Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 61)
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 10:48 PM

Yeah, Kira was great.

I just hope Nana dumped the blonde hair that she went with after DS9 finished filming. It didn't look right...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 11:16 PM

reader50
Administrator
Aug 31, 2007, 01:47 AM

Nice catch, Eug.

You did forget the link (US Amazon) and prices.

US$69.95 HD-DVD (December 4)
US$48.99 regular DVD version

The run time is listed at 756 minutes, same as the regular DVD release. But it does claim to be remastered. Assuming no new materials, it works out to a 43% premium for the high definition version.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 04:24 AM

BSG is one of the few tv programs where its worth getting the HD copy. Wish it was Blu-Ray
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Nice catch, Eug.

You did forget the link (US Amazon) and prices.

US$69.95 HD-DVD (December 4)
US$48.99 regular DVD version

The run time is listed at 756 minutes, same as the regular DVD release. But it does claim to be remastered. Assuming no new materials, it works out to a 43% premium for the high definition version.
Already have it preordered, and it's definitely worth the upgrade. Thank God it's on HD DVD.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 11:24 AM

Can't watch the tailer in Canada though. Dumb asses.

SCIFI.COM | Battlestar Galactica Razor DVD

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 02:25 PM

And there's now a chance that iTunes won't be carrying Season 4. I don't know how I'll watch it now.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 02:36 PM

^ SirCastor: i'm having the same issue. I just dont have time to watch it when it airs.. I just want my iTunes Season 4 Pass

Dammit the same thing will happen to SG Atlantis

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
And there's now a chance that iTunes won't be carrying Season 4. I don't know how I'll watch it now.
Not really a chance - right now it's a certainty.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yep, season 3 brought with it the single coolest moment in TV history - when Galactica jumped in and out of the atmosphere of New Caprica.

Can't wait to see that when it comes out in HD.
Oh man I was just thinking about that exact episode today! I remember watching that scene where Adama pulled that move dropping into atmosphere and then jumping out. I just sat there with a huge smile on my face. I remember thinking "that was the coolest damn move I've ever seen".

That whole episode was great. Loved the battle at the end and the sacrifice of Pegasus.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
^ SirCastor: i'm having the same issue. I just dont have time to watch it when it airs.. I just want my iTunes Season 4 Pass

Dammit the same thing will happen to SG Atlantis
Yeah, but would you have paid 250% of what you paid last year? Ouch.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Not really a chance - right now it's a certainty.
Nah. I don't think it's certain. I've read a few times now that NBC is probably just posturing for negotiations. They didn't want to be tied up into another year without some bargaining leverage, so their threatening to pull their stuff to get a little more. I still have hope.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 12:25 PM

Season 3 DVD is not due until Spring 2008.

And...Sci-Fi may split season 4: 10 episodes in 2008; 10 episodes in 2009

Per TV Guide
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 19, 2007, 01:25 PM

Cute. We can wait an extra year for the rest of the season-which would already be completed. So the money people will be happier.

Hopefully the later release of Season 3 DVDs means they are going to take more time and get it right.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Season 3 DVD is not due until Spring 2008.

And...Sci-Fi may split season 4: 10 episodes in 2008; 10 episodes in 2009

Per TV Guide
That better be false as that all sounds ****ing retarded.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 28, 2007, 05:28 PM

There is another Razor preview available.

For those interested in some pain, the last season of the original Galactica is coming. Amazon has Galactica 1980 on Dec 26 for US$19.99.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2007, 06:30 PM

There is another Razor preview available.

For those interested in some pain, the last season of the original Galactica is coming. Amazon has Galactica 1980 on Dec 26 for US$19.99.
Yeah, there were like three episodes that I bothered watching the whole way through... Cool premises aren't so cool if you don't follow through effectively.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2007, 10:57 AM

Galactica 1980 sucked donkeys balls, but that's just IMO.

P.S. They're charging way too much for Razor on HD DVD (Dec. 4.). It's frickin' $42 on Amazon (MSRP $60)!

WTF? All of Season 1 on HD DVD is only $70.

I'm considering buying Season 1, but I don't know if I really want to, considering I already have the DVD set.

---

( Last edited by Eug; Sep 30, 2007 at 09:56 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
WTF? All of Season 1 on HD DVD is only $70.
That is still a bit high as it is only 12 episodes.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
That is still a bit high as it is only 12 episodes.
Yeah, maybe, but at least the Season 1 HD DVD set includes the miniseries. Not much HD exclusive content though.

Disc Features:
• Audio Commentary on the Complete Miniseries
• Audio Commentaries on Nine Episodes
• Encyclopedia Galactica: An interactive guide including ships, characters, colonies and flight training manual
• Featurettes: "From Miniseries to Series," "Change Is Good, Now They're Babes," "The Cylon Centurion," "Future/Past Technology," "The Doctor Is Out (Of His Mind)," "Production," "Visual Effects," "Epilogue"
• Deleted Scenes
• Still Galleries: "Sketches and Art"

HD Exclusive Content:
• Picture-in-Picture Commentary -- Behind the Scenes of the Mini-Series

P.S. There seems to be some confusion with Razor for an HD DVD release. Some are claiming that Amazon is mistaken, and that it will only be on DVD.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 30, 2007 at 10:01 AM. )

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2007, 05:43 PM

Just a heads up. Stargate Atlantis, Season 4 is on iTunes after all. Hopefully the same will happen with BSG.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 2, 2007, 06:05 PM

NBC/Universal's contract goes until sometime in December. I'd hate to have the season become unavailable at the end of the year. We may be able to tell if the episodes are for sale, but no season pass.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2007, 06:11 PM

well stargate atlantis has season pass. of course, is owned by MGM not NBC.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 15, 2007, 11:52 AM

My observations & nitpicks on Crossroads 1 & 2

It took a while to get around to this. Partly because I didn't like the music in part 2, partly because the trial didn't seem like a great choice for an end-of-season cliffhanger, and mostly because I didn't like the 4 Cylons who were revealed. They broke the rules we'd so carefully worked out before, and it felt like cheating for the writers to invent new rules just to surprise us.

So I gave it some time, and came back to it. It's not as bad as it appeared. Well, the music still is, and the trial. But the rest fits decently.

-------------------------
Crossroads 1

• They are approaching the Ionian Nebula, which is established in Rapture to be 13,000 light years away. Since Colonial craft are limited to 5 LY per jump (this is the Red Line distance), this means they have jumped at least 2,600 times since the end of Rapture. If they jump once per hour for 12 hours each day, then 7+ months have passed since the end of Rapture. If they did one jump per hour on all watches (24 hours per day), then 3-4 months have passed. The absolute minimum is a jump every 33 minutes, which would make 60 days. They didn't push nearly that hard, and had distractions along the way. So I'm assuming approximately 6 months have passed.

Note: any craft can jump further than 5 LY, but when you do so, you get accumulated navigation error. You end up away from your target coordinates. The distance you can jump in one shot is limited by how well you can calculate all the factors involved. Cylon ships have a more distant Red Line because they have more powerful jump computers.

• Galactica drops off Raptor 289 for trailing guard duty, and jumps away with the fleet. The visual appearance of this sequence is great, and clearly shows Galactica jump with the flight pods fully extended. They haven't made that error since the Miniseries.

Levels are kicked up in the 2nd shot, to make the flight pods more visible.

• Baltar's trial mostly worked over the signature on the death list. This wasn't the best choice, since no one was there to see if he really signed it. If the signature was forged, or under duress. Instead, they could have charged him with assorted other claims (outlined in previous posts) which they had decent evidence for.

One of the better possible charges: collaboration against the Colonies. The Cylons crossed paths twice with the Fleet after New Caprica. Once at the Lion's Head Nebula, and later at the Algae Planet. They crossed paths because both fleets were following Baltar's notes on the next steps towards finding Earth. At the Lion's Head, a captured sick Simon admitted in front of witnesses about Baltar: "He's helping us find Earth". (A Measure of Salvation)

• The fuel ship (the Daru Mozu) has a unique radiation signature. ie: it leaks unstable isotopes that give off neutrons. It doesn't make sense to track this. Solo neutrons decay into hydrogen with a half-life of 14.75 minutes. Even if the neutrons were travelling at near lightspeed, in 24 hours they decay to 1 part per million, in addition to the 3-D physical dispersion. The Cylons would have to canvass an arc 5 LY ahead of each past jump, trying to come within a solar-system-size bubble of the Fleet's previous position, and hope to pick up such a signature. They'd be more likely to pick up open wireless signals - those have a 2-D dispersion with distance without any additional decay to factor in.

• Tigh hits up Caprica Six for how the fleet is being tracked. She hits back. The guards react, pointing 3 rifles at her. Trouble is, only two guards entered the cell with Saul. The 3rd guard clearly locked the door from the outside, and the door isn't heard to open after she hits back. The 3rd gun barrel appears to be held by someone on the farther right, but we don't get to see anyone holding it.

-------------------------
Crossroads 2

• With Starbuck absent, Racetrack has taken over nugget training. The duty should have fallen to Kat, but since she's gone too, it would go to Apollo next. He's been pulled from CAG duty onto the trial. Athena appears to be senior to Racetrack in the Raptor ranks, since Racetrack had to ride 2nd seat to Athena for awhile when there were too many pilots for Raptors.

However, if Boomer's memories are not counted, then Racetrack certainly has more flight hours than Athena. Maybe Athena only has seniority over Racetrack when Helo is XO. More likely, it would be a bad political choice to have a Cylon giving nuggets instruction on how to fly or kill other Cylons.

• The Fleet all loses power just after arriving at the nebula. I'm thinking their forward momentum carried them through a physical zone. They all regained power when their momentum carried them through the other side of the interferance zone. I'm thinking the Cylon ships that arrived will enter the no-power zone too and be paralyzed for ... 5-10 minutes? The same length of time the Fleet was without power, however long that was.

Vipers approaching would lose power themselves. However, fire from Galactica's main guns would be impossible to intercept since the baseships would have nearly every system down. The firing range would be much higher than usual, but uncountered fire could still do a lot of damage.

• Adm Adama ordered all nukes loaded. Those probably wouldn't activate in a no-power zone, but if the battle takes place without power failures, things could get pretty hot.

• A baseship is unaccounted for. In Crossroads 1, the trailing Raptor noted 5 baseships before jumping away. Only 4 showed up in the Nebula, so where did the 5th one go? Maybe holding back to guard the resurrection ship, or maybe jumped ahead and lying in wait.

• Starbuck's viper has gotten some service. It's all polished up, with fresh paint. It gleams in the light, the paint is so clean. It was beaten up when it vanished in Maelstrom. However, the name plate is missing. So are the caution logos & text. This suggests a replacement viper. Or a viper stripped to the bare metal, then incompletely repainted.

• The Milky Way shot is heavily overexposed, so it's hard to tell for sure. But it looks wrong. It appears to show a spiral galaxy with close-in spiral arms.

The Milky Way is a barred spiral, with fairly wide loose arms. Below is a computer construction (copied from wikipedia) done in 2005 of what the Milky Way looks like from the outside. There has been some further telescope work done since, but the simulation should still be reasonably close.

• The shot of Earth. I tried to figure the date from the picture, but the results are unclear. The continental outline looks current, so the date is within a million years of today. Sea level is about the same as today, because Florida looks about the same. The Florida penninsula would grow or shrink dramatically with moderate changes in sea level.

This means the Earth shown is in an interglacial with ice deposits about the same as ours' today. During ice ages, sea level falls over 400 feet (120 M), whereas a full ice meltoff would raise sea level ~250 feet (75 M). However, the polar ice pack appears to be melted in the picture. That wouldn't affect sea level, but temps warm enough to melt the arctic ice pack should also melt the west antarctic ice sheet. That would raise sea level ~20 feet (6 M), and make Florida visibly smaller with an altered shoreline.

The date isn't today, unless I'm just overlooking the arctic ice pack. It isn't any time in the past 100,000 years, since the icepack was present during all of that time. It could be a few years in the future, up to any number of thousand years into the future, depending on what climate assumptions you make.

• The new Cylons.

Ok, for starters, the Final Five would more properly be called the First Five. The seven visible models don't know who the Final Five are, so the visibles do not have access to their own design records. The F5 must have restricted that data, so the later models never saw it. It would not make sense for the Final Five to actually have been made last. All the other models would know the F5 specs in that case.

It now looks like a key assumption we made earlier was wrong. The humanoid Cylons were not developed after the Armistice during the missing 40 years. At least not all of them. The Cylons began their development during the first war, which appears to be supported by the Razor flashback previews.

This is required to explain Saul Tigh. He remembers fighting in the first war, but he didn't meet William Adama until after, when Adama had been mustered out. Adama later managed to get back into the military, and presently pulled Saul in too - these details were revealed in the Saul flashbacks at the beginning of Season 2.

So Saul didn't actually fight in the first war, he was being grown in a vat at the time. Or something like that. It's also worth noting that during "33", Boomer and Tigh were not affected much by the sleep deprivation. Everyone else we saw (except Head Six) was affected far more.

Andurs' athletic prowess is explained. However, he did catch pnuemonia on New Caprica. Apparently, the Cylons hadn't finished redesigning the immune system for the first batch of humanoid models. This suggests all the F5 are likely to be closer to the normal human physique.

There are multiple copies of the first 5, just like the later models. Reason: three of the four revealed so far are too young. While Saul must be from the very first batch, Andurs/Tory/Tyrol had to have been grown decades later. Since they are still in production, it's a fair bet they resurrect too, because such a critical feature would have been added if it were missing. Note that this is not a safe assumption with Saul himself. He wasn't made by Apple, but he's still a first-gen release. Later copies of him ought to have the resurrection feature, but we don't know for sure if he does.

Saul hasn't resurrected in decades, so other copies will have a younger age. If we get to see any of them in Season 4, they will either need to cast a new actor, or do a heck of a facelift. Note: Saul's new status means the Cylons did not break the Armistice 2.5-5 years before the attack, when agents like Boomer & Six were inserted. They broke the Armistice the day it was signed. The Cylons never fully pulled out at all.

• The activation key - the song. It was being transmitted wirelessly. It first gets noted on a stereo set in the bar, which is located in the Starboard flight pod. Saul hears it during the trial when no wireless set was present - the trial is being held in a converted room of the Starboard hanger deck. The Chief & Andurs note it in the Port flight pod, during nugget training. Saul & Tyrol note it more clearly in the main structure, such as in their quarters.

Analysis: the five (maybe all Cylon models) can pick up some wireless signals, since a wireless set was present only in the bar. The signal was originating somewhere in the main ship, and was being conducted through the ship's metal structure. The flight pods had the worst reception because of their relative isolation.

Some other agent planted the transmitter, which we didn't have pointed out to us. The room they all congregated in is the exercise/training room, but only emergency lights were running at the time, so it wasn't possible to look the place over very well. If the transmitter was in the room, it could have looked like almost anything. I took a few snapshots and punched the light levels up, but there was nothing obvious visible. I was hoping to spot one of the Cylon transponders from Season 1.

• Who is the last Cylon? The known ranks are already unbalanced, with 4 girls and 7 guys revealed. I'd have expected to end up with six of each. As it is:
Girls: D'Anna, Sharon, Six, Tory Foster
Guys: Cavil, Doral, Leoben, Simon, Andurs, Tigh, Tyrol
Girl, sort of: The Hybrid. But "she" doesn't seem to be mobile, or counted by the other Cylons.

The last humanoid model ought to be a girl, or it will go even farther out of balance. Ellen can be ruled out, since Baltar tested her in Season 1. He claimed he'd never tell what the real result was, but he'd have told D'Anna in the baseship if he knew the identity of one of the Final Five. Balter didn't mention anything, so Ellen did test as a human.

Starbuck is a rather obvious choice - too obvious for my tastes. Roslyn would be very unsatisfying. In particular, there would be no need to work a mole into Roslyn's inner circle if she were one already. My guess is Dualla. Cylons seem to have fertility problems even with humans, and her sack time with Apollo didn't produce any surprises. Perhaps true love wasn't present. Dee was also the one who talked Adama into reuniting the fleet after Kobol; a necessary step in the search for Earth. When Galactica was boarded by centurians, Dee was the only survivor left when those around her were killed. That was never explained, since she wasn't exactly hidden.

• There are outside parties interfering in events. It's a safe bet that other Final Fives are one such outside group, and are probably responsible for Head Six, Head Baltar, and Shelley Godfrey in Season 1. I'm not sure if they have anything to do with Starbuck's vacation. If Starbuck knows where Earth is, and the Final Five are behind her journey, then some Cylons already know where Earth is. This suggests Kara was grabbed by a different group.

Another unaccounted-for group is the original generation of Cylons. The ones during the first war, all the Centurion 0005s, along with other pre-war models. Most of these should still be functional today, but we haven't seen one outside of a museum. I suspect they got their programs transferred into the human models, but since the visible models don't know much about their own development, this suggests a bunch of memories got erased during the transfers. Those transfers might have been done at gunpoint.

• It's looking like the Final Five are trying to move Cylon evolution along for the other models. Nudging them towards becoming real people. Doesn't seem like they are doing a good job, outside of a very few like Caprica Six. Most Cylons still don't have moral qualms about shooting at innocent humans, and there is the whole 20-billion-murders mistake to avoid talking about.

They aren't doing such a hot job helping Baltar either. Baltar seems more screwed up than when he started, so it's doubtful if Head Six has been beneficial to his character. She has given him help, but he's still spoiled and irresponsible. I do think he's human. Head Six essentially told him so during the suicide attempt.

--------------------------

OK, that's what I got from these two episodes. I rate them Fair overall, but it depends a lot on how the story continues in the Season 4 opening. The Fair part mostly comes from the trial being a weak way to close out the season. They ought to convict, but if they do, we lose Baltar & Head Six before the show is finished. That would be a blessing for the Colonials, but less fun for us viewers.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 12:12 PM

reader50 if the "final 5" are just 1.0 models why are they appearing in visions, 3000 year old temples as priests who worship "the ones who's name can never be spoken" and the cylons consider them to live in a place between life and death?

Not to mention Tai is 30 years older than the rest of them and 30 years is a REALLY long time in a technology standpoint to come out with the remaining 4 models with little or no improvements.

Also I think it is pretty obvious that starbuck is some sort of vision and not flying around in a new painted viper. The Podcast mention they just wanted her to appear suddenly out of thin air in Lee's quarters but they thought that would be too out there so they put her in a viper. They writers also hinted when Starbuck "died" that "Starbuck" would be back but not necessarily as Kara making it sound as "Starbuck" is some sort of Indian guide showing them the way home over same old Kara with the secret path to earth.

Also transmitter on board or not how would the song be an earth song but not exactly the same earth song. Again the writers hinted it is NOT the exact watchtower song we know on earth but there is a reason earths culture and the colonies would have such close similarities and ties.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

Tigh is a 1.0 version, there may have been some bugfix revs for the others. Other Tighs made later would likely have any fixes too. I think Tigh came out first, and they finished development of all the humanoid models in the next 10 years or so. There hasn't been continuing humanoid development since then, most of the missing 40 years were the existing models doing R&D on new baseships, etc. Building stuff, and settling worlds.

The show has never shown that the Temple of Five is referring to the Cylon's F5, it's just interesting that the same number applies. I'll worry about that if they show a connection; in the meantime, don't assume every iteration of a 5 refers to the F5. Five is a common number. If we automatically signify any Five, then the Arron Dorals (Number Five) must be in charge of everything.

For Cylons, the place "between life and death" is the buffer in the resurrection ship. A resurrection ship will have the patterns of all models on file. Since Cylons are computer code, and get buffered in a computer system, it makes sense that D'Anna might see some other models - that data is reasonably within range.

Re Starbuck: check the previews for Season 4 that are coming out. Starbuck seems to be back in the flesh. Enough to be knocked to the deck and accused of being a Cylon.

Re the watchtower song: RDM has answered some questions on that, but mostly by not saying much. Bear McCreary (BSG composer) has said more.
Originally Posted by Bear McCreary blog
I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 01:42 PM

Some early reviews for Razor are out and about.

There be spoilers, in varying degrees, in the reviews--1 or 2 that carry over to season 4:

TV Squad
Eclipse Magazine
IGN

Also, the weekly Razor preview clips are up at Sci-Fi.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 03:08 PM

• The activation key - the song. It was being transmitted wirelessly. It first gets noted on a stereo set in the bar, which is located in the Starboard flight pod. Saul hears it during the trial when no wireless set was present - the trial is being held in a converted room of the Starboard hanger deck. The Chief & Andurs note it in the Port flight pod, during nugget training. Saul & Tyrol note it more clearly in the main structure, such as in their quarters.

Analysis: the five (maybe all Cylon models) can pick up some wireless signals, since a wireless set was present only in the bar. The signal was originating somewhere in the main ship, and was being conducted through the ship's metal structure. The flight pods had the worst reception because of their relative isolation.
Or it could still be plain old sound waves, at a low volume and/or intermittent and or encoded, with the cylon brains piecing them back together.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 16, 2007, 01:31 PM

I took another look at Kara's viper. It has a distinctive feature at the end of Mealstrom. A hole in the windscreen. The centurions in the heavy raider didn't toss a beer can out the window as they passed, they were firing at her. And they got a hit.

As you can see, there is no beer can visible. It's a regular hit.

When she comes back at the Nebula, it's very hard to get a clean picture of the windscreen. This is as close as I could get for a clear shot, and it's still at a bad angle. The hole isn't visible, but it might not be from this angle.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 03:58 PM

I just want to add that the new iChat background-detection feature is really fun. And being able to drag-and-drop any video file as your background for an iChat totally rocks

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 01:19 PM

Here is another mystery. How did the Cylons get "Potatoes and Carrots" on new caprica that look just like the ones on earth and even have the same name? Are these things standard on all planets?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 19, 2007, 01:27 PM

Where did that turn up? I missed it, and you must mean the humanoid Cylons. I can't picture the Centurions needing carrots for their eyesight, or using potatoes to make hooch for Tigh.

andi*pandi
Oct 19, 2007, 01:40 PM

I would assume the same way they had food at all, it had been brought long ago from earth as seeds and planted whereever they landed. I suppose they might have to thank whoever it was that stocked the greenhouse ship?

why are they speaking english? why do they play cards? why do they wear clothes?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
why are they speaking english? why do they play cards? why do they wear clothes?
How do we know that they speak English?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 02:10 PM

Because we can understand what they're saying???

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 02:15 PM

I know I am nitpicking but it is in the first episode of season 3.

When Leoben is living with Starbuck he cooks for her and says "Potatoes, gravy, even some carrots".
At least there is no RC Cola or Ketchup.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 19, 2007, 03:52 PM

I'd assume the Cylons did not bring the food. More likely they lifted (taxed) it from farms on New Caprica. There is some tie-in with us, for example, a little girl mentions chicken pie in the miniseries. The producers have dropped hints since, but have yet to reveal how the BSG universe relates to Earth.

Is anyone else thinking the unnamed greens might be the "New Caprican Leaf"? But he didn't provide any papers for rolling.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2007, 02:12 AM

Tonight's Razor flashback was pretty frakking cool.

I really need to catch up on this thread.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

I always wondered why they drive HUMMERs

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 08:48 PM

I have a feeling the last unrevealed cylon is Starbuck's mother.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Here is another mystery. How did the Cylons get "Potatoes and Carrots" on new caprica that look just like the ones on earth and even have the same name? Are these things standard on all planets?
In Babylon 5 they reveal that every alien race has a dish that looks and tastes exactly like Swedish Meatballs.

Really. Makes. You. Think.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2007, 11:23 PM

Breen!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 21, 2007, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Tonight's Razor flashback was pretty frakking cool.

I really need to catch up on this thread.
Whoa.

Were those screams I heard after the Columbia blew up?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 21, 2007, 01:35 PM

I noticed that sound too, and was thinking it was Cylons cheering on the wireless channel.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 02:51 PM

Tigh is a 1.0 version, there may have been some bugfix revs for the others. Other Tighs made later would likely have any fixes too. I think Tigh came out first, and they finished development of all the humanoid models in the next 10 years or so. There hasn't been continuing humanoid development since then, most of the missing 40 years were the existing models doing R&D on new baseships, etc. Building stuff, and settling worlds.
My guess is that the final five are 0.1 versions. I'm also guessing that they represent some sort of bridge between the Cylons and the humans while not really being either.

andi*pandi
Oct 22, 2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by pinenuts View Post
Were those screams I heard after the Columbia blew up?
I thought so. I started to wonder how the sound could be heard, whether it was in space (impossible) or whether adama was hooked into columbia's sound system... then I quickly suspended disbelief and went with it.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2007, 02:17 PM

I just watched it again, and I'm pretty sure the screaming is coming over the wireless. The screams break up while being transmitted. Of course, everything else in the BSG universe makes noise in the vacuum of space, so who knows? We all know what it sounds like when Galactica's railguns fire or a Raider goes humming by, so maybe the writers forgot everything they learned in high school physics and think sound travels better in the vacuum of space. Maybe they should have watched a previous war in space show in which Gunny Ermey would have explained that "In space, no one can hear you scream. Unless it's the battle cry of a United States Marine Corp Space Aviator".
Nemo me impune lacesset

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 01:37 PM

Final season begins: April 2008.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2007, 01:49 PM

April? Screw that. Things like this are the reason that I stop watching shows altogether, especially the serial variety. If you want to hook people in for long, multi-year story arcs, I think it would be a good idea to not dick people around and make them wait ridiculously long periods between seasons. A full year between seasons is completely unacceptable, and if this is true, they more than likely lost me. And without a doubt I'm done if they split season 4 between 08 and 09. I have a short attention span and I'm too old to change my nature.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Oct 26, 2007 at 01:56 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2007, 02:24 PM

SciFi had better not start pulling this **** with Atlantis too.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules