Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Intermittent Connection on Battery

Airport Intermittent Connection on Battery
HamSandwich
Jan 17, 2008, 05:41 PM

Why hasn't this issue been resolved yet by Apple?

Basically, I cannot use my laptop away from my desk because the choppy connection is just too annoying.

Everything is fine when power is connected.

HamSandwich
Jan 17, 2008, 05:50 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2008, 08:03 PM

It's likely that Leopard's power management features turn down the power level on the AirPort card when you're running on battery in order to save power. That's reasonable, but obviously not optimal for you. Have you a) tried changing your router's wireless channel? b) tried changing the elevation of your router? This is as in how high off the floor it is-raising it to eye level or higher is strongly encouraged because it improves the signal pattern the router's antennas establish.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HamSandwich
Jan 21, 2008, 04:40 PM

I had no issues before Leopard. Just realized this happens sometimes while power is connected also. Hopefully this is fixed with the first Leopard update.

HamSandwich
Feb 13, 2008, 11:26 AM

Still happening after the latest 10.5.2 update

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2008, 11:32 AM

What router have you got? I had a netgear and it annoyed me so much I just went and bought the airport extreme, everything was fine after that (even before 10.5.2).
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

HamSandwich
Feb 23, 2008, 04:13 PM

The other computer using the wireless network does not have any issues so I don't think it's the router.

I called AppleCare to see what they say. He was going to suggest an Archive and Install but the same thing happens when I log under a Guest account so it shouldn't be a corrupt Leopard file.

I thought it could be the battery because I have been having battery issues also and it only happens on battery but tried a new battery and same problem. I am 90% sure this started after Leopard so its got to be a bug or something is wrong with my Airport and I will need to send it in to get replaced...

Cold Warrior
Feb 23, 2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jmakkar View Post
He was going to suggest an Archive and Install but the same thing happens when I log under a Guest account so it shouldn't be a corrupt Leopard file.
If enough of the system is corrupt, it'll impact any account, new or old.

And it's still possible the router is impacting it. What's the router, encryption type, and the other computer?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2008, 10:26 PM

1) see my post about power management

2) some routers don't implement 802.11G and especially WPA as well as others-and AirPort cards have had problems with certain versions of certain routers sporadically forever.

3) User accounts ONLY control user-specific preferences, not global problems, so if you have problems with both a regular account and a guest account that points MORE toward it being an OS-file issue

Need info, lots of it. What hardware (ALL of it) you're using, how you have it configured (both the wiring and the software configuration), and how the user computers are configured.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HamSandwich
Mar 9, 2008, 06:42 PM

Update:

Went to the Apple Store and did not loose connection while using the stores WiFi so it is something specific to my network, but again the other Sony PC on my network does not have any issues (connecting via wireless D-Link adapter).

I have a D-Link DI 524 router (with latest firmware v5.10) and the network currently is not secured, but I use Mac Filtering to only allow everything I own to access the network. Changing the channels or securing it with WEP did not make a difference.

So to recap: Connection over AirPort is fine when power is connected. Once power is disconnected, the intermittent connection starts, usually a few minutes in. Problem does not seem to happen over other wireless networks, but I only tried one other network at the Apple store. So it should not be a hardware issue. Is it safe to assume it's also not an interference issue because it does not happen when connected to power?

I am on the phone now waiting for a second level networking tech, let's see what they say...

HamSandwich
Mar 9, 2008, 07:05 PM

Tried creating a new Network Location and changed the channel on the router again and so far over 5 minutes and it has not disconnected.

Basically if it does continue to happen, it is most likely my outdated D-Link firmware which was updated early last year way before Leopard. I doubt they will be coming out with any new firmware anytime soon since it's a pretty old router.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jmakkar View Post
Basically if it does continue to happen, it is most likely my outdated D-Link firmware which was updated early last year way before Leopard. I doubt they will be coming out with any new firmware anytime soon since it's a pretty old router.
Well, it's my experience that WiFi routers in general are flaky. With all of my 5 routers I had some issues, usually they stopped working after a while and needed a power cycling. Was annoying enough for me to stop using WLAN as a permanent means of connecting to the network.

My best experience so far was with Apple routers. My old Graphite Airport did not have those issues as bad as all other routers. Next time around, I will be buying another Airport, and not go with el cheapo from other companies.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules