Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I am gonna make a Ti sleeve myself, its a project.

I am gonna make a Ti sleeve myself, its a project.
Circa
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 10:16 PM

I figured that there is really no sleeve that fits the description I want. Padded, thin profile, compact, and simple without and pockets or straps.You see so many of the sleeves out there are not really that attractive to me I wanted a sleeve that was simple and I really did have a hard time finding it. The sleeve that I was looking for was one that would fit a tibook.

So I found one sleeve that fit the profle this one pictured below, that is made by Macs Only:

But then I found this thread in the ibook forum, it was on ibook sleeves. I looked at all of these sleeves mostly and didn't find one that looked good either. So really most of the sleeves that are made for the new ibook and the new tibook really aren't that good in my opinion (remember some of you may like the idea of tons of features, pockets, ect..) I personally don't though. But then I saw one post which had a link to a site and there was a guy that made his own ibook sleeve that is made out of neoprene. It looked great and sure enough as I hoped this guy posted directions on how he made it. So I got to the idea that I am going to adapt it to fit the tibook, and I will also make one for my lombard. I am going to post the finished sleeve here on the powerook forum when they are both done.

Here are some photos of what the ibook sleeve he made looks like:

In my opinion not bad for a home made job, and suprizingly the color doesn't look too bad either. I am probably going to do mine in a nice black or dark grey.

The link to his site is here: ibooks 2 sleeve

So as you can see I am impressed, and I am going to go ahead and make it as soon as I can get find some neopren, and some of the other accesories that are required to make this magical piece of art!

Tell me what you guys think? And remember I will post full color photos of it here in this or another thread when it is completed.

Thanks,
Circa
Circa

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 10:24 PM

Why would you want to put, or carry a $3000 PowerBook in a $2 sleeve?? Seems like tring to carry a dozen eggs home in your pocket

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 10:33 PM

I am going make a sleeve that is the same as most other sleeves on the market. I won't carry the notebooks in *just* the sleeve bugs. The sleeve will hold the powerbook which will fit in my skateboarding/snowboarding World Industries bag.

And its gonna look good and be worth it. BTW where is the all time good "leather" sleeve maker acadian? Haven't seen him in the forums for a while.
Circa

acadian
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 12:55 AM

Right here circa, best bet is to make a sleeve out of some sort of hide, (deer etc....) and stitch it with sinew, that's how I do mine. I made a sleeve for my Ti as well as one for Jule's iBook. It's really quite simple and I can e-mail you instructions.
people ruin everything....

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2001, 11:52 AM

I like this sleeve/ Very plain and simple.
I'm going to get some of this stuff and make one.
I hope I'll be able to find a more pleasing colour. (for my taste anyway.)
What about putting your Tibook in such a sleeve after you've used it for several hours? Burnproof?

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 05:32 PM

Hey Acadian its nice to see you again! That would be great, send me some instructions and I will try it out. Where do you recommend going for finding leather? I think leather would be cool too...

My e-mail is: [email protected]

But as far as doing the neopren sleeve I am still going to try it, I agree that color might not go that well with the ti or even ibook. But you can't go wrong with a nice black that is for sure. M�lum I know that some notebooks can get very hot but I wouldn't worry about it, I think this neopren material will do just fine.

Today I might go looking for some of the stuff, hopefully I can find everything. Acadian I would apprechiate it very much if you had instructions for your technique your sleeves looked very good.

BTW Acadian saw your review on the powerbook g4, it was very good thank you.

For those who haven't seen it yet you can find the link below: Acadians Review
Circa

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2001, 05:43 PM

American Tourister makes a briefcase with a built in sleeve that fits the TI like a glove. My TI hasn't gotten a scratch yet and I've had the briefcase at least a month now.

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: buddy1065 ]

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 05:47 PM

Why did you just quote my last post?
Circa

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 05:49 PM

buddy1065 I see you just edited the post. Ok cool.
Circa

acadian
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 09:43 PM

Allright, allright, after several e-mails, I am posting a simple diagram on how to make a leather sleeve for your Ti book, iBook etc......

what you will need;

- approx. 4 sq.ft. of rawhide. (deer, cow, whatever... you can find this at any tannery or leather shop, you can even cut up an old jacket if you want)

- heavy darning needle, again readily available at a craft store

- thick sail thread or fishing line. My preference is real sinew but this may be difficult to find. You can however find fake sinew at a craft store, just as good and add's a nice touch over regular sail thread.

- An awl or other form of sharp punch, this is imperative as you will need to pre-punch the holes for the threading in the hide. Dont try pushing a needle through rawhide, it's a painfull experience!

- Hammer. To use with the awl, duhh!

- Some form of clamp. Three wide jaw vise grips are best but large paper clamps work as well!

Essentially, you are just making a pouch with a flap for your book. Cut the material twice the depth of the book plus approx. 4 inches for the flap, and the width of the book plus 1 1/2 inches (3/4 inches overhang off each side). Dont punch the holes too big, just enough to get the end of the needle through. Punch them about 1 inch apart and 1/4 inch from the edge. Follow the diagram and, HAVE FUN!!!!

For anyone who actuallu goes through with one, please post pics!!!
Here are 2 sleeves that I have made, one for an iBook and one for my Ti.

The diagram can be found HERE.Sleeve
people ruin everything....

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2001, 09:59 PM

Ya acadian if I find the leather and these materials/tools I will for sure post pics. But now I have to see if I find the stuff first, I think the neopren sleeve would be the easiest to do, just because I and others can probably find the materials easier. But there doesn't look like there is much involved in doing the leather one.

I want to do both now!!
Circa

Forum Links
Forum Rules