Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight stopped working

Spotlight stopped working
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 07:56 AM

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I just tried to find an e-mail on Apple Mail using the search function and didn't get any results, and I WAS sure I had that particular e-mail somewhere... so I started looking for it and found it.
So yesterday I tried to search for a particular file via spotlight and didn't get any results again...
I went to Spotlight preferences and everything looked ok... but I'm almost sure spotlight is not working on my machine...
What could I have done to make it stop working? What should I do to have it back?
Thanks!
10.4.8 on a MacBook.
Think Diferente!

Kanga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 08:17 AM

Spotlight won’t work? Fix a broken Spotlight menu with these troubleshooting tips (Linky)

Today my SpotLight started playing up for no apparent reason. If I hit Command + Spacebar or click on the SpotLight icon in the far right of the menu bar .... absolutely nothing happens except for the icon becoming highlighted for a second or two.

I tried the tip for my exact issue posted at the above link and hey presto! My SpotLight is back online again!

Hope there's a happy ending here for you too, jeronimo!

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply Kanga but it didn't work for me...
I tried the Terminal thing but I got the "index not found on this volume" message, tried to "Reset Spotlight Index" via Onyx and didn't work either...
Anyone else?
Think Diferente!

Kanga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 05:50 AM

Tutorial: Troubleshooting Spotlight

Maybe there's a solution via the above link? The Terminal method is slightly different I noted.

I also uncovered the following:

For people uncomfortable with using command line, etc., another way to delete a volume's Spotlight index is to open the Spotlight prefpane, and drag the volume to Spotlight's "Privacy" window. The index will be deleted immediately. To get Spotlight to re-index the volume, remove it from the Privacy list.
( Last edited by Kanga; May 23, 2007 at 06:00 AM. )

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 12:13 PM

hey guys,

yesterday I downloaded SpotLess and I found out that spotlight, somehow, was OFF. Not working at all!
I don't know how this happened since I never turned it off...
Anyway, I used the application to turn it on again, re-started, it rebuilt the index and everything is fine now!
Thanks a LOT for your help!!!
Think Diferente!

Kanga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 08:24 AM

Great news jeronimo! Thanks for the heads up on SpotLess .... have to bookmark it now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules