Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard on a first g 12-inch PB

Leopard on a first g 12-inch PB
bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 10:09 AM

I've looked a bit and can't find anything on this and this may be in the wrong forum. BUT -- anyone else planning to install Leopard on a first generation 12-inch PB? They came out in 2003 (January/February) and I'm still using mine. The machine is at the bare minimum for Leopard, with an 867 processor. In fact, I think I saw something about the DVD player and the processor is BELOW that spec.

My copy of Leopard is pre-ordered, and my new iMac of course will be fine. But I'm wondering about the PB and if I should just leave that at Tiger.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I've looked a bit and can't find anything on this and this may be in the wrong forum. BUT -- anyone else planning to install Leopard on a first generation 12-inch PB? They came out in 2003 (January/February) and I'm still using mine. The machine is at the bare minimum for Leopard, with an 867 processor. In fact, I think I saw something about the DVD player and the processor is BELOW that spec.

My copy of Leopard is pre-ordered, and my new iMac of course will be fine. But I'm wondering about the PB and if I should just leave that at Tiger.
I would leave Tiger on it. The RAM requirements alone will make the machine feel sluggish, considering the max they can hold is 640MB. I was going to take mine to 10.5 but will just upgrade my MacBook and iMac instead.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 09:36 AM

Having seen a Leopard developers' version run on a 700 MHz iMac G4 with far too little RAM, I'd upgrade immediately.

MUCH faster in Leopard.

And you can take the PBook up to 1.25 GB of RAM, which is more than enough.

Do it.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2007, 11:33 AM

Im going to put it on my 2nd gen 1ghz 12" PowerBook shortly. From what I have read, it should be pretty good. And quite possibly faster than Tiger??
768mb of ram in mine. A little tight perhaps, but its a 4 year old Mac now that im not sure is worth spending more money on. So 768mb will have to do.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 03:04 PM

thanks for the responses. I saw the item about the guy putting it on a 700 MH iMac, which was intriguing. However, I think I'll wait till a few others try it!

Got my copy of Leopard and cannot do a thing until tomorrow in any case. Too many outside commitments today/tonight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules