Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Just Purchased, ADVICE

Mac Mini Just Purchased, ADVICE
UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2007, 05:47 PM

Hey all, I just grabbed a sweet deal on the Mac Mini 1.6 Ghz intel w/ superdrive off of the Apple website (refurbished) and this being my FIRST Mac desktop (I have had 6 Mac laptops) I wanted to get a little advice, etc. from the people on the forums. First can someone provide me a link to the cheapest place to buy RAM and HD internal storage for the Mac Mini (along with type, size, etc. that is needed to fit into the mini). Any other advice such as things which are a MUST for an Apple desktop user would be appreciated as well, thanks!
( Last edited by UltimaLaw; Jan 15, 2007 at 06:20 PM. )
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 08:08 PM

Hard drive: You need a 2.5" SATA drive. Newegg has a bunch for good prices - Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Memory: No idea who is cheapest, I'd buy 2GB kit for Apple Mac mini (Intel Core Duo - 1.66GHz) from Crucial.com

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 10:29 PM

NewEgg.com for RAM, fast and cheap shipping and lots of brands with reviews from some Mac users. Cheaper then the $340 above as well for 2 GB.

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 01:39 AM

New Mac mini owner here as well . . . thanks for the advice, folks.
Mac mini | 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
iPod (5.5G - white) | 30GB

G5power
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 09:39 PM

I upgraded the memory in my Mini with PNY RAM from CompUSA. They had the 1GB for something like $89 each after $25 rebate. I see deals like that from them at least once a month.
Mini 1.66GHz - 2GB RAM - Superdrive - 80GB internal - 500GB external
G5 2.3GHz - 5 GB RAM - ATI 9650
Dell 2405

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 12:31 PM

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by UltimaLaw View Post
Hey all, I just grabbed a sweet deal on the Mac Mini 1.6 Ghz intel w/ superdrive off of the Apple website (refurbished) and this being my FIRST Mac desktop (I have had 6 Mac laptops) I wanted to get a little advice, etc. from the people on the forums. First can someone provide me a link to the cheapest place to buy RAM and HD internal storage for the Mac Mini (along with type, size, etc. that is needed to fit into the mini). Any other advice such as things which are a MUST for an Apple desktop user would be appreciated as well, thanks!
Personally, I'd leave the OEM hard drive in, and buy an external enclosure/hub. They're roughly the same price as a 7200 rpm 2.5", plus you get more storage, and more USB and Firewire ports. The internal drive isn't that slow. You say you're used to using Mac laptops, that access speed should be the same.

Here's a link to the Lacie mini, considered by many to be the best hub/enclosure:

LaCie - mini Hard Drive & Hub - USB 2.0 & FireWire 400

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by G5power View Post
I upgraded the memory in my Mini with PNY RAM from CompUSA. They had the 1GB for something like $89 each after $25 rebate. I see deals like that from them at least once a month.
i've had a bad experience with cheap ram from compusa. after i installed it, a lot of freezes, after uninstall, no more freezes. this was on my powerbook. just a heads up

Alex

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:19 AM

Is the mini still only internally accessible by using a putty knife?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 05:53 AM

+1 for newegg. I purchase all my memory from them. I have it installed at my local apple dealer shop though, not because I'm incapable of it, but so my warranty remains intact. Cost is only $10, and he has all the proper anti-static mats and tiny screwdrivers. I like to chat with the owner too, he's a neat person.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a mini mac for my den. Let me know how it works out for you. Maybe post some pics

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 01:09 PM

Uhh, are you serious? Their prices are much more than other places listed in here.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:31 PM

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Uhh, are you serious? Their prices are much more than other places listed in here.
look at the manufacturer, please. Personal experience-wise
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Forum Links
Forum Rules