Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Server 10user or Unlimited?

OS X Server 10user or Unlimited?
ingalaxy
Jun 28, 2001, 06:53 AM

If I do not want to use OS X Server as a file server at all, only web services (like www, ftp, mail, dns, SQL etc) Can I get away with a 10user version? Can I remote control over internet with something like Timbuktu 2000?
Quicksilver 867, 1GB RAM, 60 and 40GB HD, SuperDrive

alexkent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 10:55 AM

don't know about the 10 user vs. unlimited but you can control osx remotely via VNC, check here:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

that has a link to VNC servers and viewers for osx server 10.0

alexkent.

alexkent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 11:58 AM

there is a osx server faq which says:

"Client restrictions apply to simultaneous Apple File Protocol connections only, primarily used by Apple file services, Macintosh Manager, and Netboot. The client restrictions do not apply to Windows, UINX, and Linux files services; email sevices; or web hosting services - such as apache, quicktime streaming server, and webobjects."

so 10 user version should be fine for web based services only.

alex.

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 29, 2001, 03:48 PM

As long as you don't need, for any reason to have more than 10 simultaneous afp users on the Server, then you are fine going with the 10-user license. You can remotely administer the Server through a number of ways, VNC is definitely an option, but none of the currently existing servers and clients are completely finished, so i would not recommend that route for Server control. Timbuktu is also another option as OSXS has timbuktu support, but I have no practical experience using it.

Of course, you could just use the Server Admin program that is provided, which can be installed on a remote system (insturctions are in teh Server Admin handbook).

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 29, 2001, 04:11 PM

As long as you don't need, for any reason to have more than 10 simultaneous afp users on the Server, then you are fine going with the 10-user license. You can remotely administer the Server through a number of ways, VNC is definitely an option, but none of the currently existing servers and clients are completely finished, so i would not recommend that route for Server control. Timbuktu is also another option as OSXS has timbuktu support, but I have no practical experience using it.

Of course, you could just use the Server Admin program that is provided, which can be installed on a remote system (insturctions are in teh Server Admin handbook).

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

ingalaxy  (op)
Jun 29, 2001, 08:43 PM

Server admin is available only for Mac OS based computers. I am guessing, I cannot use it on a PC laptop? Can I?
Quicksilver 867, 1GB RAM, 60 and 40GB HD, SuperDrive

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 04:09 AM

Does that mean that the 10 client version can be used to netboot 250 Macs? We need a Mac Manager and Net Boot server to control cluster Macs here on campus. I think that OS X server is a much better option than ASIP, but we need to provide internet access from all 250 machines simultaneously, but the box running OS X server will be doing no file serving at all. Can we get by with the 10 client?

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 30, 2001, 11:49 AM

ingalaxy - Server Admin will only run on OS X machines, at least as far as I'm aware.

waffffle - I am not an expert on Netboot as I have had no need to use it, but, i did just review the material in the Administrator's Guide. I am not entirely sure I understand how NetBoot works, but it does not appear to be a function of afp. However, if you want to set-up workspace and workgroups, then you need to set-up users and groups and that becomes a factor of afp. I would definitely say look into it some more, but on first review I would have to say the 10-user license would work if you didn't need any authentication protocol for users. Also, it does have some rigid performance requirements, which could elliminate using just one server in an environment of more than 50.

Ciao!

Forum Links
Forum Rules