Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do you still use your G3 iMac?

Do you still use your G3 iMac? (Page 4)
Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2007, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Northeastern292;3330056]I still occasionally fire up my late dad's iMac 350 (Summer 2000), and I still think it is one of the most handicapped computers out there.

I also use my mom's iMac G3 500 (Summer 2001). I upgraded the hard drive to 80GB and upgraded the ram. 10.4 is a little sluggish, but still runs fine.

R.I.P iMac G3 production 8-15-98/3-18-03

Good times, good times.

Tomorrow will be the 4th anniversary of the ending of G3 iMac production. Hopefully it won't be vintage for another two years.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 12:24 PM

it's a 5 year old dream come true
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007, 02:06 PM

I posted earlier about still using my G3 iMac (which I do, but we now have a new intel iMac as our new main computer) but I have to share a sad sight from yesterday. Pulled off a state highway near Port Orchard, Washington into a gas station parking lot looking for some food. Circled around the gas station but found none, but on the back side of the gas station I noticed one of those donation boxes where you are supposed to donate clothing and small household items through a slot into the metal box (these things are kind of dumpster sized if you have never seen one). Usually there are some bigger items placed along side the box, and in this case there was, upside down, a ruby red or maybe strawberry second generation iMac (the kind with the slot drive). My first reaction was to stop the car, pop the trunk, and save it but then I remembered that taking things from donation boxes is illegal, even if they are sitting outside of the box. Still, it was hard to leave it there, even if I need another project like I need a hole in the head. I didn't even get out of the car, because I knew if I went over to check it out I would end up taking it. Sad to think that $1000 or more of computer that is just 5 or 6 years old ends up sitting upside down in the rain underneath boxes of other junk next to a donation bin, especially given the stories of daily use of the G3 models posted right here.

Val

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post

Or this 16 year old's dream come true . I love iMac G3s. My friend is selling hers to me this summer.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post

Hopefully those iMacs find good homes. Please someone tell Apple that it is still a viable workhorse and not obsolete.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

imacguy309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 10:17 PM

I just got my iMac g3 350MHZ SL 7GB HD and I Love it! it works super fast and the video that everyone is complaining about is no problem on mine no glitches...LUV IT!

For a Free computer from a guy in Boulder it has been more than expected...$25 shipping that was nothing...

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2007, 02:32 PM

I just returned from a short vacation and used my trusty G3 to import some digital video footage from my trip.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

rollershapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2007, 10:20 PM

Im in the market to buy a G3 iMac right now. I cant wait to get one, the design is timeless =D
iBook G3, 800Mhz, combodrive, 256Mb, 30GbFOR SALE

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 09:47 AM

Yep... I have several in my lab (see sig) that are running beautifully... but rumor has it that Leopard is not supported on the G3. Yikes!
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor is true. The G3 has a PowerPC chip which is only 32 bit while all the new Macs have Intel and 64 bit technology. Leopard will only run on 64 bit units which leaves all the old Machines behind. Oh well, Tiger will be useful for many years to come. You never know though, we might be surprised.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 02:12 PM

Leopard will run on both 32 bit and 64 bit Macs but Apple is encouraging people to write 64 bit applications so expect the professional applications like Adobe Photoshop or Final Cut Studio to go 64 bit to ease that transition. Here is a quote from their Leopard page:

"Leopard delivers 64-bit power in one, universal OS. Now the Cocoa application frameworks, as well as graphics, scripting, and the UNIX foundations of the Mac, are all 64-bit. And since you get full performance and compatibility for your 32-bit applications and drivers, you don’t need to update everything on your system just to run a single 64-bit application."

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 02:18 PM

Leopard will probably support the iMac G5 and Power Mac G5 but the G3 and G4 are on their way out with Mac OS X Tiger.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2007, 07:31 AM

i really don't understand what the big deal is. if leopard isn't supported then don't run it. i run 10.2.8 and 9.2 on my g3. i just don't understand the need to run the latest os on older machines. everybody's different i guess.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 03:25 PM

I guess for me running the latest and greatest OS on my older machines is just plain cool. In addition, having this functionality shows the awesomeness of Macs.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2007, 07:23 PM

I just picked up a 600mhz G3 with a 40 gig drive for $60.00.
It felt a little silly paying so little for such a useful tool.
I use them as digital music servers for customers of mine and they just purr away without much need for human intervention.
I would buy them all day long like this one if I could.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 09:57 PM

Not an iMac, but same kinda speed range ...

I still get some use out of my old iBook 600mhz G3. I just stuck Ubuntu on it, and it feels like new!

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 10:38 PM

What's Ubuntu?
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

DanF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 07:35 AM

Ubuntu is a version (distribution) of Linux that will run on PowerPC computers.

I'm running a G3 iMac 600 (snow) on 10.4 and have been struggling for ages to get it running at all quickly. Often hear the hard-disk hammering away for ages between clicks. This points to a memory problem of some sort (I think). I've 512MB RAM installed, so I'm a little suprised. Any tips?

I originally upgraded from 10.1 to to 10.4, I've checked firmware is up to date (prior to install). I've re-done a clean-install and then installed the old system from a cloned disk. I've run out of ideas. Do I disable spotlight next? Do I need to start un-installing stuff. Is it that I've not got enough space on the hard-disk (4.5 GB free)??

Help!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by DanF View Post

I'm running a G3 iMac 600 (snow) on 10.4 and have been struggling for ages to get it running at all quickly. Often hear the hard-disk hammering away for ages between clicks. This points to a memory problem of some sort (I think). I've 512MB RAM installed, so I'm a little suprised. Any tips?

I originally upgraded from 10.1 to to 10.4, I've checked firmware is up to date (prior to install). I've re-done a clean-install and then installed the old system from a cloned disk. I've run out of ideas. Do I disable spotlight next? Do I need to start un-installing stuff. Is it that I've not got enough space on the hard-disk (4.5 GB free)??

Help!
512MB of RAM is barely enough to run 10.4

Mr.Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 12:54 AM

With all due respect, I think 512 MB of memory is plenty to run OS X. I've been able to run 10.4.X on 256 MB without huge lags on a G3 iMac. I have 768MB installed in mine and I've found the biggest boost for performance to come from a "modern" HD that runs at 7200RPM vs. an older HD that runs at 5400RPM.

If you have the skills to replace the HD (it's easy) and the money ($65) for a 120GB Seagate or Maxtor 7200 HD I believe the limitations would be removed.

Just my two cents...
4 "Wintels", a MacBook, an iMac (G3 baby!), and a couple of iPods.

2004G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 07:32 PM

I thought I'd chime in here I recently got an indigo 500mhz for free from a local school. At first I had some trouble because it had OS9 on it (which I have never used), and it would not detect any of my dell usb mice under os9 (it came with an apple pro keyboard but no mouse). Someone was nice enough to give me an apple optical mouse, and I then upgraded it to 640mb ram and loaded panther on it and I have to say...this little machine is cool! It's not very speedy compared to my macbook...but it does very well for browsing the web, documents, email, and itunes. Makes a great extra computer or kids computer.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2007, 01:56 AM

I went to my neighbor's house last week for the first time and I saw they had an iMac G3.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DanF View Post

Help!
With only 512MB RAM installed it could be the lack of disk space that is the issue - if you are swapping a lot, then you could easily have 2GB worth of VM after a day or so of use, leaving you with only 2.5GB of free space. If the distribution of the files on the disk is also scattered with little contiguous space left for larger files, then this could also be a problem, depending on how you are using it.

Alternatively, your hard drive could just be in the process of dying. If it hasn't been replaced since the iMac was first purchased, its already exceeded average life expectancy for a HD.

christheintern
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 03:38 PM

I just got my G3 from a friend at a Ham Radio club. He saw me working on my Dual Core 2.0 ghz macbook and said that he had one at his house (that he bought from goodwill) and he had no idea how to use it. With a little work, I was able to access the internet and all. (I had to use a browser called iCab... nothing else was supported).

Then I spoke with my old teacher and started talking about reinstalling the OS. Someone had royally up the os. I was very angry, so I used Norton Utils and erased the drive, etc. Upon trying to install 10.3, it froze. Upon trying to install 9.2.1, it froze. Even trying to install 8.5, it froze. Now my teacher is going to try and put 10.2 on a 20 gib drive, and give it to me, trying to figure out if it is the drive or the logic board. Do you guys know what it could be? It seems to freeze whenever I try to install, turn it off, or on some websites. My video is going too.

(I know ^^^ that's a technical question, but I'm stumped)

unhappyending
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 12:04 AM

I have a iMac G3 in Indigo, it has 350MHz in it. I still use it for internet, it's a great computer, 7 years old still running perfectly.
 Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.5.3, 1GB Ram.
 iMac G3 350MHz PowerPC G3, OS X 10.3.9, 256MB Ram

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jul 20, 2007, 02:16 PM

Well, I don't but my parents use my old Blue Dalmatiner on a daily basis. Actually, my dad just called - there seems to be something wrong with the apple-mouse. He have to unplug it from time to time, because it stops responding. Guess after 6 years it's worn down

armanistud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2007, 03:57 AM

Hey guys, well i started off my journey with macs back in the day, ahh the Macintosh SE, no hard drive, then the one with the hard drive, moved on to Classic, and then classic II colour.
And that was the end of my journey with Macs, until 1 month ago: my mate was moving back to germany and he said, u want this imac G3, i said NO, he said il throw it out, and im like what the heck il take it. ITS THE BEST

Im glad im starting to like Mac's again, hopefully il buy a new one later this year

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 11:30 AM

Welcome back. Enjoy your iMac.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 10:18 PM

I just acquired a blue (or maybe indigo? I don't really know the big difference) 400 MHz iMac G3 DV with pro mouse and pro keyboard and OS 9.0.4 on a 10 GB hard drive. It now has a replacement 40 GB hard drive (five years old--maybe I'll spring for a new one someday or drop my 300 GB drive in it) with OS 9.2.2 and a memory boost to 384 MB of RAM. It's in quite clean condition, with only the RAM cover missing. This doesn't bother me, since it probably provides a little better airflow and is around the back so it's not within easy reach.

I tossed a copy of iTunes 2(!) on it and tried a few Internet radio stations. For the size of the speakers, the sound is quite good.

All this playing around on OS 9.2.2 is temporary, as I'm going to put Tiger on it and set it up as a file and print server. The trick with Tiger is going to be deciding how to get it installed. It only has a CD-ROM drive, which I find odd since I thought the "DV" designation insinuated a DVD drive. I could get the CDs, but I'm going to try copying a Tiger DVD to a Firewire iPod and boot from the iPod. I read that the Firewire iPod may provide a faster installation than the optical drive.

I though about trying the iMac in Target disk mode, but I don't have a Firewire cable and I would expect that my MacBook would install the Intel files and not the PowerPC files. If I can't get that to work, I'll search the forum.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 11:37 PM

I just got that same exact machine, but alas, only jaguar...Good luck with Leopard!
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 12:08 AM

At work, I've got a Blueberry 350 slot-loader with 383 mb of RAM in it, running Os 10.3 in my ink room. I use it to load an excel spreadsheet with my ink formulas, and to play me some tunes while I'm mixing ink. It's a great little machine that was give to me for free 3 years ago. Never had a day's trouble with it.

I was also recently given a snow 500/firewire in trade for helping a friend upgrade her snow 600. She had two of them, and didn't want one, so I got her up and running with the better one and she gave me the other as barter. I upgraded the RAM in it to 512 mb, got 10.3 installed on it, and it ran like a champ. I was going to put it in my son's room so he could play club penguin on it, but alas, it was too deep for his little desk. I held on to it for a month, as I was really quite fond of the thing, but ended up selling it on Craigslist for $100.00, as I really just had no use for it. (got a dual 2.0 G5 & a G4 Powerbook already) My 8 yo son is now the proud "owner" of my Cube!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I just acquired a blue (or maybe indigo? I don't really know the big difference) 400 MHz iMac G3 DV with pro mouse and pro keyboard and OS 9.0.4 on a 10 GB hard drive. It now has a replacement 40 GB hard drive (five years old--maybe I'll spring for a new one someday or drop my 300 GB drive in it).
Blueberry iMacs are closer to turquoise in colour, Indigos are navy blue. Download the freeware MacTracker application to see which you have.

IIRC, the largest hard drive that you can put in an iMac G3 is 120GB (you can put larger ones in, but the extra space isn't seen).

If you are putting Tiger on it, 384MB RAM might not be enough for comfortable usage.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 10:53 AM

OK it's the indigo one.

More memory would certainly help, but the iMac is going to be a wired file and print (more "print" than "file") server for my otherwise wireless network, so a touch of sluggishness really won't hurt too much. My C2D MB is going to remain as my main machine.

I have to admit that I like the design...the machine is in great shape physically, with little to no dust inside when I changed the HD and memory, and no blemishes outside.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 13, 2007, 09:33 PM

OK I got Tiger on the Indigo iMac!

I booted the MacBook in Target Disk mode but OS 9.2.2 would have none of it. I knew the FireWire ports worked, as I could put the iMac in Target mode and see it on the MacBook.

With the MB in Target mode, I booted up the iMac and held the option key to select the boot drive, as I had copied the Tiger install DVD to one partition on the iMac drive. Lo and behold, the MacBook DVD drive showed as one of the boot options! I repartitioned the iMac via Disk Utility into one large partition and installed Tiger. Ran the software updates to get to 10.4.10 and all the accompanying updates, and all is well.

bam1234567
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 02:29 AM

Yeah I have a DV/SE 400Mhz Slot CD 256MB 10GB OS X (10.3.9) + OS 9.2.2 machine. Still runs like a butte. But I got if off eBay, and it belonged to a school so i don't expect the screen to last forever, plus you know how little kids love to put things in the CD slot like paper clips, etc. so i've had to open er' up a few times. plus i would like to know if there is a mod to put a fan in there cuz DAMN! Ever felt under the handle? It's hell on earth! But all -in-all, the thing has a respectable 8MB of VRAM so thats just enough to run a nice YouTube or Quicktime video as long as you got nothing else running.

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
... synching iPod Shuffle 2G, iPod 4G, and iPod Photo. ...
I couldn't help but notice this part of your post, ApeInTheShell. What's the speed on the syncing like? I imagine it would be quite painful, as it's only USB 1.1 on the G3s.

theritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 02:20 PM

I just bought an iMac G3 500Mhz (snow) from a friend of mine. Plugged in a USB BT dongle on the side and ordered 512 megs of PC100 memory (which was pretty expensive actually). The screen isn't in great shape after 8 years and is showing some jittery horizontal lines which are there all the time but are best visible against a white background. I can live with it: this is a classic and did it's job for almost a decade so no hard feelings here.
Right now I am at 10.4.11 with 384Mb's of RAM which is doable but not really as it should be. So that's why I bought the extra 512Mb.

After 2 years of Wintel machinery I am glad even with this really old machine. OS X is the best operating system for me, and I know quite a few of them (Unix, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Vista...the lot). And ofcourse the looks of Apple machines are just... fantastic!

varob
Location: @ The North Coast of USA = The South Shore of Lake Erie.........
Mar 3, 2008, 12:46 AM

@ sending this from the iMac 350 Blueberry w/ OS 9.2.2 = still runs like a classic Porsche 911 !!!!!!!!!
@ iMac 350 Blueberry + Ti PB 667 VGA + 20" iMac G4 1.25 MHz & iGo Stand = OK Still Doing What They Were Designed To Do + A Little Somewhat Extra !!!!!!!!!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by varob View Post
@ sending this from the iMac 350 Blueberry w/ OS 9.2.2 = still runs like a classic Porsche 911 !!!!!!!!!
Burns oil?

varob
Location: @ The North Coast of USA = The South Shore of Lake Erie.........
Mar 4, 2008, 03:49 PM

@ nope = only marks its territory like my dog
@ iMac 350 Blueberry + Ti PB 667 VGA + 20" iMac G4 1.25 MHz & iGo Stand = OK Still Doing What They Were Designed To Do + A Little Somewhat Extra !!!!!!!!!

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2008, 01:19 PM

My G3's are going strong. I use the Lime machine for light internet surfing while the Snow machine is used for importing and editing my favorite tv commercials.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2009, 02:04 AM

I have a 400Mhz G3 running Mac OS 9.2. We got it from someone who received about 20 from a school a while back. The machine is in perfect conditions and I was thinking to upgrade the 32mb of RAM and the 6gb hard drive that it has.

I've had to use it now for casual emailing, websurfing and IMing since Apple has my MacBook. The only thing I don't like are the old web browsers available for Mac OS 9.2 -- they are slow and plainful to use.

I still have the original keyboard and mouse that came with it. The keyboard has some sort of internal wiring problem but the mouse is in perfect conditions. Great little spherical mouse that one.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 02:14 AM

We have three iMacs: one new Intel C2D 2.66 GHz, a iMac G5 PPC from early 2005, and finally a G3 Indigo iMac 500 Mhz, which is running 10.3.9. Now that I got my wife off that one and moved her to the G5, I plan to update the G3 to Tiger. The only sign of age on the G3 is that the screen is a bit blurry when it is allowed to "cool down" (sleep or turned off), but it gets sharp again when it gets "warmed up," which can take a few minutes sometimes. So I guess the CRT is going to fail at some point, but it's running mostly modern software, including Office 2004, Adobe Photoshop Elements, etc. This iMac G3 is an summer 2001 model.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

mindwaves
Jan 5, 2009, 02:19 AM

I have an iMac DV indigo 1999 model that I will setup in my new house (whenever that will happen) mainly as an art piece. I am still sad that I sold my sage iMac DV+ (summer 2000 model).

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I have an iMac DV indigo 1999 model that I will setup in my new house (whenever that will happen) mainly as an art piece. I am still sad that I sold my sage iMac DV+ (summer 2000 model).
I'm still can't believe you did that

oh, and just to contribute on topic here....im typing this from a little 600MHz Graphite guy. 1GB RAM/ 128GB HD on 10.3.9 ....meh, its usable
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

ghostdawg
Feb 26, 2009, 04:20 AM

I recently bought a G3 iMac, 500mhz, slot-loading, 256mb, 20gb...It didn't have any OS so I installed Linux on it. I would like to put Tiger on it but I've read it needs OS9 to upgrade firmware.
G4 Mini | 1.25mhz | 512mb | 40gb | OS X 10.3.9 | 19in Hanns G LCD

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2009, 04:52 AM

If it doesn't have the latest firmware (and if it doesn't, you really should update it), yes, you need to install OS 9.

However, installing that can be as simple as just dragging a working "Classic" folder onto an external HFS+-formatted Firewire drive, and booting from that.

P
Feb 26, 2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
However, installing that can be as simple as just dragging a working "Classic" folder onto an external HFS+-formatted Firewire drive, and booting from that.
If you do that, you must drag the Finder out of the system folder to the desktop (or whatever) and then drop it back in. This will update the boot blocks so the OS can be found when starting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2009, 10:21 AM

*Might* not be necessary.

Although, of course, doing all this from an Intel Mac, or onto a disk formatted from an Intel Mac, might render it useless, anyway.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2009, 12:01 PM

So, how's Safari 4 on the G3s?

It's a humungous boost on G4s, but I wonder how much of that is due to Altivec.

Forum Links
Forum Rules