Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another cop killed in Broward, 3 in 3 months(Broward/Dade)..

Another cop killed in Broward, 3 in 3 months(Broward/Dade)..
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2007, 06:37 PM

Local News, Weather, TV Schedules, Entertainment - WTVJ | Miami - NBC Channel 6'

A Deputy transporting a loser from prison to court for his hearing on an armed robbery charge was murdered today. Somehow the inmate got into a struggle with the deputy and got his revolver, shooting him fatally. The deputy was a father and grandfather. This is the third killing of a cop in the past three months.
Pretty fscked up.

My drive to work this morning was insane, I go through 4 cities to get to work in Fort Lauderdale, and BSO and other LEOs were buzzing about everywhere you looked. I counted like 12 helicopters hovering over Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.
Reeal scumbag..

Local News, Weather, TV Schedules, Entertainment - WTVJ | Miami - NBC Channel 6'
ice

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2007, 10:59 PM

that really sucks. people who kills cops are in-between cockroaches and that white stuff that accumulates in the corer of your mouth when you sleep on my respect list.

respect as in don't like

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2007, 11:05 PM

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Nov 8, 2007, 01:41 AM

well if the cops stopped being cops and stopped arresting people

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
that really sucks. people who kills cops are in-between cockroaches and that white stuff that accumulates in the corer of your mouth when you sleep on my respect list.

respect as in don't like
Why are cop-killers worse than any other kind of killer?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Somehow the inmate got into a struggle with the deputy and got his revolver, shooting him fatally. The deputy was a father and grandfather.
... and really slow on the draw.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2007, 03:23 AM

Well the whole thing is: why the hell would he have pulled over the van and gotten out AND opened the back of the transport vehicle?? The guy possibly faked a heart attack or severe pain of some kind, asking for assistance or something.

Yeah, the deputy was pretty old, who knows though what went down.

Cipher, killing a cop is worse than killing a crackhead who won't get a job. Additionally it's more sad when a grandfather, father, family man, provider, whatever, is murdered.

Your life really is like the guys of Metalocalypse, eh?
ice

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2007, 05:51 AM

Cipher, killing a cop is worse than killing a crackhead who won't get a job. Additionally it's more sad when a grandfather, father, family man, provider, whatever, is murdered.

Your life really is like the guys of Metalocalypse, eh?
'course it is. Killing a dog is worse than killing a jobless, worthless crackhead. Why is it worse than killing a non-cop contributing member of society, though?

I also have no idea what Metalocalypse is.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Killing a dog is worse than killing a jobless, worthless crackhead.
Oh really?
What about jobless dogs?
Cats on crack?
Old people?
KKK members?

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Oh really?
What about jobless dogs?
Cats on crack?
Old people?
KKK members?

I'm pretty much okay with dogs. Cats, not so much, but I digress... some people seem to like them. Old people deserve a break. KKK members should be shot on the spot... including old KKK members.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 8, 2007, 07:23 AM

What about old KKK members that don't believe in it's teachings anymore.

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What about old KKK members that don't believe in it's teachings anymore.
By old KKK members, I meant aged KKK members (current). Not ex-KKK members.

Anyway, this thread is about that cop, and it is tragic. Let's not derail it further.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 08:15 AM

Cipher, killing a cop is worse than killing a crackhead who won't get a job.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I just adjust my moral compass accordingly.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 08:40 AM

Charles Manson

or

Benny Hinn?

I can't decide.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Nov 8, 2007, 02:36 PM

This is a sad week...so far this week 4 police officers have died in the line of duty. I have a deep hearted respect for the "other guys in blue". I'm proud to say I work side by side with them everyday. They are only human like us...nothing makes them different until they put that badge on. They have wife and kids and some even have grand kids. I sometimes wonder why we hate the very people that protect us and don't care if we are black or white, rich or poor. Their job is to help us when we call them.

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
This is a sad week...so far this week 4 police officers have died in the line of duty. I have a deep hearted respect for the "other guys in blue". I'm proud to say I work side by side with them everyday. They are only human like us...nothing makes them different until they put that badge on. They have wife and kids and some even have grand kids. I sometimes wonder why we hate the very people that protect us and don't care if we are black or white, rich or poor. Their job is to help us when we call them.
EDIT: Nevermind. I'm working on being nice to people. Starting with you.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 02:48 PM

good to hear cipher

i want to add a thought.

police are our protectors whether we like them or not. the kind of jackass that would kill any kind of protector should be beaten to an inch of their life on the spot; and then be tried for murder.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2007, 03:45 PM

Yea, they are protectors. They protect us. That's why it's sad when they die cipher.

oh, and:

Metalocalypse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(great show!)
ice

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Nov 8, 2007, 04:55 PM

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm working on being nice to people. Starting with you.
what did I say that would offend you?

Cipher13
Nov 9, 2007, 03:12 AM

what did I say that would offend you?
Only because you asked...

They are only human like us...nothing makes them different until they put that badge on.
Nothing makes them different even when they've got that badge on.

They have wife and kids and some even have grand kids.
As do teachers, scientists, secretaries, ad infinitum.

I sometimes wonder why we hate the very people that protect us and don't care if we are black or white, rich or poor. Their job is to help us when we call them.
This is the bit that got me. Sorry, but since when did cops become angelic creatures? I've found *most* cops are power hungry, racist, ignorant fools. To the credit of those that aren't that way, I've also met many that are extremely nice, but they're in an unfortunate minority.

Idealism is all when and good as long as you know it's nothing more than a fairytale, but seriously, where the hell did you pull all that crap from?

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2007, 03:23 AM

I think iranfromthezoo is a fireman, they're like brothers to the police.

Also, the deputy that was killed was an old, nice guy, they even read some letters from inmates that talked about what a decent human being he was.

I don't like cops as much as the next guy(I may even dislike them more) but you don't aim to kill them. It's their job to protect the general population from bad guys, and that's certainly admirable.
ice

Cipher13
Nov 9, 2007, 03:27 AM

I think iranfromthezoo is a fireman, they're like brothers to the police.

Also, the deputy that was killed was an old, nice guy, they even read some letters from inmates that talked about what a decent human being he was.

I don't like cops as much as the next guy(I may even dislike them more) but you don't aim to kill them. It's their job to protect the general population from bad guys, and that's certainly admirable.
A lot of the time, what they do to "protect" the population does more damage than those they're punishing did. Cops are lemmings, following the word of the law without thinking about it for themselves, mostly.

But you're probably right about this guy.

Either way, I have far more respect for firefighters than for cops... far more selfless, IMO.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 03:31 AM

A lot of the time, what they do to "protect" the population does more damage than those they're punishing did. Cops are lemmings, following the word of the law without thinking about it for themselves, mostly.
Some cops are like this. We call them Barney Fife's. Some are not.

When a cop sucks, most of the town he "rules" as they usually put it know it. And if something bad happens to him, no big deal is made.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Nov 9, 2007, 09:53 AM

Cipher...

I understand where your coming from...The majority of cops I know are sort of brainwashed into that thinking in academy. Honestly...if a cop is acting like a jerk how do you know that they just didnt have to tell the parents of a 17 year old boy and 14 year girl that their kids were dead? I understand where your coming from but if you get to know these guys they aren't as bad as they seem.

Also something to chew on from my viewpoint...6 firefighters have already died in the Line of Duty this week...4 of them in London. No one will care, it won't even make the news. I always hear how people will say they have respect for firefighters...why not go up to your local house and tell those guys yourself? All we hear is how the city wants to go to volunteers, not want to give us our raise so instead of being paid $23,000 a year. Cipher this is not for you nor to derail these threads but a little thank you goes a really long way.

This past week our crew ran two bad calls back to back...that 17 yr old brother and 14 yr old sister on their way to school...and then at the same school an 11 yr old died...thats a hard pill to swallow. So please don't judge us when we look pissed off or write us off the first time you see us. If we say we've had a bad day it's usually a really bad day...we weren't able to help someone and that pisses us off because we take it as our fault.

(Sorry for the long rant but today has been "one of those bad days")
( Last edited by iranfromthezoo; Nov 9, 2007 at 10:46 AM. )

Cipher13
Nov 9, 2007, 11:13 AM

I understand, really. People have bad days, and I try not to judge people based on my instant reactions. That doesn't cover the bad cops I know, unfortunately.

As I said though - firefighters are about as noble as people get, and props to you

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 11:40 AM

Sorry, but since when did cops become angelic creatures? I've found *most* cops are power hungry, racist, ignorant fools. To the credit of those that aren't that way, I've also met many that are extremely nice, but they're in an unfortunate minority.

Idealism is all when and good as long as you know it's nothing more than a fairytale, but seriously, where the hell did you pull all that crap from?
Have to agree with you here. Cops are people first and cops second. But, I think many/most of them forget their human-side when they get the badge and gun and become power crazy. (Or, maybe they are power crazy to begin with and gravitate to a field where they can actualize that desire for power.) Having a run-in with NY's finest in Lower Manhattan* just re-inforced for me the perception held by many that the NYPD sees the law as a hindrance to what they want to do instead of the reason they exist in the first place.

Having said that, it is sad that this guy in Broward/Dade died simply transporting a prisoner. From the stories I have read he seemed like one of the few decent cops out there with a general interest in helping people. I hope they put this guy back in the jail with the other prisoners that actually liked this deputy. They will take care of him in short time.

*For the record, I got arrested--technically for possession of an illegal knife--for refusing to show a cop my ID. (I was in cuffs and told I was under arrest before they told me *why* I was under arrest.) Both NYC and NYS are adherents of the "castle doctrine" and its extensions into the public sphere but that didn't stop the cops from insisting I show them my ID because I was acting suspicious by sitting on a park bench too long. Every attorney I spoke with about this matter--including the one who represented me in court--confirmed this arrest was an unequivocal violation of the "Terry Stop" procedures. And every one of those attorneys told me also that fighting the case on constitutional grounds was doomed to failure. So, I got spend six hours in jail, attend four court appearances and perform one day of community service because a half-dozen of NY's "finest" felt it necessary to violate the law and insist I show ID when the law does not permit them to do so without reasonable suspicion. (When I refused to show my ID I asked two times specifically if I was under arrest. Both times I was told "No" and when I asked if I was free to go I was told "Yes" and when I got up to go I was grabbed and put in handcuffs.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules