Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty (Safari-crashing) Mouse

Mighty (Safari-crashing) Mouse
adonai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 02:47 PM

Initially I didn't care for the mouse, after using an Intellimouse Explorer, it just felt too small in my hand. But remembering I didn't care for the Intelli when it was new either, I've tried to not think about it and get past the break-in period.

I installed the Apple Security Update this morning (Tiger 10.4.2), not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I opened an image from a thread on another board that was larger than Safari was stretched to see.

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/sjobbe/ruusu.jpg

I scrolled diagonally and Safari crashed. I sent the report to Apple explaining, then upon reopening, Safari asks if I want to retain my old settings or switch to the new ones. I choose new, assuming this was due to the security update this morning, I haven't used the Mac since the install and reboot.

ALL my Safari settings are back to stock, I have to re-specify everything, reset tab preferences, etc. I log out so Shapeshifter will reskin Safari once again, I suppose all this is to be expected with the update. So out of curiousity I hit that image again, scroll diagonally and it crashes again.

I'm not real impressed with this mouse. Misclicks are far too easy. If you game, forget it. Quick mouse action may activate a left/right/scroll all from the same spot on the mouse.

Anyone tried SteerMouse? I think I'll give that a try before deciding to retire the Mighty Mouse.

Sorry if this sounds incoherent, just woke up.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 05:44 AM

Nice picture. Haven't tried SteerMouse yet, but if it can be confirmed that it enables ALL the features, even on 10.3.9 (I'm on it.), that might be an incentive to purchase a MightyMouse, anyway.

Now look at this:

Got it when trying to bookmark the SteerMouse site.

Coincidence? Maybe, but I think it very likely has to do with the Security Update.

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2005, 10:20 AM

i think the mighty mouse and the new update is screwing up safari. my safari has been crashing repeatedly after the update

Forum Links
Forum Rules