Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini iSight options

Mac mini iSight options
feldmeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2007, 10:27 PM

I bought my daughter a Mac mini with a lovely 22 inch screen. Of course, it doesn't include an iSight camera and she's less excited than she was 24 hours ago. Are there good 3rd party options for a webcam/microphone that people recommend? Thanks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 10:37 PM

youll be better off asking this question in the consumer hardware forum.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2007, 02:21 PM

Yes, might be better to ask in the more appropriate forum, but for now I can help some..

As of 10.4.9, OS X has built in support for USB webcams. The catch is, they must be UVC compliant (USB Video Class). So look for this on the box/specs.. However, even cheap cams like the USB Xbox 360 vision cam are UVC compliant. And sure enough, this works on macs right out of the box with nothing to install. But there is a catch there too.. I dont believe this cam has a mic (Someone correct me if I am wrong).
Besides this, there are quite a few UVC spec cams available, so take a browse around. They dont have to be UVC spec of course, but then you'd need to be certain the cam is supplied with Mac drivers. Which some are, but not lots by any means. So the UVC thing is quite helpful to us Mac users.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 02:26 PM

I know it's too late but an iMac would have been a more viable solution for the OP's daughter since it's more powerful than the mini with a 20" screen with built-in iSight cam for $1199 U.S.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules