like a clacker on a gameshow price wheel and I think I got used to subconsciously counting clicks to know how far I had gone scrolling.

I don't think this will be the default mouse for Macs anytime soon. I do however think that Apple wanted to get in on the multibutton mouse market. If a Windows switcher walks out of an Apple Store with a Mac mini they probably aren't leaving with a single button Apple mouse. Instead of letting Logitech or Microsoft get the sale for free they can offer up a little competition.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 07:33 PM

As are mine... one of them has had big beef with Apple particularly around the fact that although the system supports right-click, the default mouse didn't have a button for it. Of course, he ignored the fact that it's actually a ctrl-click.

Once MM was out, of course all he could say now was that "mice users" in general were lame and he didn't understand how people could keep using mice.

Go figure...

Originally Posted by iomatic
All my Win-dork friends are still griping anyway.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 08:10 PM

can anyone comment on the fact that you can't put pressure on the left side to do a "right click"?

Even if you lightly have your finger on the left side, when you do a right click, will it still not register that right click?

zoetrope
Aug 3, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
Even if you lightly have your finger on the left side, when you do a right click, will it still not register that right click?
That's correct. As long as your left finger is touching the left button area, the right click will not register. I've been moving my finger over the 'scrollball/middle-click' area when right clicking and that seems to work.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by badtz
can anyone comment on the fact that you can't put pressure on the left side to do a "right click"?

This comment over and over somewhat baffles me. Today, I noticed what my fingers do on my two button mouse. When I right click with my middle finger, my index finger on the left click button ALWAYS raises above the mouse. I wasn't doing this on purpose. It is just how my hand works. I have to THINK about keeping my index finger on the left click button down. For me, Apple got this right.

In any case, I went to the Apple store here in Kansas City and they didn't even have a demo. They only got 4 in yesterday and those sold immediately. I went ahead and ordered mine online.

I would be interested in getting one of these for my powerbook but only not this size. Maybe Apple will come out with

Mini Mouse

for the laptop. That's what I'm talkin' bout.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 3, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Tooki, why wouldn't you want the MM to ship with all new Macs? Seems like the perfect solution to the one-button/two-button argument. Don't need/want a right click, then turn it off!
Because it is crucial that developers NOT be able to count on everyone having a multi-button mouse. On Windows, this assumption has led to many programs putting critical commands only into contextual menus. This massively reduces the learning aspect of usability, because contextual menus don't lend themselves to exploration. (I.e. some commands will only appear in a contextual menu if a very specific combination of conditions exist at that moment; if they don't, there isn't even any way to learn that the function exists.)

I and others have posted more about this here.

I believe it should, however, be a BTO option the way the bluetooth mouse is so that you can order it instead of the regular mouse, rather than in addition to.

tooki

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 08:51 PM

I'm with tooki and some others on this. And the BTO thing really makes sense.

How many PC's come with kick a$$ multi function mice right out of the box? This is a good move for Apple to make more revenue vs. watching the buyer walking out with a MS or Logitech or whatever mouse.

osxisfun
Aug 3, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
I'm with tooki and some others on this. And the BTO thing really makes sense.

How many PC's come with kick a$$ multi function mice right out of the box? This is a good move for Apple to make more revenue vs. watching the buyer walking out with a MS or Logitech or whatever mouse.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
On Windows, this assumption has led to many programs putting critical commands only into contextual menus.
On Mac in the Spotlight results window critical commands are only in contextual menus. And this is not a third party program. Apple programmed it like that.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 09:25 PM

There is no use for the Mighty Mouse. It's pretty much a waste of money. USB Overdrive is all you need, and perhaps a multi-button Windows mouse. I use a three button Microsoft Intellimouse, and with USB Overdrive, it's fine. I wish I had five buttons though, programmed to Expose, etc. but hotspots will do for now.

Honestly, the pressure pad thing was stupid. Having to lift all other fingers to click is ridiculous. People are lazy by nature, and Apple should pander to that.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by cleanup
People are lazy by nature, and Apple should pander to that.
I'm picturing you in a scruffy shirt, unshaven, bag of chips and a half a pop spilled on your desktop...dripping onto the floor because you are too lazy to get out of your bean bag chair to mop it up with you socks.
Don't see anyone at Apple racing to work to design for that.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 09:45 PM

I shaved on the planeride home this morning, I never eat at my computer (I also rarely eat chips, although I did have a Coke on the flight), the floor is quite clean, it's vacuumed every few days, I'm sitting in an office chair, and I'm not wearing socks.

I don't expect Apple to design for "that," but I do expect them to have some consideration for the common man, who is, by nature, lazy. I'm sure you're lazy as well, in one way or another. For me, it's not wanting to get used to the Mighty Mouse, because I'm too used to clicking away at my consent without having to lift a finger.

Thanks for your comments though.

Oh, but I was bit of a slob on the plane, I just kinda threw my bag on the floor, the newspaper they gave me on the floor, blanket on the floor, the water they gave me on the floor, and I took off my sandals and put my sweaty barefeet on the legrest. It was bliss.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 3, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
On Mac in the Spotlight results window critical commands are only in contextual menus. And this is not a third party program. Apple programmed it like that.
I know this, and if you read my comments in the other thread you would have seen that I criticized Apple for not following its own Apple Human Interface Guidelines.

tooki

zoetrope
Aug 3, 2005, 10:55 PM

Well it looks like the crazies over at Ars was willing to burn $50 and take the Mighty Mouse apart, they've got pictures, and yes...there's a speaker inside!

The guts of the Mighty Mouse
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac
This comment over and over somewhat baffles me. Today, I noticed what my fingers do on my two button mouse. When I right click with my middle finger, my index finger on the left click button ALWAYS raises above the mouse. I wasn't doing this on purpose. It is just how my hand works. I have to THINK about keeping my index finger on the left click button down. For me, Apple got this right.
Hopefully someone will hack this [or apple give us the option] ... because I really don't want to consciously start modifying my mouse clicking so that my index finger doesn't touch the left side of the mouse.

I don't understand the logic behind this decision?

even if you lift up your finger, it doesn't hurt to have the right click be A RIGHT CLICK, regardless of where your other non-clicking finger is.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 4, 2005, 03:58 AM

Think of it like this instead:

If the sensors detect fingers on both the left and right sides, what button click should it send? Left? Right?

Apple decided that since left-clicks are far more common, that would make a better default.

And I agree!

tooki

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 06:34 AM

The arstechnica 'dissection' makes a good point about the button sensors for left and right click. They could have done the same thing with one sensor. So if the sensor was on the left, click and sensor touch would mean left click, click and no sensor touch would mean right click, with the actions reversed for a left handed user. Unless they are going to add features in the future (they also say there is an empty capacitor slot on the board, for bluetooth?) then there isn't really a need for a sensor on each side.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 06:50 AM

Hopefully someone will hack this [or apple give us the option] ... because I really don't want to consciously start modifying my mouse clicking so that my index finger doesn't touch the left side of the mouse.

I don't understand the logic behind this decision?

even if you lift up your finger, it doesn't hurt to have the right click be A RIGHT CLICK, regardless of where your other non-clicking finger is.
You made a lot of work for yourself highlighting every time I said I or me or my.

You did notice that my last sentence said "for me".

Apple has made the mouse work with software. I would guess that they could "update" that software if the issue becomes widespread enough or "real". Maybe you should send "feedback" to Apple after you have used the Mighty Mouse if it still is important to you.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 07:16 AM

Think of it like this instead:

If the sensors detect fingers on both the left and right sides, what button click should it send? Left? Right?
tooki
Ideally, nothing. Because you haven't pressed the button down yet. Nothing is activated until that happens. If you press both at the same time [when would anyone do this] then have that default to left click.

But there's not a reason [that I see] where just leaving a finger on the left side, warrants a right click to not register as a right click.

It bugs, but I'll probably still end up getting it [well, after I test it out at the store]

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2005, 07:55 AM

No one comments on how the mouse is $50? Boutique prices that's for sure. I thought Apple had gotten over this hump with the mini.

I guess I have benefitted from their inflated cost when I sold my Pro Mouse on ebay, but still it would be nice to see this mouse offered a little closer to the 15-35 dollar competition.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

gkorsgard
Aug 4, 2005, 08:27 AM

Well, I got my ship delay notice. I placed the order on Tuesday at 11am, expected shipment was day of, yesterday I was told it would ship. Today, on or before 8/12. They need to set up mouse traps so they don't get away!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
The arstechnica 'dissection' makes a good point about the button sensors for left and right click. They could have done the same thing with one sensor. So if the sensor was on the left, click and sensor touch would mean left click, click and no sensor touch would mean right click, with the actions reversed for a left handed user. […] there isn't really a need for a sensor on each side.
And lefthanded people? They shouldn't be able to do a primary click at all?

tokamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 09:06 AM

So the little speaker inside Mighty Mouse is used only for the squeeze lateral buttons and the track ball. The left/right click doesn't need to use its sound because it acts like the current Pro Mouse, by rocking downward.
But does it mean... that the click sound of this new mouse is as loud as the current Apple mouse?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 09:10 AM

Like I said,

Originally Posted by ajprice
with the actions reversed for a left handed user.
So left handed setting would be click and no sensor touch for left click, click and sensor touch for right click.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by aj
So left handed setting would be click and no sensor touch for left click, click and sensor touch for right click.
That would mean that lefthanded people would have to have their middle finger liftet all the time to do a primary click.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gkorsgard
Well, I got my ship delay notice. I placed the order on Tuesday at 11am, expected shipment was day of, yesterday I was told it would ship. Today, on or before 8/12. They need to set up mouse traps so they don't get away!
Ya they just bumped mine to the 10th. Apple is still really PATHETIC about meeting demands, every time I order ANYTHING new from them it takes weeks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 4, 2005, 10:52 AM

Ideally, nothing. Because you haven't pressed the button down yet. Nothing is activated until that happens. If you press both at the same time [when would anyone do this] then have that default to left click.

But there's not a reason [that I see] where just leaving a finger on the left side, warrants a right click to not register as a right click.

It bugs, but I'll probably still end up getting it [well, after I test it out at the store]
Well obviously I was talking about during a click. If you don't press down, it doesn't matter where your fingers are because it won't send a click until you press. And then, it's basically checking the condition tree "Is there a finger on the right side, and on the right side only? OK, send a right click. No? Is there a finger on the middle button, and the middle button only? OK, send a middle click. No? Send a left click."

Remember that what you are advocating is that it give priority to right-clicks over left-clicks. That's insanity. Left-clicks are vastly more common.

The Mighty Mouse has only one physical click switch. It uses the touch sensors only to determine where your fingers are when it detects a physical click. When it can make a positive identification of your finger location, it does the appropriate click. When it can't make a positive identification of your finger location, it makes the very sensible decision to send a left-click.

tooki

neely
Aug 4, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Apple is still really PATHETIC about meeting demands, every time I order ANYTHING new from them it takes weeks.
That's usually the case with me (6-7 weeks for an iPod Shuffle) too, but I ordered the mouse from the UK Apple Store on Tuesday afternoon and it arrived this morning (Thursday). Haven't tried it yet, though.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by hyperb0le
Has anyone else gotten shipping delays from the Apple Store Online? I ordered one yesterday with overnight shipping, and this morning, I received an email saying that my order will now ship On or Before 8/09
Ditto here.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 11:10 AM

YApple is still really PATHETIC about meeting demands, every time I order ANYTHING new from them it takes weeks.
Maybe it's you. I got mine in less than 19 hours from ordering it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 11:41 AM

"the boy has no patience..."

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

osxisfun
Aug 4, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by drmcnutt
No one comments on how the mouse is $50? Boutique prices that's for sure. I thought Apple had gotten over this hump with the mini.

I guess I have benefitted from their inflated cost when I sold my Pro Mouse on ebay, but still it would be nice to see this mouse offered a little closer to the 15-35 dollar competition.

This mouse is close:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077626703883

Logitech m510 (which i own.) it has more buttons but apple has a the scroll ball and much better industrial design.

it cost $49.

this mouse (wired intellimouse) has one more button:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1069299120315

and cost $43.99 and looks like a typical m$ mouse.

apple is right in line IMO.

no way $15 is a realistic price point.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by reemas
I cant wait for the $99 Bluetooth version though.
I could wait for that, say, 100 years

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
no way $15 is a realistic price point.
This is an equivalent PC mouse with scroll-ball:

http://www.sallandautomatisering.nl/...o.php?pid=1759

and it costs €8 (about US$10).

osxisfun
Aug 4, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
This is an equivalent PC mouse with scroll-ball:

http://www.sallandautomatisering.nl/...o.php?pid=1759

and it costs €8 (about US$10).

and no doubt it feels like every other sub 20$ mouse i try when i drop by Frys Electronics.

Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 4, 2005, 12:28 PM

Received mine today - ordered from the UK Apple Store yesterday!

Very nice mouse, no problems whatsoever!

zoetrope
Aug 4, 2005, 12:57 PM

Alright, after nearly two days of solid use with the MM, and after a year of using the Logitech MX700, here's my final impressions. And why I've switched to using the Mighty Mouse over the Logitech.

The squeeze buttons are the Mighty Mouse's weakest innovation. While I do use them, they do not provide the tactile feedback necessary for common usage, and that may be the way Apple intended. The MX700 is superior in terms of buttons, both quantity and quality. The MX700 has enough buttons to activate all of Expose's features (all windows, application windows, and desktop), and Dashboard as well. I've setup the squeeze buttons to activate the all windows feature of Expose, and option and command key modifiers for application windows and desktop. I've setup the middle/scrollball click for Dashboard. I wish the side/squeeze buttons were mutually exlusive of each other, and could be programmed independently. I have found that the act of squeezing the side buttons though to be quite easy and quick to accomplish. I just wish the buttons themselves provided better tactile response.

The scrollball on the other hand is the best feature of the Mighty Mouse and why I've switched to using it over the MX700. The fact that I can vertically, horizontally, and diagonally scroll without any modifier keys at all is great for graphics work. I find the scrollball to be very easy to use, provide more accurate scrolling, and with less effort than a scroll wheel. And for those who are complaining about there being gaps when using the scrollball, have you taken a look at the gaps with scrollwheels on any and every mouse that uses them? The gaps in the scrollball is only present when its actually being used, otherwise it sits flush with the shell. The scrollwheels on the other hand have huge gaps when being pushed/clicked as a third button, and gaps in between the left and right buttons are always present on nearly every mouse I've seen that have them. The scrollball is superior than the wheel, end of story! Even if you don't find diagonal, or as Apple likes to advertise, 360 degree scrolling, suited to your daily use, the fact that you can vertically and horizontally scroll with ease and no modifier keys is reason enough to declare the scrollball the winner. Problem is, I bet Apple has a patent on this, so while I expect to see copies/clones they might not operate the same as Apple's

Anyone who uses Photoshop or apps like it know all too well that wireless mice don't track as accurately as those with tails. So for Apple to release a wired mouse first was a smart move. The MX700 is wireless and tracks better than most, but not better than a wired version. I use a Wacom for most graphics projects, so it hasn't been an issue, but when simply viewing large files, or zooming in, the Mighty Mouse is superior in every respect to the Logitech.

I didn't even notice at first, but lifting my index finger from the left/primary click key when right clicking is no problem because I already do that when using any multibutton mouse. I do that, not every one does so YMMV. So basically, the Mighty Mouse is an evolutionary step towards a better mouse, not revolutionary, and all because of that little scrollball. And just remember before you whine about this or that w.r.t. to the Mighty Mouse, it's just a mouse, and opinions are like a$$h*les, everybody's got one.
( Last edited by zoetrope; Aug 4, 2005 at 01:16 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Maybe it's you. I got mine in less than 19 hours from ordering it.
No others have mentioned it also here and Apple has ALWAYS been know for this, so don't try that.

Am I supposed to be impressed that SOMEONE got a product from Apple close to the time they ordered it?

Same thing happened with the shuffle, I ordered it day of, it took 3 weeks. Never ever had that problem with any other company I order from.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

colinmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 03:15 PM

Ordered mine from the UK apple store on Tuesday at 5pm.

Arrived 9am this morning.

And I *REALLY* like it. No problems with the non buttons - you'll likely need to try it to see how it actually works. It's only when I actually think about how it works, it then seems extremely clever. In normal use, I didn't even notice.

And the wee ball thing is way better than I expected it to be.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 06:32 PM

No others have mentioned it also here and Apple has ALWAYS been know for this, so don't try that.

Am I supposed to be impressed that SOMEONE got a product from Apple close to the time they ordered it?

Same thing happened with the shuffle, I ordered it day of, it took 3 weeks. Never ever had that problem with any other company I order from.

3 weeks to receive your shuffle. I'll bet you were climbing the walls.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 06:50 PM

Because it is crucial that developers NOT be able to count on everyone having a multi-button mouse. On Windows, this assumption has led to many programs putting critical commands only into contextual menus. This massively reduces the learning aspect of usability, because contextual menus don't lend themselves to exploration. (I.e. some commands will only appear in a contextual menu if a very specific combination of conditions exist at that moment; if they don't, there isn't even any way to learn that the function exists.)
I have never thought of this that way. Interesting, and highly plausible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules